3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo 3rd Gens

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Banned

Turbo 3rd Gens

How many turbo 3rd gens are there now?

I know of 2 completed, and 2 in progress...

Anyone else working on one?

Brian
Old 01-26-2003, 02:49 AM

maybe....
Old 01-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Banned

Your info is kind of sketchy 87...no offense, but it does lack a bit of substance.

Brian
Old 01-26-2003, 06:45 AM

i should have mine done in april..
Old 01-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Old 01-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

turbo 3rd gens?? HA!! yeah really, that'll be the day!!! whats next...flying pigs and snow ball fights in hell??
Old 01-26-2003, 09:45 AM
STFU n00b!

turbo 3rd gens? there's no turbo 3rd gens..
Old 01-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Large Member

Originally posted by 1989MaxMan
Your info is kind of sketchy 87...no offense, but it does lack a bit of substance.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but, he's been around Maximas a lot longer than you and he knows his stuff. Do some searches and you'll see what I mean. He's just playing around with you and being sarcastic.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by Matt93SE
turbo 3rd gens? there's no turbo 3rd gens..
say it aint so?

my god, who do I make the check out to?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:02 PM

Re: Turbo 3rd Gens

How many turbo 3rd gens are there now?

I know of 2 completed, and 2 in progress...

Anyone else working on one?

Brian
Whos completed?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:14 PM

What's a Maxima?
Old 01-27-2003, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
maybe....
Old 01-27-2003, 04:46 AM

turbo...whats a turbo....is that like tornado thingy i saw on the infomercial..???
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i got one!

Old 01-27-2003, 05:43 AM
Banned

You know....you guys are hilarious.

I just sucks when you are actually trying to do some honest research.

I only have 3 or 4 weeks to plan before I begin tearing out the VG30E and the RS5F50V.

Hopefully by then someone will realize that some people need wheels for purposes other than wasting gas, and are actually trying to make a decent performer as a daily driver.

Brian
Old 01-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I only have 3 or 4 weeks to plan before I begin tearing out the VG30E and the RS5F50V.

Hopefully by then someone will realize that some people need wheels for purposes other than wasting gas, and are actually trying to make a decent performer as a daily driver.

Brian
stop trying to sound smart..because you're not getting too far.
yeah you need wheels to impress the chicks too.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:00 AM

*****es.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

everybody wants to sound technical you could have just said tranny instead of RS..blah blah whatever!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:17 AM
STFU n00b!

there's a saying that's been going around for a couple thousand years or so now... Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

well guess what? I'm not just going to GIVE you a fish. turbo'ing this car is the same as turbo'ing any other NA car.
you need pipe, a turbo, a BOV, a wastegate (if it's not an integral part of the turbo), fuel enrichment of some sort (bigger fuel pump, injectors, custom ECU, FMU, etc)... an intercooler if you run lots of boost, and that's about it. the only difference between a Maxima and a Honda is what shape you bend the pipes into and what order you glue them together.

Now go out and do a little "research" as you call it and LOOK for an answer. don't just ask for it to be handed to you.

the search function works wonders around here.

Brian
Old 01-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt93SE
[B]there's a saying that's been going around for a couple thousand years or so now... Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Wow! Very philosophical. I've notice u changed. Perhaps due to married life
Old 01-27-2003, 10:29 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by phat
Wow! Very philosophical. I've notice u changed. Perhaps due to married life

No.. I'm just in a nice mood this morning. I'm still a d!ck most of the time.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Matt93SE

No.. I'm just in a nice mood this morning. I'm still a d!ck most of the time.
Yeah i guess you are... Really what I term as "researching" is asking others what their setup consisted of and seeing whether it is cost effective for me, or whether I can scale up or scale down, I dont need blue prints, just like you said in the previous post that you need "a turbo, a BOV, a wastegate (if it's not an integral part of the turbo), fuel enrichment of some sort (bigger fuel pump, injectors, custom ECU, FMU, etc)... "

Basically what my idea of asking the ones who have completed it is what has worked for you so I dont waste money blowing my engine by buying a turbo too large or by not upgrading the pistons or something of that nature.

Brian
Old 01-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

seriously use the search, out in "turbo" , "VGT" , "VG30ET" you'll find what you need to know.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Large Member

I hate to say this 1989MaxMan but, that isn't all research is. Research is also finding stuff out for yourself. Yes, a lot of the guys that have turbo'd there Max's keep quiet about what they've done but, it's understandable. If you spent lots of your time doing a turbo Maxima, and figuring everything out yourself then you would probably be hesitant to just give all the answers away to someone that hasn't "earned" it. Dude, just use the search engine. Most people may not think so but, it can actually be fun searching/researching this stuff (or maybe I'm just wierd). There is a whole lot on this board, already, in regards to Vg30et's. Also check out z31.com for more great info. I've been "researching" for the last year and I haven't even fully prepared for doing a Vg30et swap yet. It takes time.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:36 PM

to echo everyone else, i myself have just been recently pondering the swap.. did a search on here and found comprehensive threads about turbo swaps.. MAX/OD threads spells everything right out there for you...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Banned

Primary research is knowledge one gets by talking to the person who has done the job first-hand.

Secondary research is knowledge that is written about someone who has done something.

If I ask you about it, chances are I will know more technical points than if i just read about someone who has done thus and such...

That is why I chose to seek out this route first.
If you don't like my initial research methods that is fine, it is your opinion.

Usually a community of like minded people (notably 3rd gen maxima owners) helps and does not flame one another...

So...basically I will end up doing this on my own, and I'll see you all on the roads.

Brian
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Yeah i guess you are...
uhoh i don't think you're allowed to call a mod a d!ck. especially matt. i mean he's allowed to call himself whatever he wants but anyways..

fuel enrichment of some sort (bigger fuel pump, injectors, custom ECU, FMU, etc)...
i just have a question. why do you need a custom ecu? isn't that what the maf does? it'll just detect more air and send more fuel into the mixture? what does the custom ecu do? sorry if this is a 1st grade question.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by 1989MaxMan Usually a community of like minded people (notably 3rd gen maxima owners) helps and does not flame one another...
Welcome to the .Org aka Flame Central
Old 01-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Primary research is knowledge one gets by talking to the person who has done the job first-hand.

Secondary research is knowledge that is written about someone who has done something.

If I ask you about it, chances are I will know more technical points than if i just read about someone who has done thus and such...

That is why I chose to seek out this route first.
If you don't like my initial research methods that is fine, it is your opinion.

Usually a community of like minded people (notably 3rd gen maxima owners) helps and does not flame one another...

So...basically I will end up doing this on my own, and I'll see you all on the roads.

Brian
better start growing a thicker skin..but here goes...story time.

let's just say that people have been talking about a certain topic. say a group of 50 people. they are all talking about one topic and only a rare few are subject matter experts throught past experience and knowledge.
then comes along a new guy..fresh out of the shadows..talks a good game. saying that he knows all this stuff and that stuff..at the same shows no proof of his skills or talents or knowledge.
how should the other 50 people feel? keep in mind there's a new guy that comes out of the wood work every day and some of the time they claim they are subject experts but really they are not.

what's my point? if you REALLY know your stuff and REALLY did your research..then you would know that who has what and who doesn't. but you come out claiming 2 has and 2 are working on it...can you let us know who has and how are working on it?

then you come out w/ the big guns and gives us the "lingo" that you think it's technical and makes u sound like u know what you're doing....ok fine...read me your entire vin plate if u really want to.

money talks...BS walks...
if you really want to know turbo technology you don't have to narrow it down to 3rd gen VG motors..a turbo is a turbo..they all do the same thing. the other technical numbers is something YOU NEED to decide. i can build a 35PSI turbo w/ built motor...what's your budget? what do YOU want your car want to do?

i've been here for a while...about a few times a month i see some hot shot newbie claiming they have the fastest car..or their car is boosted..or they have this or that..well all i can say is SHOW US THE PICS.

if you have done your work..then GIVE US SOMETHING TO WORK WITH. you know what family size turbo u want to run? do u know what A/R means? features of turbo, wastegates, manifold designs, fuel enrichment methods..etc etc.. so far i've heard u tell me your engine and tranny code....that's it. if you REALLY want help then show us that you have done SOME work.

primary/secondary...seriously...you can research all your want and be a bench racer. pick up a wrench and get to work. "i'm going to tear my drivetrain out"..wooooooo... that tells me NOTHING...show me something more.

respect is earned..not given.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by CanadianMaxima

uhoh i don't think you're allowed to call a mod a d!ck. especially matt. i mean he's allowed to call himself whatever he wants but anyways..

i just have a question. why do you need a custom ecu? isn't that what the maf does? it'll just detect more air and send more fuel into the mixture? what does the custom ecu do? sorry if this is a 1st grade question.
One of the primary purposes of a reprogrammed ECU is to account for the larger injectors that are necessary for any appreciable gains in turbocharging an NA engine. If you don't change injectors size and stay with low boost levels, the stock injectors can be used, and therfore a reprogrammmed ECU is not necessary. But NA injectors on a VG30 are small, so they max out quickly. From what I understand about 6 psi is the limit for the NA injectors.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by male

From what I understand about 6 psi is the limit for the NA injectors.
but if the VG30ET and VG30E use the same "flow" injectors (I think!?) and the Z31s are good up to 12psi on the stock fuel system than the N/A VG should be the same as far as fuel supply goes...I'm only speculating
Old 01-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In fact there is a current vg30et project that was just completed in the 1st and 2nd gen. forum although you have the updated version of my vg30e its the same process. Use the search function with as many posts on this subject and how tos, you cant go wrong. Everything you asked for for cost effectiveness and if everything will be worth your while is all answered. So Search, thats how you research.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:44 PM

WHOA

HOW COME NOBODY WANTS TO TELL ANYBODY ANYTHING? SEEMS ODD.. I'M NEW MAYBE I DONT KNOW THE ROPES BUT UMM IF I HAD SOME INFO TO SHARE I THINK I WOULD WITHOUT HESITATING .
Old 01-28-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: WHOA

Easy on the caps tonto.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=183629

Originally posted by Pearl90gxe
HOW COME NOBODY WANTS TO TELL ANYBODY ANYTHING? SEEMS ODD.. I'M NEW MAYBE I DONT KNOW THE ROPES BUT UMM IF I HAD SOME INFO TO SHARE I THINK I WOULD WITHOUT HESITATING .
Old 01-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

why repat the info that is already in the archives and can easily be found with the search???
Old 01-28-2003, 04:35 PM

you know what buddy? Do something original to your car, and then see how you deal with it when you get 10 emails a week asking you the same questions over and over again.. it actually gets pretty irritating...

it pretty annoying when you take the time and innovation to create something yourself and people just want to know how to do it or copy it to sell with out taking the time to discover how to do it themselves..
Old 01-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You know... I've never really seen a straight answer to this, and if I have, I might've forgotten. Happens sometimes. So here goes. Everybody that I've read up on turbocharging their car has gone with a VG30ET engine from the Z31. Now my question is, why not a VG30DETT from a Z32??? I can't remember who did it but someone did a general writeup on turboing a 3rd gen and something was said about using the VG30ET and not the VG30DETT but there was never a clear answer as to why. Anyone care to clarify???

Old 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

The VG30DETT is too wide to mount horizontally.

For those of you who are still speculating, I'll let you in on what I have put together so far.

Starting with the base 300zx VG30ET, I am putting in the crank, rods and pistons from the VG30DETT, the crank lobes are a little big, radiuswise i hear, but we'll machine them to the right radius. I'm keeping the 300zx heads, using 420 cc/min fuel injectors, supplied by a 255lph Walbro fuel pump. I am going to be making my own air tubing and an intercooler. An Unorthodox underdrive pulley, a BOV and two wastegates on dual T3 garret turbos, still have to calculate the right A/R (which is calculated by dividing the area by the radius) an electronic boost controller, probably HKS or Greddy, and an Air fuel controller, the auto to 5-speed swap, and i need a new drivers side front CV-joint. So im loking at about $3-4000.

Brian
Old 01-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

For those of you who are still speculating, I'll let you in on what I have put together so far.

Starting with the base 300zx VG30ET, I am putting in the crank, rods and pistons from the VG30DETT, the crank lobes are a little big, radiuswise i hear, but we'll machine them to the right radius. I'm keeping the 300zx heads, using 420 cc/min fuel injectors, supplied by a 255lph Walbro fuel pump. I am going to be making my own air tubing and an intercooler. An Unorthodox underdrive pulley, a BOV and two wastegates on dual T3 garret turbos, still have to calculate the right A/R (which is calculated by dividing the area by the radius) an electronic boost controller, probably HKS or Greddy, and an Air fuel controller, the auto to 5-speed swap, and i need a new drivers side front CV-joint. So im loking at about $3-4000.

Brian
twin turbos enh?
you talk a good game...time to get to work.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it's the same block, what's making it too wide??? And what's the A/R (excuse the ignorance)???

Quick Reply: Turbo 3rd Gens