3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heater question (brrrr!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heater question (brrrr!)

Well, I'm in Arizona, so I probably won't get much sympathy from a lot of you, but, here goes! My heater takes a LONG time to warm up. The temp gauge goes to it's normal position within 3-4 minutes, but 15 minutes of driving doesn't warm up the air blowing out of my vents. Then, all of a sudden, it gets HOT almost instantly, and the temp gauge hasn't moved. Is this normal? I thought once my coolant warmed up, it would blow warm air from the heater core. Every other import car I've owned has had hot air available almost instantly from the heater. I can't imagine why this car would be different. Even though this car has been in my family for years, I've never noticed this problem before this winter...

Old 12-25-2002, 07:28 PM

Re: Heater question (brrrr!)

Originally posted by 89maxaz
Well, I'm in Arizona, so I probably won't get much sympathy from a lot of you, but, here goes! My heater takes a LONG time to warm up. The temp gauge goes to it's normal position within 3-4 minutes, but 15 minutes of driving doesn't warm up the air blowing out of my vents. Then, all of a sudden, it gets HOT almost instantly, and the temp gauge hasn't moved. Is this normal? I thought once my coolant warmed up, it would blow warm air from the heater core. Every other import car I've owned has had hot air available almost instantly from the heater. I can't imagine why this car would be different. Even though this car has been in my family for years, I've never noticed this problem before this winter...

I have the same problem and have no clue what the hell it is or what to do to fix it and I am here in PA
Old 12-25-2002, 07:45 PM

your heater valve MAY need some WD-40...it may be getting stuck for short periods of time. thats what fixed mine
Old 12-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by drstillpatient
your heater valve MAY need some WD-40...it may be getting stuck for short periods of time. thats what fixed mine
Where's the heater valve located? Under dash? Are you referring to the valve that actuates when you slide your temp control from cold to hot (or v.v)???

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2002, 10:19 PM

its located under the hood...way back right by the firewall, in the center area of the firewall. Its sorta round on one end and has a moving arm at the other end...this is what gets stuck. i hope the description helps
Old 12-26-2002, 05:21 PM

i'm havin tha same problem too, but my air gets warmer harder i push the car, but when i get to an idle, the air gets cold again...looks like i'll try to find this heating valve that was mention.....quick question though, how can you tell if the heater coil is going out, it will start leaking right?
Old 12-26-2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by maxdout92se
i'm havin tha same problem too, but my air gets warmer harder i push the car, but when i get to an idle, the air gets cold again...looks like i'll try to find this heating valve that was mention.....quick question though, how can you tell if the heater coil is going out, it will start leaking right?
Most core failures I have seen will start leaking- usually into the passenger compartment onto the passenger floorboard or somewhere like that. I suppose it is possible for the core to be full of corrosion (like when you look in your radiator cap) and therefore not transferring heat very efficiently...
Old 12-26-2002, 07:36 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by 89maxaz

Most core failures I have seen will start leaking- usually into the passenger compartment onto the passenger floorboard or somewhere like that. I suppose it is possible for the core to be full of corrosion (like when you look in your radiator cap) and therefore not transferring heat very efficiently...
I agree with 89maxaz, sounds like you got a bunch of sediment and corrosion in the heater core. What you can do is flush the cooling system. That ususally helps get all the crap out. Give that a try, but if not you might start having the heater core checked out by someone.

S
Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 PM

I was having a similar problem but mine is the reverse. When my car would idle the temp guage would go up to normal and hot air, and during normal driving drop off to cold and only luke warm air from the vent. Replaced stermostat problem fixed!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:29 PM

mine did the same thing but also the temp gauge dropped when i would punch the gas in gear and in any gear. it wouldn't drop while in neutral but while in gear, anyone know why this would happen? also, i bypassed the valve that is on the firewall and i still get no heat and when i do get heat i can still control the temperature somehow any ideas anyone?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:32 AM

I have the same problem, my valve is stuck. At first it was stuck inbeween hot and cold, but I forced the valve over to the hot side. Now when my car idles it smells like someone dumped a gallon of fuel on my seats. Its a raw smell that stays with the car until I get going and then in goes away. Also since I have closed the valve I have noticed that I lost power. Are these smells and the drop in power from the valve being seized in the hot position? Does anyone know what a decent price is to have a heater control valve replaced. Please help!!!