3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing B|elt on vg

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:17 PM

Timing B|elt on vg

HAs anyone installed thier own timing belt on a 90 or another vg? I'm running into some problems with the damn tensioner. the book I'
m reading from tells me to rotate the tensioner clockwise until it stops, then apply the belt, then test it with a feeler gauge. Is this right? |Can anyone simplify this for me?
Jav
Old 01-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you installing or taking out the belt at the moment?
Old 01-15-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by mtcookson
are you installing or taking out the belt at the moment?
I'm installing right now, I made the mistake of not paying attention when I took it off. Oh and should the tensioner (part that sticks up on the spring) be on the left or right side of the stud to create the tensio. I'm thinking it's the left? Hellllp
Jav
Old 01-15-2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Artwistj

I'm installing right now, I made the mistake of not paying attention when I took it off. Oh and should the tensioner (part that sticks up on the spring) be on the left or right side of the stud to create the tensio. I'm thinking it's the left? Hellllp
Jav
lol....umm....are you thinking right now that you should have given it to someone to do? I looked at the work i had to do and gave up without even starting (didnt have a work area or tools either). paid someone 3bills to get it done right. We should have an address book of local .org members that are knowledgeable in stuff like this just in case so the non confident/knowledgeable ones can run to nearby members for help....
Old 01-15-2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by lophix

lol....umm....are you thinking right now that you should have given it to someone to do? I looked at the work i had to do and gave up without even starting (didnt have a work area or tools either). paid someone 3bills to get it done right. We should have an address book of local .org members that are knowledgeable in stuff like this just in case so the non confident/knowledgeable ones can run to nearby members for help....
|C'mon bro..hya can't give up that easy...It's all done now, I even figured out how to add a small advance to the timing....all you have to do is set the tensioner at full (clockwise) then apply the belt. Twist the right side of the belt, (between the crank and the right bank cam), if it twists more than 90 deg, it;s too loose, no less than 90 deg, too tight. Oh yea...she runs sweet! I replaced the tensioner spring, this is a good idea, cause if this goes, so goes the block. Hope this helps someone out there.
Mahalo.
Jav
Old 01-15-2003, 05:56 PM

|C'mon bro..hya can't give up that easy...It's all done now, I even figured out how to add a small advance to the timing....all you have to do is set the tensioner at full (clockwise) then apply the belt. Twist the right side of the belt, (between the crank and the right bank cam), if it twists more than 90 deg, it;s too loose, no less than 90 deg, too tight. Oh yea...she runs sweet! I replaced the tensioner spring, this is a good idea, cause if this goes, so goes the block. Hope this helps someone out there.
Mahalo.
Jav

wow that's good. you're good to go for another 150k miles. you know how there are some things that you can attempth to do on a car and there are others that leave little room for error....that's the same way i feel about stuff like the timing belt, brakes and front arms and stuff. well done on the work you did tho.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whoa whoa, not 150k. they recommend to change it every 60k miles. i'm sure it could handle 150k but that wouldn't be a good idea to test it.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
whoa whoa, not 150k. they recommend to change it every 60k miles. i'm sure it could handle 150k but that wouldn't be a good idea to test it.
THankks for the props, bro..yea, about the 151k..no way I stretched one out to 75k when I first bought the car and it was just about to wear throught the top...close *** call! Keep it at 60, this one was at 40, but the waterpump was seeping more than I like it to, so I figured "what the hell?"
J
Old 01-16-2003, 07:26 AM

THankks for the props, bro..yea, about the 151k..no way I stretched one out to 75k when I first bought the car and it was just about to wear throught the top...close *** call! Keep it at 60, this one was at 40, but the waterpump was seeping more than I like it to, so I figured "what the hell?"
J

hmm thats a point to note...considering i changed mine at about 165-170k.....guess i'll get it changed again at 210k or with the rebuild