3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some ??? for everyone that has done the white face gauge swap>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 11:05 AM

Hi fellas, I'm have some ??? about the white gauges from an SE. I drive a 1990 GXE(auto) and I'm looking to get some SE gauges off an '89(5spd). I know the 5spd doesn't have the OD light and mine does. Can't I just unscrew the gauges and swap them into my cluster so I can still keep my OD light??

I had some white gauges in my car not to long ago, but the tach was all phuked up. The one thing I noticed was that my auto tranny shifted at different speeds than what my original black gauges used too. If the gauges are exactly the same then why does that happen?? I'm guessing that the trannies are differnt making the gauges different. I also noticed that the white temp gauge was reading a slightly higher temperature. Is that normal or is it because of something else??

Any other recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated.

Take care all,
ICE
Old 01-02-2001, 11:58 AM

ok...

I don't see any reason why new gauges would have made your tranny shift at different points, the guages have nothing to do with the shifting. You can just put new white face's onto yours instead of the whole cluster (i think ngthing or someone sells these search for previous posts).
Old 01-02-2001, 08:11 PM
UNEEK 1

I changed the gauges in my car and I swapped out the whole cluster just changed to miles so I had my orig. miles in the new white gauges. I have the auto. but I got 5speed gauges so I can't see the O/D light anymore but it's worth it. Peace

Old 01-22-2001, 05:40 PM

I am about to buy an 89 SE cluster for $85 + shipping (from Utah to Chicago). Is this a reasonable price, or am I being raped?

How easily did you change the miles on the odometer?

I don't know if this was answered before, but if I got the whole cluster, couldn't I just take the faces off and replace my GXE faces and not have to worry about any warning lights? But then I would have to deal with those pesky needles.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:51 PM

some answers

Originally posted by ghostmax
I am about to buy an 89 SE cluster for $85 + shipping (from Utah to Chicago). Is this a reasonable price, or am I being raped?

How easily did you change the miles on the odometer?

I don't know if this was answered before, but if I got the whole cluster, couldn't I just take the faces off and replace my GXE faces and not have to worry about any warning lights? But then I would have to deal with those pesky needles.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ok so you got the original white gauges off an SE. Your good to go. You don't need to worry about the od from the new cluster. All you have to do is unscrew each gauge and just swap them out. Just use your ORIGINAL cluster so you can keep your od. DON'T TRY AND PRY THE WHITE FACE OVERLAYS OFF!!! AND DON'T **** WITH THE NEEDLES BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY UNNECCESARY!! Ok, enough screaming. I'm sure that once you get the cluster out that you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anymore ?? just ask,
ICE

Old 01-22-2001, 06:15 PM

In my opinion, replacing the gauges for $85 or whatever is expensive! I just got overlays made for my car, it looks just like the SEs white face gauges and it all fits perfect. the only thing that is different is, when I change my bulbs behind my gauges it will always shine green because of something inthe acutal gauge, no biggie.