3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo 3rd Gens

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
If it's the same block, what's making it too wide???
have you seen the size of that motor??
Old 01-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by DanNY

twin turbos enh?
this will be twin turbo Maxima claim #15,000...
Old 01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Banned

It is possible since i am fabricating custom shorty headers with the T3 turbo flanges direct bolt on, then ill have to moify the exhaust y-pipe to bolt up, but nothing too challenging...

Brian
Old 01-28-2003, 07:34 PM

just show the pics when you finish it....
Old 01-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Banned

will do!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DA-MAX
have you seen the size of that motor??
Yes I have seen the motor, but haven't had the opportunity to put them next to each other and compare. It is quite hefty granted, but has anyone actually taken measurements?? Or is this an eyeball estimation??? And again... what parts are making it too wide???

Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 PM
STFU n00b!

think about the engine codes for a second...

VG30E... SOHC engine.. 2 cams, one on each side of the engine, directly over the pistons..

VG30DE. DOHC engine. 4 cams. two on each bank of cylinders, each above and to the side of the pistons.

the VG30DE is only about 1/2" narrower than our entire engine bay from radiator to firewall. it's POSSIBLE to cram one in there, but I doubt if you can hook up the tranny, exhaust manifolds, vacuum lines, heater hoses, intake piping, turbos, etc etc etc in order to make the thing actually run.

now if you lengthened the frame of the car a few inches..................
Old 01-28-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
think about the engine codes for a second...

VG30E... SOHC engine.. 2 cams, one on each side of the engine, directly over the pistons..

VG30DE. DOHC engine. 4 cams. two on each bank of cylinders, each above and to the side of the pistons.

the VG30DE is only about 1/2" narrower than our entire engine bay from radiator to firewall. it's POSSIBLE to cram one in there, but I doubt if you can hook up the tranny, exhaust manifolds, vacuum lines, heater hoses, intake piping, turbos, etc etc etc in order to make the thing actually run.

now if you lengthened the frame of the car a few inches..................
I see...

Wait a tick...

I was at the scrap yard a few days ago. And the Z31s have a relatively small radiator. If one took out the radiator we have, mounted the Z31 radiator closer to the front, it seems youd still have room for an ample sized IC at the bottom of the bumper. Wouldn't this make a bit of room???

Just a thought...
Old 01-28-2003, 10:38 PM

I see...

Wait a tick...

I was at the scrap yard a few days ago. And the Z31s have a relatively small radiator. If one took out the radiator we have, mounted the Z31 radiator closer to the front, it seems youd still have room for an ample sized IC at the bottom of the bumper. Wouldn't this make a bit of room???

Just a thought...
you should try it
Old 01-28-2003, 10:45 PM

HAH!!!

I would, except turbo is not my main priority right now. Otherwise I would. Now if anyone is willing to donate a Z32 engine for me to try this out with...

Old 01-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Banned

Just run the majority of the turbo piping inside the fender walls then you can free up some room, and only the trained eye will be able to spot the turbos. lol muhahaha

Brian
Old 01-29-2003, 05:08 AM

this has been a very interesting thread to read through... the one thing that i have noticed in this thread was that ...no one other than myself.. are planning to keep the original maxima engine.. i have read about the other that use the 300z engine(z31). but not many use the maxima engine itself? why is that ? is it becuase no one thinks it will work with the maxima engine VG30? (you can make anything work) or it cant hold the boost? becuase that isnt true.. i am using my original engine and heads.. well.. they are going to totally redone but they are going to be the original block and heads. but whatever.. just wondering why no one ever tries the maxima VG30 engine.. other than myself.
dave

p.s engine is coming out saturday... i will post pictures.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:23 AM

Yes I have seen the motor, but haven't had the opportunity to put them next to each other and compare. It is quite hefty granted, but has anyone actually taken measurements?? Or is this an eyeball estimation??? And again... what parts are making it too wide???

Intake runners.

Do a SEARCH on www.nissanx.com and you should find a pic that Mark Cookson posted of the two engines sitting side-by-side. I think he posted a pic of it...

BTW don't be too quick to flame this guy (1989MaxMan), he knows more than you would expect and has already designed his own custom intercooler.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Banned

The reason I am not using my original maxima engine is because it overheated this summer when the water pump went while I was driving on the highway. So the heads are warped and the rest of the engine has over 130,000miles on it, so i found a Z31 with 93k with one stock T3 turbo, so i just need to buy one more, along with all of the other goodies I have mentioned.

If you did like suggested with the z32 engine and either extended the frame or figured out another way of cooling the engine, you could use the N/A VG30DE intake and do a custom y-split intake pipe from the dual turbos.

Brian
Old 01-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Large Member

Originally posted by Turbo91max
this has been a very interesting thread to read through... the one thing that i have noticed in this thread was that ...no one other than myself.. are planning to keep the original maxima engine.. i have read about the other that use the 300z engine(z31). but not many use the maxima engine itself? why is that ?

You definitely can convert the Maxima VG to turbo. I don't remember but, I thought someone on here went that route before. It's just a little easier to go with a z31 vg since it is already setup for the turbo.

Damn Nissan. They made the Vg33e and Vg30det. Why couldn't they make a Vg33det?! That would have been quite nice seeing how the Det has 255hp 255torque and is .3l smaller. If anyone had the b*lls to try it, the Vg30det would be the best bang for buck engine swap you could do short of a SBC. Besides, the heads flow better than the Dett and they come stock with 550cc injectors!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Shadow1198

You definitely can convert the Maxima VG to turbo. I don't remember but, I thought someone on here went that route before. It's just a little easier to go with a z31 vg since it is already setup for the turbo.

Damn Nissan. They made the Vg33e and Vg30det. Why couldn't they make a Vg33det?! That would have been quite nice seeing how the Det has 255hp 255torque and is .3l smaller. If anyone had the b*lls to try it, the Vg30det would be the best bang for buck engine swap you could do short of a SBC. Besides, the heads flow better than the Dett and they come stock with 550cc injectors!
I think the VG30E is even bigger than the VG30DET, isn't it?

I know the VG33E block has more material, probably better for a bore...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Turbo91max
this has been a very interesting thread to read through... the one thing that i have noticed in this thread was that ...no one other than myself.. are planning to keep the original maxima engine.. i have read about the other that use the 300z engine(z31). but not many use the maxima engine itself? why is that ? is it becuase no one thinks it will work with the maxima engine VG30? (you can make anything work) or it cant hold the boost? becuase that isnt true.. i am using my original engine and heads.. well.. they are going to totally redone but they are going to be the original block and heads. but whatever.. just wondering why no one ever tries the maxima VG30 engine.. other than myself.
Part of it is high mileage and part of it is convenience. One of the possible underlying reasons could also be that the Z31 engine is already built for boost. Just an issue of how strong the block is. I can't quite remember where but I read that turbo blocks come fortified from factory to withstand the pressure. And with the average mileage of 150k+ miles on our blocks, I dunno... just seems like a good idea to stick with the Z31...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: WHOA

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe

you know what buddy? Do something original to your car, and then see how you deal with it when you get 10 emails a week asking you the same questions over and over again.. it actually gets pretty irritating...

it pretty annoying when you take the time and innovation to create something yourself and people just want to know how to do it or copy it to sell with out taking the time to discover how to do it themselves..

1. I'M NOT YOUR BUDDY
2. DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR "INNOVATIONS"
3. SELL YOUR STORY TO READERS DIGEST
Old 01-29-2003, 07:40 AM

*looks at post above him*

Oh geeze... here we go...

*ducks for cover from inevitable flames*
Old 01-29-2003, 07:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by nismo1989

BTW don't be too quick to flame this guy (1989MaxMan), he knows more than you would expect and has already designed his own custom intercooler.
seriously...i'm not flaming..but making open claims (like the ones i see everyday on here) means nothing to the community.

i can claim that i'm putting a flat 6 engine from a WRX in my maxima and going TT on it and running AWD. do you believe me? or maybe a V10 viper motor in it w/ side draft exhaust? it's WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

how hard is it to design a IC? c'mon! the hard part is tig welding the end tanks on a efficient IC w/o having any leaks.

...many have the vision
only few succedded.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: WHOA

Originally posted by Pearl90gxe

1. I'M NOT YOUR BUDDY
2. DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR "INNOVATIONS"
3. SELL YOUR STORY TO READERS DIGEST
woah..take it ez there. stop being so defensive.
you're about 19 posts deep and you're already starting things up.

some like to share..some prefer not to...that's all. what you want to do is up to u.

might want to fix your caps lock problem over there...
posting in ALL CAPS = yelling

thanks,
Dan
Old 01-29-2003, 08:05 AM

CAPS

Sorry about the caps .. bad habit
Old 01-29-2003, 08:22 AM

Much ado about turbos..

I understand some people don't want to share, I was just saying I share when I can. I didn't really need to hear about the woes of an ace max mechanic. Its not that deep.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned

how hard is it to design a IC? c'mon! the hard part is tig welding the end tanks on a efficient IC w/o having any leaks.

...many have the vision
only few succedded.
What has a higher heat capacity, 50/50 ethylene glycol? Or 113 Freon?

Why do you need a radiator type IC?

Who needs air when you have extra torque and horsepower to use?

Just some ideas to get you thinking...

Brian
Old 01-29-2003, 09:16 AM

seriously...i'm not flaming..but making open claims (like the ones i see everyday on here) means nothing to the community.

i can claim that i'm putting a flat 6 engine from a WRX in my maxima and going TT on it and running AWD. do you believe me? or maybe a V10 viper motor in it w/ side draft exhaust? it's WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

...many have the vision
only few succedded.
Hey, you don't have to tell me. I totally understand. I've been on this board for almost 3 years.

I'm just saying that this guy Brian is more than just a bunch of newbie talk like so many others... he has a pretty efficient IC, too.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:48 AM
STFU n00b!

if you guys know everything that you say you know, how come there's not all these 600hp cars running around? If you SAY it can be done but don't have the *****, money, time, whatever to do it, then it can't be done by YOU.

until you have something to show for all your comments, shut the hell up!