3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Today i got my heating back !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:57 AM

Today i got my heating back !!!

After suffering through this winter with low to non-existant heating...i finally fixed it two days. MY mechanic had bled my cooling system a few times but he also gave up and said i needed a new heater core. i had reverse flushed the heater core and what not and with no luck

Anyhow...armed with two gallons of antifreeze, a bucket of water, and my chilton's manual...i flushed the old coolant out (there was only 2-3 quarts that came out of the radiator)...i measured the new mixture to 60% antifreeze and 40% water.

Instead of just opening the bleeder screw on top of the engine...i took the thing off entirely...after filling up on coolant...i started the car up and ran the engine at 2000rpms as suggested in the chiltons manual for like 5 minutes...after the first few bubbles came out i let the engine idle on its own...bubbles kept coming up at the radiator and also the bleeder screw...

THe fun started like after 10 minutes when the thermostat opened and i had little volcanic erruptions going at both the radiator mouth and the bleeder screw. I reved the engine at 2000 rpms for like 3 minute intervals and the let it idle again...after fifteen minutes there was the big eruption as a huge bubble came out(drops of coolant went like a foot high) and then the level of the coolant in the radiator went waaay low...i poured in more coolant again until the level came up again. it took in about 2 and a half gallons of coolant mixture easy. After about 40 minutes of this reving and idling and pouring in coolant as needed...the bubbles stopped coming from both the bleeder screw and the radiator mouth. i put the cap back on the radiator and put the bleeder screw back in half way only...drove the car around the block for 10 minutes for extra bleeding measures and then finally tightened the screw back...

needless to say...heating is PERFECT so far!!...i am waiting for one of those 0 degree days now to see how it is effected...so far its been in the high 20s here and the heating is so good that after 15-20 minutes of driving i have to move the heating level lever back to the middle.

I hope this helps you guys with the heating issues in some way
Old 02-20-2003, 02:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Today i got my heating back !!!

I hope this helps you guys with the heating issues in some way [/B][/QUOTE]

Your post should help a whole lot of members who are driving around w/o heat. Nice job!
Old 02-20-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by drstillpatient
i am waiting for one of those 0 degree days now to see how it is effected...so far its been in the high 20s here and the heating is so good that after 15-20 minutes of driving i have to move the heating level lever back to the middle.

I hope this helps you guys with the heating issues in some way
i'm waiting for one of those 0degree days too!!! I got my thermostat changed and my heat works like a mfo now! And thats when the weather decides to get warm
Old 02-20-2003, 04:21 PM

I hope this helps you guys with the heating issues in some way [/B][/QUOTE]

One more thing... the Nissan service tech at my dealer also suggested raising the front of the car to help with bleeding. I would guess the higher the better.

Martin 90SE 5sp