3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cruise control cancel switch (break pedal mounted)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003 | 12:04 AM

Cruise control cancel switch (break pedal mounted)

Since my cruise control wasnt working, i bypassed the cruise control cancel switch thats on the break pedal...and now the cruise control is working...but my question is shouldnt the cruise control stay engaged now when i press the brake? cuz the switch on the pedal is not functioning...

Even with the bypassed switch harness, the cruise control disengages (just like its supposed to WITH the switch operational) when i press the brake...

Craig? if i recall correctly, u mentioned something about how u fixed the your similar problem sometime back....any ideas how its still working?

I already cheked i bypassed the correct switch and not the rear brake light switch...
Old 02-14-2003 | 02:30 AM

Re: Cruise control cancel switch (break pedal mounted)

oops...i meant BRAKE, not break...
Old 02-14-2003 | 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a problem with my clutch pedal switch (on 5spds, it does the same thing as the brake - it cancels cruise if you press it)

the switch just needed to be adjusted because it always thought the clutch pedal was pushed in so I could never engage cruise control. There is an adjusting nut at the base of the switch

I'm not really sure how the brake pedal would still deactivate cruise if you bypassed the switch. There are 2 harnesses at the brake pedal. One has a red/yellow and red/white wire which is for the brake lights, the other is the cruise.
Old 02-14-2003 | 08:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Cruise control cancel switch (break pedal mounted)

Originally posted by drstillpatient
Since my cruise control wasnt working, i bypassed the cruise control cancel switch thats on the break pedal...and now the cruise control is working...but my question is shouldnt the cruise control stay engaged now when i press the brake? cuz the switch on the pedal is not functioning...

Even with the bypassed switch harness, the cruise control disengages (just like its supposed to WITH the switch operational) when i press the brake...

Craig? if i recall correctly, u mentioned something about how u fixed the your similar problem sometime back....any ideas how its still working?

I already cheked i bypassed the correct switch and not the rear brake light switch...
So, when your cruise control wasn't working, what symptoms led you to where you're at now? I'm asking to get an idea of how to approach MY cruise control problem. I press the dash-mounted switch and the green "cruise" light in the dash flashes. But when I try to engage it via the switch on the steering column, the light continues to flash, and it doesn't engage.
Old 02-14-2003 | 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Cruise control cancel switch (break pedal mounted)

Originally posted by nubiannupe

So, when your cruise control wasn't working, what symptoms led you to where you're at now? I'm asking to get an idea of how to approach MY cruise control problem. I press the dash-mounted switch and the green "cruise" light in the dash flashes. But when I try to engage it via the switch on the steering column, the light continues to flash, and it doesn't engage.
nubiannupe....

Since my cruise never worked since i bought the car...i had been searching here on the org and found MOST people had bad brake pedal switches, so thats where i started to look for the problem...some people have the problem that the cruise light in the dash lights up but cruise control doesnt engage...two possible causes were either the cruise switch on the steering had bad/loose wires...or the brake switch was acting up....or even worse..the ASCD was busted.

the other lot had the "flashing" cruise control light (the light shoud not flash but stay on constantly)...these had bad cruise control actuators...so i would guess that might be your case...but cant say for sure. i hope that helps... good luck with the fix!
Old 02-14-2003 | 01:59 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I had a problem with my clutch pedal switch (on 5spds, it does the same thing as the brake - it cancels cruise if you press it)

the switch just needed to be adjusted because it always thought the clutch pedal was pushed in so I could never engage cruise control. There is an adjusting nut at the base of the switch

I'm not really sure how the brake pedal would still deactivate cruise if you bypassed the switch. There are 2 harnesses at the brake pedal. One has a red/yellow and red/white wire which is for the brake lights, the other is the cruise.
Yeah Craig....mine's a 5 speed as well....i checked the switch on the clutch pedal and it has a definite "click" to it when pressed...the one on the brake does not "click" and feels very soft as compared to the clutch switch...

when u say you adjusted yours...do u mean u turned it around a few times?...like adjusted it towards the pedal or away from it...

and the other question remains..HOW does the cruise control disengage when i press the brake....

any ideas?