3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Heads on my 92 SE's VE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

VG Heads on my 92 SE's VE?

Its my understanding that the only difference between the na VG and the VE is the cylinder heads. My VE needs new valve seals which will really suck. Im thinking perhaps i could fit some VG cylinder heads on it? Obviously, the bore of the two engines is the same. Anyone come up with any ideas as to why it wouldnt work?
Old 12-24-2002, 02:04 PM

didnt u just say VG and VE heads are different?

i dont know. come back when u get the facts. and we will discuss.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:09 PM
I love lamp.

Re: VG Heads on my 92 SE's VE?

Originally posted by soulfury
Its my understanding that the only difference between the na VG and the VE is the cylinder heads. My VE needs new valve seals which will really suck. Im thinking perhaps i could fit some VG cylinder heads on it? Obviously, the bore of the two engines is the same. Anyone come up with any ideas as to why it wouldnt work?
Well I'm going to tell you, putting VG heads on a VE would be worst thing you can do to your car. The VE is a 24 valve, chain driven DOHC, where the VG is a 12 valve, belt driven SOHC. The fit is questionable The block is almost the same except there is probably some different in the mounting pattern. If you were even able to get VG heads on, your going to loose a bunch of power, as much as 30 horses. You can do one of a few things, 1, find new VE heads for your motor, hell you might be able to fit VQ heads, but you aren't gaining anything from that. 2, if you want to do a VG, there is no sense going back to VG30E, you probably want to have more horsepower. You will probably want to go with a VG30ET turbo which produces 200+ hp, or a NA VG30DE, which you can get out of a 300ZX or Infinity J30, that produces 222hp. You may scrape by with a VG30DETT, but its a very very tight and you will no doubt run into fit issues. Either way, don't do your car a disservice by putting a lower power engine in, or detuning it by putting on different heads, you'll regret it big time. Though I'm a big fan of the VG, I don't think it makes sense to take away from a car, especially power.
Sarin
Old 12-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

having VTCs doesn't matter than I guess....
Old 12-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no no

Well I'm going to tell you, putting VG heads on a VE would be worst thing you can do to your car. The VE is a 24 valve, chain driven DOHC, where the VG is a 12 valve, belt driven SOHC. The fit is questionable The block is almost the same except there is probably some different in the mounting pattern. If you were even able to get VG heads on, your going to loose a bunch of power, as much as 30 horses. You can do one of a few things, 1, find new VE heads for your motor, hell you might be able to fit VQ heads, but you aren't gaining anything from that. 2, if you want to do a VG, there is no sense going back to VG30E, you probably want to have more horsepower. You will probably want to go with a VG30ET turbo which produces 200+ hp, or a NA VG30DE, which you can get out of a 300ZX or Infinity J30, that produces 222hp. You may scrape by with a VG30DETT, but its a very very tight and you will no doubt run into fit issues. Either way, don't do your car a disservice by putting a lower power engine in, or detuning it by putting on different heads, you'll regret it big time. Though I'm a big fan of the VG, I don't think it makes sense to take away from a car, especially power.
Sarin
I should have been more clear. I meant VG heads from the VG30DE. There would still be 24 valves man
Old 12-24-2002, 02:24 PM
STFU n00b!

replacing the valve seals is MUCH easier than anything of that sort. pull the heads and you can have someone rebuild them for you for about $300. that's cheaper than it would cost just to BUY the VG30DE heads, let alone figur eout how to install them and fit chain-drive sprockets on them.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:33 PM
I love lamp.

Re: no no

I should have been more clear. I meant VG heads from the VG30DE. There would still be 24 valves man
Ahhh gotcha.....I was looking at that saying...he can't be serious! Thanks for clearing that up. I will have to agree with Matt93SE, it would probably be cheaper for you to rebuild your heads then try to fit new ones on, or even doing a motor swap. As long as the bottom end still is good you should be all set.

S
Old 12-24-2002, 03:27 PM

Re: no no

Dood VG30DE heads use a timing belt and not a chain . Even what would you do, rig a timing belt or rig the heads for a timing chain .

I should have been more clear. I meant VG heads from the VG30DE. There would still be 24 valves man )
Old 12-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I forgot about the timing problem. I wonder how hard it would be to fit the VG heads with a chain setup? I guess i'll have to get the two heads side by side and see. As for the cost, dont assume im going to pay what you might have to for some VG heads. I know where a VG30DE is from a 92 Z32 than i can pull for fifty bucks. As for installing new valve seals being easier than this head idea of mine...no ****, but new seals wont bump it from 190 to 220 now will they. This VE has 430K miles on it, original manual trans. The rings are fine, but im sure i'll have to pull the engine for a rebuild before long. I can say this though, this forum/you guys are more helpfull than i imagined =)
Old 12-24-2002, 05:35 PM

Why not just install the entire engine LOL ? I'm hoping you have a FSM or take a good look at the VE in Jeff's old sig. It won't work!!!, good idea but not possible. It would be alot easier to just pull the motor, install pistons and get the headwork than to swap non-interchanges' from VG to VE. Here is something to consider assuming you get VGDE heads to work, the IM is different way different. It faces the wrong way and a VE IM won't fit.

I forgot about the timing problem. I wonder how hard it would be to fit the VG heads with a chain setup? I guess i'll have to get the two heads side by side and see. As for the cost, dont assume im going to pay what you might have to for some VG heads. I know where a VG30DE is from a 92 Z32 than i can pull for fifty bucks. As for installing new valve seals being easier than this head idea of mine...no ****, but new seals wont bump it from 190 to 220 now will they. This VE has 430K miles on it, original manual trans. The rings are fine, but im sure i'll have to pull the engine for a rebuild before long. I can say this though, this forum/you guys are more helpfull than i imagined =)
Old 12-25-2002, 06:19 AM

This VE has 430K miles on it, original manual trans. The rings are fine, but im sure i'll have to pull the engine for a rebuild before long.
I think that's a record! You got a pic of that odo?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by RosenKen

I think that's a record! You got a pic of that odo?
Seriously. 430 grand puts some diesels to shame. I honestly would like to see a picture of the odometer, just for the novelty. Has it been rebuilt or overhauled ever? new gaskets even?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:55 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Sawby4president

Seriously. 430 grand puts some diesels to shame. I honestly would like to see a picture of the odometer, just for the novelty. Has it been rebuilt or overhauled ever? new gaskets even?
Damn 430k, you must do a lot of highway driving, my 86 only has 187k on it. The only cars I know that have more than that is a Volvo P1800, and a Mercedes 240D Diesel. Both have past 1,000,000 miles. If you did a motor overhaul, I betcha you can reach that if you do a lot of driving.

S
Old 12-25-2002, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

Damn 430k, you must do a lot of highway driving, my 86 only has 187k on it. The only cars I know that have more than that is a Volvo P1800, and a Mercedes 240D Diesel. Both have past 1,000,000 miles. If you did a motor overhaul, I betcha you can reach that if you do a lot of driving.

S
I've heard of volkswagen diesels and honda gas engines (read somewhere on the internet about a guy with a 700,000 mile civic) making it to 700,000 and 800,000 miles, so it's doable. It's especially remarkable on a VE motor, with its redoubtable VTC system. Overhauling the motor would be cheating though, for me it's drive it until it dies.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Sawby4president

I've heard of volkswagen diesels and honda gas engines (read somewhere on the internet about a guy with a 700,000 mile civic) making it to 700,000 and 800,000 miles, so it's doable. It's especially remarkable on a VE motor, with its redoubtable VTC system. Overhauling the motor would be cheating though, for me it's drive it until it dies.
I've never overhauled this engine. I got it from my girl's mom, for my girl. Her mom drove it back and forth to work 140 miles everyday for a few years. I've never taken a picture of the odometer but i suppose theres no reason i cant. I will sometime when theres a camra handy.