3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Supercharged Max

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 02:18 AM

Supercharged Max

Just wanted to know if this is possible on a 93 maxima(or any maxima). Has anybody ever tried this b4? A friend down here wants me to try to do this. Can't afford turbo or NOS. But want to see if this a cheaper way of getting more power. I did a search, but could not find anything. If you guys have any advice or this is not possible, let a brother know
Old 01-13-2003, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Supercharged Max

Originally posted by EdzMax
Just wanted to know if this is possible on a 93 maxima(or any maxima). Has anybody ever tried this b4? A friend down here wants me to try to do this. Can't afford turbo or NOS. But want to see if this a cheaper way of getting more power. I did a search, but could not find anything. If you guys have any advice or this is not possible, let a brother know
Any kind of forced induction cost a lot of money. No one makes a supercharger for the '89-'94 Maxima. Therefore, it would have to be a custom job which would cost a LOT more. You would be able to afford several NOS systems before a turbo or a supercharger.

Installing a turbo is possible and has been done. However, I would highly encourage you to search on this topic. There is at least one active thread on the subject and many more in the archives.

I.M.O, you should have at least $3k - $4k on hand before attemtpting a project like this. It is not simple, easy, quick, or for the inexperienced.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Can't afford turbo or NOS.
if you can't affford an nitrous system then there is no way in hell you can afford a custom supercharged setup(which would cost thousands more than a nitrous system. you need to do more research.....
Old 01-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

if you can't afford NOS you can't afford and intake and exhaust
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

nah..he lives in new zealand..things are considerably cheaper there. Cost of living is alot less. Intake and exhaust can be had real cheap. But supercharing would be a whole other story.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Sudesh

nah..he lives in new zealand..things are considerably cheaper there. Cost of living is alot less. Intake and exhaust can be had real cheap. But supercharing would be a whole other story.
true...but i believe parts are hard to come by...no?
Old 01-13-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

true...but i believe parts are hard to come by...no?

nah..from the way I hear it, Nissan is a domestic vehicle for them, as opposed to nissan being an import for us. OEM parts are cheaper. Also, engines are imported from australia and new zealand to the us (sr20det's..etc). I would say they have a fairly larger handle on the game than us. I actually imported a header from australia for my stanza (members.cardomain.com/sudesh). I paid $140 for the header there, when it's not even made here, and if it was made here it would cost upwards of $300. I'm getting my cam reground, it's gonna cost me about $150..over there a guy already did his for about $50US. Exhaust and intakes are mandrel bent very cheaply there..too bad for us
Old 01-13-2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
I've already asked about NOS & a guy down here who imports all kinds of parts said its going to cost me $2,5k to $3k for a Nos system with labour & parts. Intake & exhaust was still expensive, but I got it done
Old 01-13-2003, 11:08 AM

nah..from the way I hear it, Nissan is a domestic vehicle for them, as opposed to nissan being an import for us. OEM parts are cheaper. Also, engines are imported from australia and new zealand to the us (sr20det's..etc). I would say they have a fairly larger handle on the game than us. I actually imported a header from australia for my stanza (members.cardomain.com/sudesh). I paid $140 for the header there, when it's not even made here, and if it was made here it would cost upwards of $300. I'm getting my cam reground, it's gonna cost me about $150..over there a guy already did his for about $50US. Exhaust and intakes are mandrel bent very cheaply there..too bad for us
maybe in aussie, but not here. the NZ $ sucks compared to US. My exhaust cost me $550 with install & intake cost me $180(installed myself)
Old 01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I've already asked about NOS & a guy down here who imports all kinds of parts said its going to cost me $2,5k to $3k for a Nos system with labour & parts.
$2-5k...WTF was he smoking?? a well installed nitrous system shouldn't run more than $800-1k(if that, depending on whats installed). even if shipping is a big deal...$2k for a nitrous system is ridicuolous...the dude is and ******* and trying to get you for your money!!!

and ****, if you're gonna let someone rip you off like that over some nitrous, just think how bad you'd get ripped trying to setup a custom supercharger. be careful where you shop!!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 06:14 PM

Kelford Cams use to do a supercharger kit. It runs for about $6-8K.

Brent.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Soul Fly

look at "My VE Turbo" - not hard to miss on the 3rd gen forum

Old 01-13-2003, 07:17 PM

Do what Mark Cookson is doing. Drop a 300ZX engine into your Maxima!!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

$2-5k...WTF was he smoking?? a well installed nitrous system shouldn't run more than $800-1k(if that, depending on whats installed). even if shipping is a big deal...$2k for a nitrous system is ridicuolous...the dude is and ******* and trying to get you for your money!!!

and ****, if you're gonna let someone rip you off like that over some nitrous, just think how bad you'd get ripped trying to setup a custom supercharger. be careful where you shop!!!!
Dude, I live in NEW ZEALAND, NOT AMERICA!!!! For $1 US dollar is about $1.60. So as you can see that is why I would pay $2,500 to $3,000 for NOS.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Soul Fly
look at "My VE Turbo" - not hard to miss on the 3rd gen forum
Ure comment sucks!!!! If I still lived in America, I would have a big head too. But since I don't live here & a friend asked me about this, I thought I would ask But, I see that Nos is my only option "DOWN HERE", I think I will do that later on.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Dude, I live in NEW ZEALAND, NOT AMERICA!!!! For $1 US dollar is about $1.60. So as you can see that is why I would pay $2,500 to $3,000 for NOS.
Dude, I live in the REAL WORLD!!!! there is no way you're gonna get a custom supercharger put on a Max for less than it would cost to buy and install nitorus no matter where you live.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:56 PM

Dude, I live in the REAL WORLD!!!! there is no way you're gonna get a custom supercharger put on a Max for less than it would cost to buy and install nitorus no matter where you live.
Dude, thats why I asked the question. Read the first comment i made So, If supercharger is going to cost me the same, what would you recommend I do?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:53 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I actually imported a header from australia for my stanza (members.cardomain.com/sudesh).
I'm thinking 'damn that thing looks like a Pintara' then I read the second page.

Fabrication is cheap down here, local and JDM performance parts are cheap and plentiful, but anything OEM is very expensive compared to the US. Some of the prices you guys pay for OEM parts is amazing, very cheap. Big volumes I suppose.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by lp

I'm thinking 'damn that thing looks like a Pintara' then I read the second page.

Fabrication is cheap down here, local and JDM performance parts are cheap and plentiful, but anything OEM is very expensive compared to the US. Some of the prices you guys pay for OEM parts is amazing, very cheap. Big volumes I suppose.

YEah..the australian version of the Stanza is a Pintara. It would have been all explained on the first page which got deleted because i clicked the wrong thing. DOh. OEM parts over here CHEAP!? man..i wish, autozone would go out of business and stop whoring up my car.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:34 AM

Dude, thats why I asked the question. Read the first comment i made So, If supercharger is going to cost me the same, what would you recommend I do?

If a supercharger set up is going to cost as much as you installing nitrous onto the car, then obviously you should go with the supercharger. Nitrous may be able to get you alot of power easily, but it destroys your motor quick.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:41 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

heres the point......

a centrifugal supercharger(just the compressor unit, no pipes, brackets, etc.) in the US will cost over $1000(used maybe $800) so if importing and price change is so difficult in NZ than you are looking at what $2000+ for just the SC unit. then figure in another $1-2k++ for the R&D of parts, custom pulley setup and pipes, another $1-2 for the install...and all of the other custom thing you might have to reorganize in the engine bay to even try to accomodate the blower.

then theres a roots type blower...you can probably get one of those units for around $6-700USD used but hell, who needs a hood right.

like I said in the first post, do your research and you'll see what costs you are looking at.....
Old 01-14-2003, 11:03 AM

heres the point......

a centrifugal supercharger(just the compressor unit, no pipes, brackets, etc.) in the US will cost over $1000(used maybe $800) so if importing and price change is so difficult in NZ than you are looking at what $2000+ for just the SC unit. then figure in another $1-2k++ for the R&D of parts, custom pulley setup and pipes, another $1-2 for the install...and all of the other custom thing you might have to reorganize in the engine bay to even try to accomodate the blower.

then theres a roots type blower...you can probably get one of those units for around $6-700USD used but hell, who needs a hood right.

like I said in the first post, do your research and you'll see what costs you are looking at.....
Thanks man, this is what I was really looking for. But as far as research, this is my research. Guys talking about turbos, I wanted to find out about superchargers But I see it will be worth more than the car, so I will forget that idea.