3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:21 PM
94MAXGXE

Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Hi All,

Reading the fourm for about a month now, great forum, lots of good info.
I have a 94 MAX GXE that my 17 year old son and I picked up. 130K on it, but it runs like a top. Fluids clean, new water pump/thermostat/belts, good brakes/tires............

It's time to get the suspension in good shape.

Ordered front control arm bushings from Courtesy Nissan over in Texas along with a right front fender splash shield. The bushings were ~$15/R and $9/Front. Local dealer says front smaller bushing is not listed, so you must buy the whole control arm $200...sure
Courtesy says the front smaller bushing is the same as an 1989 an it will work.

The local Nissan dealer wanted $60 for the splash shield, {MAXIMA.ORG discount} Courtesy said $23..WOW

Then started looking for struts. From the forum,
<search,search,search> sounds like KYB GR2 are the only way to go for me.
Found a place called Taylor Automotive in NC.

They have KYB-GR2 for $45.71 front, and $35.26 rear, all four = $161.94 + S/H. ($15 UPS ground for MI)
Of course, I will need boot / bumper kit / front bearings,and maybe strut mounts all around, Taylor seems to have good prices on them also.

Have any of you ever had any dealings with Taylor?
If you see a better price for these struts, please let me know.
To darn cold to do this job now, thinking ahead to spring.
Thanks,
Take Care
Jim

http://www.courtesyparts.com/
http://www.taylorautomotive.com/

Old 01-17-2003, 05:31 PM

I think that is a great price for the struts! I payed way to much from a local shop here in VA for the struts! But i need the struts ASAP and i payed like $70 for fronts and $50 for rears ( I know, I know i got raped ) but couldnt wait for some company to ship them.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by nstymax93
I think that is a great price for the struts! I payed way to much from a local shop here in VA for the struts! But i need the struts ASAP and i payed like $70 for fronts and $50 for rears ( I know, I know i got raped ) but couldnt wait for some company to ship them.
that IS a good price...think you got raped? I got bent over. 110 a piece for the fronts. and i needed them asap too. later that night i checked tirerack.com....i haven't stopped beating myself upside the head since...
Old 01-17-2003, 07:35 PM

Re: Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Where did you find the rear struts on the taylorautomotive site. I could only find the front struts. Did you have to call them for the price?
Originally posted by 94MAXGXE
Hi All,

I have a 94 MAX GXE that my 17 year old son and I picked up. 130K on it, but it runs like a top. Fluids clean, new water pump/thermostat/belts, good brakes/tires............

Ordered front control arm bushings from Courtesy Nissan over in Texas along with a right front fender splash shield. The bushings were ~$15/R and $9/Front. Local dealer says front smaller bushing is not listed, so you must buy the whole control arm $200...sure

The local Nissan dealer wanted $60 for the splash shield, {MAXIMA.ORG discount} Courtesy said $23..WOW

<search,search,search> sounds like KYB GR2 are the only way to go for me.

They have KYB-GR2 for $45.71 front, and $35.26 rear, all four = $161.94 + S/H. ($15 UPS ground for MI)
Of course, I will need boot / bumper kit / front bearings,and maybe strut mounts all around, Taylor seems to have good prices on them also.

Thanks,
Take Care
Jim

Old 01-17-2003, 09:05 PM

Re: Re: Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Originally posted by erivera788
Where did you find the rear struts on the taylorautomotive site. I could only find the front struts. Did you have to call them for the price?
Also were the rears struts 0r replacement cartridges?
Old 01-18-2003, 12:16 PM
94MAXGXE

Re: Re: Re: Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Also were the rears struts 0r replacement cartridges?

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing available for my car, with struts on all four, is the replacement cartrage for the rear.

They are listed on the Taylor site under "strut insert..."

Old 01-18-2003, 11:39 PM

www.foreignautoparts.cc this place is pretty good, check them out, they actually are the same warehouse that Jagoworks.com use to ship from.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:57 AM

i just got my KYB GR2s from foreignautoparts. my front stocks were crap.

good service and support. Their price was only 2-3 bucks more for the fronts than taylor's.
the GR2s are awesome. city or highway...the ride and control is just great.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by drstillpatient
i just got my KYB GR2s from foreignautoparts. my front stocks were crap.

good service and support. Their price was only 2-3 bucks more for the fronts than taylor's.
the GR2s are awesome. city or highway...the ride and control is just great.
You get the rear assembly or inserts? Maybe you know answer to this question? I'm have the nissan stock struts still on my max. I bought it about 1 1/2 years ago. The ride is sloppy and front strut starting to make noise. Can the KYB insert be used with the original nissan strut assembly, would you recommend I get inserts or the whole strut assembly. Do kyb sell the whole strut assembly?

I got these part numbers front PepBoys.
A235051MAX - $88
A235052MAX - $88

the rears are
A365079MAX - $69 Are these inserts or Strut Assembly?

Thanks for you advice in advance.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:34 PM

they sell rear cartriges only for the KYBs, not the whole assembly, atleast i havent seen the whole cartriges with them....i only got the front struts cuz they were the bad ones...the rear are still in perfect shape.

i dont think i helped you much there but good luck with the purchase!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:40 AM

The rear strut is the only part that get a cartridge because the strut itself at the bottom is a big support to many things like the sway bar, radius rod, brake shield, brake rotor, brake caliper, etc. As you can see this is a very important piece that holds many things in place. The only place they sell these things new would be at a dealer. It's a pain in the a** to change the rear but with time and the correct tools, it's not that bad just time consuming. The front struts get replaced completely and it is much easier doing the front shocks than it is doing the rear. Good luck
Old 01-20-2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by D-sta
The rear strut is the only part that get a cartridge because the strut itself at the bottom is a big support to many things like the sway bar, radius rod, brake shield, brake rotor, brake caliper, etc. As you can see this is a very important piece that holds many things in place. The only place they sell these things new would be at a dealer. It's a pain in the a** to change the rear but with time and the correct tools, it's not that bad just time consuming. The front struts get replaced completely and it is much easier doing the front shocks than it is doing the rear. Good luck
Thanks again for the info. It make better sense to me now why Pepboys wants $200 to work on the rear. So you guys recommend the KYBs. How are the Tokico brand that cost more and I see advertised alot. Since I'll be doing all four struts it would be a good time to change springs. Any recommendations as to brand or model that doesn't cost alot and doesn't require that I have to ad shimes or make modifications. I live in NYC, there are plenty potholes, I'll need something that can handle them.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks again for the info. It make better sense to me now why Pepboys wants $200 to work on the rear. So you guys recommend the KYBs. How are the Tokico brand that cost more and I see advertised alot. Since I'll be doing all four struts it would be a good time to change springs. Any recommendations as to brand or model that doesn't cost alot and doesn't require that I have to ad shimes or make modifications. I live in NYC, there are plenty potholes, I'll need something that can handle them.
From what I understand, the Tokiko's are a bit unreliable, and stiff to boot, so they might not be the best choice for NYC driving. KYB's are pretty high quality and have a great warranty. Koni's are really high quality, and adjustable (but not easily, and you pay big$$ relaitve to the KYB's). Just my $.02
Old 01-20-2003, 02:13 PM

I live in Queens NY and never drive into the city and when driving I avoid every possible bump. I've had EIbach springs and tokico shocks for a good 9-10 months and never had a problem. Most people say that using KYB's will last longer in NYC than Tokico's will. I suggest to get Eibach springs and KYB's due to the price and if you can afford it, get KONI's but those bad boys go for like $500.00 I think.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:06 PM

I am going to be picking up a set of Tokicos, and most likely using them with my stock springs. I live in MA, so the roads are better, but still bad in some places than NY. You think I will have good luck with the stock/tokico setup?
Old 05-10-2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE
I am going to be picking up a set of Tokicos, and most likely using them with my stock springs. I live in MA, so the roads are better, but still bad in some places than NY. You think I will have good luck with the stock/tokico setup?
Yeah I think you should be fine. I think you shouldn't have a problem because a stock spring doesn't put as much stress compared to a lowering spring. But why not get Eibach's while you're at it?
Old 05-11-2003, 12:01 AM

yeah I was thinking that too... dont want too much of a harsh ride, and trying to stay in budget. I shopping for them now...any reputable inexpensive sites for eibachs besides shox and taylorauto?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

Originally posted by 94MAXGXE
Hi All,

&lt;search,search,search&gt; sounds like KYB GR2 are the only way to go for me.

Thanks,
Take Care
Jim

Jim, that price is AWESOME... glad I waited to get mine. Now I know where to buy 'em. Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Struts, KYB-GR2, Good price?

"...Serving rice 1 honda at a time." - I like that!

Originally posted by nubiannupe

Jim, that price is AWESOME... glad I waited to get mine. Now I know where to buy 'em. Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM

I will need boot / bumper kit / front bearings,and maybe strut mounts all around, Taylor seems to have good prices on them also.
I was looking at the strut mounts....I cant tell if those are sold individually or pairs?
Old 05-11-2003, 09:47 PM
GReDdyXMaXiMa

Hey I got kyb-gr2 from taylor automotive.com and they came with a great price that you couldnt find anywhere on the internet. Yes , They do have rear shocks which it is called " strut insert" You'll have to take out the old shocks out of the assembly shocks to put new one in. I had all of em installed and went great. The ride is smooth with 18's. So , You want to be more wise with money and a good quality ride and I higly recommend you to get those kyb-gr2 struts n shocks for your car and yet , Kyb-gr2 will last longer more than you thought of. Now , The struts mount ...I called and asked the salesperson , He said It only comes in each with one price. Its pretty expensive for struts mount eh ? Well , At Least I got struts mount from junk yard for 5 dollars each.