3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 05:24 PM

Rear Speakers

My rear bose factory speakers for my 90 maxima are making a crackling noise? Now my front door speakers are NOT installed could it be bacause there not installed that there making this noise? Or are they broken? Could it also be that my atenna is broken?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Derek94SE

probably the amps, they go out more often than the speakers, even if the front ones are removed. I think it's like $75 US for the fix, or about 35 cents if you want to do it yourself, but you have to be able to solder.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:27 PM

Re: Rear Speakers

Originally posted by iixer0ii
My rear bose factory speakers for my 90 maxima are making a crackling noise? Now my front door speakers are NOT installed could it be bacause there not installed that there making this noise? Or are they broken? Could it also be that my atenna is broken?
couple of possible answers

1. Your playin it to loud(bose is good, not that good)
2. There blown
3. Your fader is set all the way to the back since u have no front speakers and u (or whoever took um out) felt there was no need to have the fader set to the front. so all the power is going to the rear wich is causing the speakers to pop.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Rear Speakers

Originally posted by ocMax

couple of possible answers

1. Your playin it to loud(bose is good, not that good)
2. There blown
3. Your fader is set all the way to the back since u have no front speakers and u (or whoever took um out) felt there was no need to have the fader set to the front. so all the power is going to the rear wich is causing the speakers to pop.
I was with you until number 3. The Bose units are powered by individual amps. There will not be any more power to the rear speakers whether the fader is in the middle (even front and rear) or all the way to the back. The fader cuts power not adds it.

It sounds like the amps are messing up. Search on the forum for instructions to repair them if you can solder...if you cant I will repair them for a small fee...cheaper than sending them off. I have repaired a few lately for myself and some friends with success.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:53 PM

or you can do a little diagnostic.. swap amps. When i had my bose system, one of my rear speakers was quieter than the other so i switched the L and R rear amps and yep i found it was the amp that was the problem
Old 01-23-2003, 10:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rear Speakers

Originally posted by awsm66

...if you cant I will repair them for a small fee...cheaper than sending them off. I have repaired a few lately for myself and some friends with success.
yo awsm66,

Hey i might be needing your help in that speaker/amp department.

I currently have busted front Bose speakers...amps as usual! i disconnected them both. I really wanna do the fix myself and have been going through the write-up of the speaker fix...(i've so far fixed one auto climate control on my GXE and a couple of dimming clocks for me friends).

How do u get the old Capacitors out?
Old 01-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Speakers

Originally posted by drstillpatient

yo awsm66,

Hey i might be needing your help in that speaker/amp department.

I currently have busted front Bose speakers...amps as usual! i disconnected them both. I really wanna do the fix myself and have been going through the write-up of the speaker fix...(i've so far fixed one auto climate control on my GXE and a couple of dimming clocks for me friends).

How do u get the old Capacitors out?

go to an electonics store and get some solder wik (copper braided wire...not expensive). That is the best stuff to get solder off so you can remove the cap.

you take the solder wik and place it on the solder you want to get off and put the iron on the wik above the solder joint...that will pull the solder up into the wik and off of the board.

once the wik has solder in it cut that part off and move on to another section of the wik to make sure you get all of the solder off.

They also make solder suckers but I dont think they are as effective as the wik.

good luck if you have any more questions you can email me and I will try to help.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Speakers

go to an electonics store and get some solder wik (copper braided wire...not expensive). That is the best stuff to get solder off so you can remove the cap.

you take the solder wik and place it on the solder you want to get off and put the iron on the wik above the solder joint...that will pull the solder up into the wik and off of the board.

once the wik has solder in it cut that part off and move on to another section of the wik to make sure you get all of the solder off.

They also make solder suckers but I dont think they are as effective as the wik.

good luck if you have any more questions you can email me and I will try to help.

yeah i was using a solder sucker uptil now...not very effective...i'll get the solder wik for this one...

Do you normally have to remove ALL of the suggested capacitors (as suggested in the write up) or just a couple major ones only usually?

Appreciate the help..thanks!!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear Speakers

yeah i was using a solder sucker uptil now...not very effective...i'll get the solder wik for this one...

Do you normally have to remove ALL of the suggested capacitors (as suggested in the write up) or just a couple major ones only usually?

Appreciate the help..thanks!!
I would replace all of the ones recomended because they are cheap and the old ones will go bad eventually so why not go ahead and do it.

no problem I help when I can and I am just an advice giving fool tonight.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:12 PM

hmmm...u didnt give away any trade secrets did ya?

lol.

once again...appreciate it much.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:18 AM

I see

Thanks for all input..I guess imma start by putting in front speakers 1st.then test out the amps...thanks again
Old 01-24-2003, 10:19 AM

WAIT A MINUTE

WHATS GOIN ON WITH ALL THE SOLDERING AND CAPACITOR REPLACEMENTS, WHY NOT JUST REWIRE THE BACK SPEAKER TO BYPASS THOSE CRAPPY BOSE AMPS. YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH THE FRONT (IF THEY ARE STILL WORKING). THIS IS ALSO INEXPENSIVE AND DOESNT REQUIRE ANY SOLDERING ABILITY. THE REWIRE IS BEST WHEN USING AN AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT. LEMME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY THAT.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:34 AM

Re: WAIT A MINUTE

Originally posted by Pearl90gxe
WHATS GOIN ON WITH ALL THE SOLDERING AND CAPACITOR REPLACEMENTS, WHY NOT JUST REWIRE THE BACK SPEAKER TO BYPASS THOSE CRAPPY BOSE AMPS. YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH THE FRONT (IF THEY ARE STILL WORKING). THIS IS ALSO INEXPENSIVE AND DOESNT REQUIRE ANY SOLDERING ABILITY. THE REWIRE IS BEST WHEN USING AN AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT. LEMME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY THAT.
yeah i'd do that...i was thinking of getting an aftermarket head unit and would have done that wire bypass...but i came across a (flawless, so far) Bose head unit from a 98 maxima, with CD and all and at a very good price...so went for it. I'd need those amps with this headunit.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: WAIT A MINUTE

a working bose system is not crap. It is a very good sounding system once rebuilt to new specs. It would take a lot of money for quality speakers, amp and head unit to duplicate the quality of a good rebuilt working Bose system.

Granted I am not talking about the Bose system for those that like to play their music real loud but for normal to simi loud it is great...great sound and quality.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:05 PM

hey awsm66...

just took out and opened my front left Bose speaker...

man its a mess in there...one of the transistors appears to have exploded in the amp...

go here to see
http://www14.brinkster.com/shamveelahmed/bose.htm

have u seen anything like this?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hey awsm66...

man its a mess in there...one of the transistors appears to have exploded in the amp...

go here to see

none of the ones I have messed with had that happen. I think I have a set of front amps out (dont want to sell them) and I will check to get you the part number since you cant read it...probably tomorrow. The only problem is if it was caused by another component failure it will happen again so check all of the stuff you can. If it was just because of heat or something it will be ok to replace it.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:24 PM

bose in car audio =

bose in home audio =

ive heard the bose system in the new max's and the highs and lows sound like crap compared to my custom setup
Old 01-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Maximan190
bose in car audio =

bose in home audio =

ive heard the bose system in the new max's and the highs and lows sound like crap compared to my custom setup
Yes I know that and if you have the money its best to go with a high dollar set up. but you can not match the working bose system with cheap speakers in the front and back...hence its better and cheaper to repair the amps if you can do it yourself.

I have Quarts and a nice amp in my 93 because I want the best possible sound.

I have Bose in my 92 because for its purpose (wifes car) it is great. I mean it is 10 times better than the set up that was in my 90...a kenwood cd, Pioneer 6x9s and Pioneer 4x6s. Those werent even that cheap of speakers and they dont sound near as good as the bose and my wife would complain constantly about the 90 and was so suprised at how good the 92 sounds.

Do you see what I am getting at. Its all in how you will be using them but to say that they suck is a wide and generalizing statement.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:24 PM

Do you see what I am getting at. Its all in how you will be using them but to say that they suck is a wide and generalizing statement.
Yeah like if you just want a decent sounding system to casually listen to then bose is alright, but im heavily into clarity in my music, i want a more optimum sounding system.

Part of the reason i went with a custom setup is all the problems i was having from my bose system; this amp went, that amp went, driver door speaker doesnt work with the tape deck, distortion at high volumes etc.. so i just ripped it all out

now if i can only find my deck's remote...again
Old 01-27-2003, 02:07 AM

hey awsm66...

go here to see

My friend let me borrow one of his amps to test and i connected it correctly... and it just started smoking... I opened it up and it seemed the the transistor exploded.

Is it possible to replace the transistor(asuming you know the correct one to replace it with)??

-Robert
Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 AM

: Re: WAIT A MINUTE

a working bose system is not crap. It is a very good sounding system once rebuilt to new specs. It would take a lot of money for quality speakers, amp and head unit to duplicate the quality of a good rebuilt working Bose system.

Granted I am not talking about the Bose system for those that like to play their music real loud but for normal to simi loud it is great...great sound and quality.
Actually the bose system in the maxima is not particularly suited to the audio enthusisast , that one who likes quality sound not just loudness, neither high nor midrange sound is that great in the speakers with working amps, BTW I do like the WaveRadio
Old 01-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: : Re: WAIT A MINUTE

Actually the bose system in the maxima is not particularly suited to the audio enthusisast , that one who likes quality sound not just loudness, neither high nor midrange sound is that great in the speakers with working amps, BTW I do like the WaveRadio
read my post 3 messages from the top of this page for further clarification. I said basically what you just did.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by gaxima

My friend let me borrow one of his amps to test and i connected it correctly... and it just started smoking... I opened it up and it seemed the the transistor exploded.

Is it possible to replace the transistor(asuming you know the correct one to replace it with)??

-Robert
thats what i will find out in a few days...i'm waiting to hear from awsm66 about the part number...he might have the number.

IF i can find a replacement transistor and IF the circuitry around the old transistor isnt toasted for good...i might be able to fix it...other wise its off to the junk yard to find an old amp and rebuild it or find one from someone who's selling their speakers or amp.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

thats what i will find out in a few days...i'm waiting to hear from awsm66 about the part number...he might have the number.

IF i can find a replacement transistor and IF the circuitry around the old transistor isnt toasted for good...i might be able to fix it...other wise its off to the junk yard to find an old amp and rebuild it or find one from someone who's selling their speakers or amp.

Oops I forgot...sorry its been one of those days. I looked at my amp and all 4 of those are the same so if you get the number off the one beside it (123534 is what mine are) and take it to an electronics parts store they may can help you out.

I still say it may be better to go to a junk yard and get another amp but you never know. You may replace that component and have it taken care of.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:19 PM

Oops I forgot...sorry its been one of those days. I looked at my amp and all 4 of those are the same so if you get the number off the one beside it (123534 is what mine are) and take it to an electronics parts store they may can help you out.

I still say it may be better to go to a junk yard and get another amp but you never know. You may replace that component and have it taken care of.
No problem at all...since BOTH my front speakers were not working i pulled out the other one(front right) today...and got the part number from the amp on it to be sure...but thanks for the part numbers

the other one has leaked out caps for sure...three of them. i'll replace all of em anyway...but the transistors are in good shape.

I will just look for another amp for the front left one....i examined the circuitry around the blown transistor and its melted through at a couple of places.