3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Trans... questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 05:02 AM

Trans... questions....

would a tranny from a 92-94 5spd fit on the SOHC engine? i know they are better trans. and i can find the DOHC trans. and i cant find the SOHC trans. so i was wondering if anyone knows if the trans. would fit and work on the SOHC engine?? thanks
Old 01-28-2003, 05:41 AM

Re: Trans... questions....

Originally posted by Turbo91max
would a tranny from a 92-94 5spd fit on the SOHC engine? i know they are better trans. and i can find the DOHC trans. and i cant find the SOHC trans. so i was wondering if anyone knows if the trans. would fit and work on the SOHC engine?? thanks
I believe so. You should get the LSD. It will have a V in the code. You'll need the half shafts, too, but it would be a definite upgrade. How much are you paying??
Old 01-28-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: Re: Trans... questions....

i know its the LSD trany... its the trany in the DOHC version, and i have found 3 of them.. 5spds in the junk yard ... the one i am probably going to get has 90k on it and is $550. the others have alittle over 100k and one is like $850 from a different junkyard. but i interested in find out if it fits ...becuase its a better trany and it has a LSD. definatly better... so if anyone knows any more let me know....
Old 01-28-2003, 06:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Trans... questions....

i know its the LSD trany... its the trany in the DOHC version, and i have found 3 of them.. 5spds in the junk yard ... the one i am probably going to get has 90k on it and is $550. the others have alittle over 100k and one is like $850 from a different junkyard. but i interested in find out if it fits ...becuase its a better trany and it has a LSD. definatly better... so if anyone knows any more let me know....
Well, not all of the 92-94s have the LSD. You have to check for that. If it does, you'll need the halfshafts too. If it doesn't, you shouldn't need anything. I wouldn't buy a tranny with 90 or 100K on it, though, unless it was for like 50 bucks. You're going to have to rebuild it before you put it in with that kind of mileage. I can get one for under $7 with half that mileage...

Keep shopping, good luck.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:26 AM

well.. i wasnt going just put it on... i was goign to rebuild it but the 92-94 tranny's are better than the one i have. i was jut wondering if it would work... those prices arent that bad. a 93 trany 5sprd with 90k on it for $550 and all i need to do it to rebuild it. anyway thanks
dave
Old 01-29-2003, 06:28 AM

well.. i wasnt going just put it on... i was goign to rebuild it but the 92-94 tranny's are better than the one i have. i was jut wondering if it would work... those prices arent that bad. a 93 trany 5sprd with 90k on it for $550 and all i need to do it to rebuild it. anyway thanks
dave
Oh, I was talking about the one for $850 which is kind of rediculous

If you want the LSD, you'll need the half shafts, though. Good luck on the rebuild! ...DIY?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:34 AM

I am also in search for a tranny
Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE
I am also in search for a tranny
join the club...
Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 AM

dave
Old 01-29-2003, 08:14 AM

Im still trying to decide if its better to replace or rebuild?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:24 AM

Im still trying to decide if its better to replace or rebuild?
What exactly is damaged?? That would be the deciding factor. If you know what's damaged, post it up here and I'll help you decide what's going to be more cost-effective. Gawd knows I've replaced enough...

My last one, for example, was total trash. Everything was destroyed except for the rear half of the case. All internals and bell housing useless. That is a very extreme case, though...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:40 AM

Wow! What could have caused such a complete destruction? Not from just normal driving, I would think? These gears aren't exactly soft and crumbly...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Agamemnon
Wow! What could have caused such a complete destruction? Not from just normal driving, I would think? These gears aren't exactly soft and crumbly...
I had all of the internals cryo-treated a year ago. There was a bearing on my input shaft that wasn't shimmed properly, and the gears appear to not have been brought back up to temperature properly either. I couldn't hear the bearing going out because of the flywheel noise (lightened flywheel) and a tech told me it's harder to know when something like that is going out anyway when you've done something like cryo-treatment. He said I shouldn't have gotten all of it done, but that's his opinion and I've heard several. Anyway, I was at the Import and Truck Bash in Indianapolis, going through the judging line, when it started grabbing real funny in first gear. I tried to get home, and didn't make it far from the raceway when it started making the most horrible noises you could possible imagine. I took it out of gear, and it wouldn't go back in gear. Couldn't even move the shifter. It was like it was in two gears at one time. Anyway, I towed it home, broke it open, and found that the main shaft had split the seal and fallen through the tranny, taking out all my gears including overdrive AND reverse . Long story short: total destruction!!!!! Oh well, it's been grounded since August 17th last summer but it will be back on the road shortly as soon as I finish the rebuild!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much was it to cryo treat it. i just put my trany back in yesterday after being out for 2 months because it got stuck in 2nd gear and everythings great now but im going to be buying a spair trany , rebiulding it and then cryo treat it because when i took mine apart i found i needed to replace 1st and 2nd gear because of bad wear and i think cryoing it will put some piece of mind in because i dont want to have to fix my trany every 6 months
Old 01-30-2003, 05:12 AM

well... i havent gotten to look at the tranny itself. i just talked to the junk yard guy. no real details. but i am thinking its not that bad. either way, i am going to get the LSD tranny becuase ...overall its a better tranny. i am going to rebuild it and then cryo it. i might even change some of the gear ratios too. but that depends on whats up with it. i know it costs alot but if i am going to do the tranny why not just make it a really nasty tranny?? right ? but it all depends on how much i have to spend on the tranny itself. but the one i am looking at right now is 92-94 5spd tranny with 90k on it for $550. either way that isnt that bad. the interials shouldnt be that bad considering that before most of us had our maximas it was mainly a family car. not saying that no one kicked the crap out of the trannies but im not worried about finding what you had happen to your tranny. but i will let you know when i find out more. and i think i can find more trannied if you are looking for one. just me know. i have found a few good maximas at the junk yard and if you are looking for parts let me know and i will find out how much the parts are and i might be able to hook you up...yo..sorry dont usually say that.. so let me know.. thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989

What exactly is damaged?? That would be the deciding factor. If you know what's damaged, post it up here and I'll help you decide what's going to be more cost-effective. Gawd knows I've replaced enough...

My last one, for example, was total trash. Everything was destroyed except for the rear half of the case. All internals and bell housing useless. That is a very extreme case, though...
Here's was I posted a few weeks ago.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=tranny

I just got a quote from my mechanic yesterday that a rebuild would be $1400 - $1800 for my car. Right not it sounds like bad bearings, but who knows what else is going on in there? I'm just afraid of it failing again.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by subs1000w
how much was it to cryo treat it. i just put my trany back in yesterday after being out for 2 months because it got stuck in 2nd gear and everythings great now but im going to be buying a spair trany , rebiulding it and then cryo treat it because when i took mine apart i found i needed to replace 1st and 2nd gear because of bad wear and i think cryoing it will put some piece of mind in because i dont want to have to fix my trany every 6 months
I got it done with the last rebuild. It was $2200 total . All for nothing, now, because a little over a year later it was destroyed! So much for that...
Old 01-30-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989

Oh well, it's been grounded since August 17th last summer but it will be back on the road shortly as soon as I finish the rebuild!
My Birthday
Old 01-30-2003, 05:32 AM

Here's was I posted a few weeks ago.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=tranny

I just got a quote from my mechanic yesterday that a rebuild would be $1400 - $1800 for my car. Right not it sounds like bad bearings, but who knows what else is going on in there? I'm just afraid of it failing again.
Here's the lowdown, for ANYONE doing a SEARCH in the future:

If a transmission tech gives you a quote without taking the transmission out of the car and taking it apart to examine the internals, YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF! The exceptions would be if your transmission was fine, and it just needed a flush, or if the whole thing was just totally fried like mine that they knew ahead of time that there was no hope for a rebuild.

DaBoxSE: You can get a new remanufactured tranny with a comparible if not better warranty for less. You spend $1200, get a tranny from PheonixHardParts, send in your old tranny, and get something like a $450 core return. You end up getting a tranny for less than $1K. You could put it in yourself, or charge a shop to do it. I suggest trying it yourself, putting it in is the easy part. Good luck, though. Let me know if you need some contact info from Pheonix, I can give you an e-mail and contact name. You could also check out their site...
Old 01-30-2003, 05:34 AM

My Birthday
My buddy Jared's (MaximaBalla) birthday too! lol

Mine is on the 2nd. Not exactly the ideal birthday gift, was it?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:26 PM

has anyone actually attempted this? i know the bolt pattern is the same, but i checked out the auto trannies, and they are complete different... fluid reservoir is on top on the vg tranny, and on botton on the ve tranny, shift linkage on opposite sides, and different mounts... just fyi...
Old 01-31-2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Dummy
has anyone actually attempted this? i know the bolt pattern is the same, but i checked out the auto trannies, and they are complete different... fluid reservoir is on top on the vg tranny, and on botton on the ve tranny, shift linkage on opposite sides, and different mounts... just fyi...
Yeah. You can swap the manual trannys but I have no idea about the autos, I haven't even compared the two...