3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003 | 08:34 PM

manifold

Has anyone ever replaced the rear studs with out pulling the head?
I have searched and found only one person that said you do not need to pull the head but he did not say if he had done it him self. My manifold is now making a wonderful whining sound and needs help bad. I have seen post about the front studs but not the back any info would be great.
Old 02-10-2003 | 05:13 AM

Re: manifold

Originally posted by jonnymax3
I have searched and found only one person that said you do not need to pull the head but he did not say if he had done it him self. My manifold is now making a wonderful whining sound and needs help bad. I have seen post about the front studs but not the back any info would be great.
Ditto! I have what I believe is an exhaust leek from the back side, mine mostly goes away when the car is warmed up though. I dont want to have to pay like $700 or whatever it is to get it fixed!
Old 02-13-2003 | 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I peformed this not so long ago, but it is not for the faint of heart. Luckily for me the ones that snapped were the upper and lower nearest the oil filter. You are going to have to lay across the engine.
Tools that I used were:

Milwaukee close quarter drill
Inspection mirror
Drill-Out power extracters (purchased at Sears)
PB Blaster
small worklight
A little luck

Remember you do this at your own risk.

Other than the tools and tight work area the concept is the same as the front studs.
Old 02-14-2003 | 05:52 AM

I recently replaced the timing belt on my car, and the exhaust studs were broken so I thought that since a portion of the motor was apart anyway, I pulled the head to do the studs. It's a bit of work, but well worth it. It's so easy to do the studs once the head is on a workbench. If you don't have to do the belt, you should try to leave the head in place, though.
Good luck.