3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

centerforce clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 06:11 AM

dual friction is definatly the ****. love it, no chattering, solid,smooth engagement and its driveable in the snow.

obvioulsly i am happy with the product, just thought i would share, for those of you who maybe considering this upgrade.

Acceleration Plus in Weathersfield CT did an excellent job.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:23 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I just ordered mine from Nopi for $285.60 total with 3day delivery. I've been wanting a dual friction and will have it in on Monday. Just remember there is a 500 mile break in period! Also, I was just told by a local dealer to watch on these products, that sometimes some of these distributors are shipping clutches in these kits that are not what was ordered. Like you order a dual and get a stage 1 instead. FYI. I was going to get an alunminum flywheel, I was told by 3 of 3 poeple not to. The salesperson, a local dealer, and a tranny mechanic. All said that they tend to warp over time, not suitable for daily driving, and are prone to vibrate, and will of course will take higher rpm's to pull out due to reduced rotation force. For anyone thinking about it.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:27 PM

Hmmm....

I had been told to stay away from the centerforce clutches so i was planning to get an ACT modified street disc and Heavy duty Pressure plate clutch kit.

But now I am hearing People say good things about the Dual-Friction clutches again....AHHHH

decisions decisions.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:58 PM
OG and counting...

I never knew that CenterForce made a clutch for the Maxima. The only applications I have ever heard of CenterForces being on are Mustangs and Z28s. From a lot of the hotrodders that owned them, they say the clutch is pretty nice and gives really good hookup.

Next thing you know, I may be seeing Auburn Transaxles with 3.73 or 4.10 gearing for Maximas. Who knows what else may filter from the domestic side to the import side?
Old 01-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Just got the clutch installed yesterday (dual friction). I had the shop go ahead and put on new axles, boots, new gear oil, bleed lines, adjust peddle, routine stuff. It feels like a new car! Auto Zone gave me a full refund and I even had thier clutch for two years! The transformation is smooth and it is ALL I can do not to get on it! I'm dying for the break-in period to be over! 500 miles !!!! UURRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I want to smell rubber burn!! I suppose I'll just have to get a lighter and some rubber gloves!?
Old 01-19-2001, 04:31 AM
DavidMaxum

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
I just ordered mine from Nopi for $285.60 total with 3day delivery. I've been wanting a dual friction and will have it in on Monday. Just remember there is a 500 mile break in period! Also, I was just told by a local dealer to watch on these products, that sometimes some of these distributors are shipping clutches in these kits that are not what was ordered. Like you order a dual and get a stage 1 instead. FYI. I was going to get an alunminum flywheel, I was told by 3 of 3 poeple not to. The salesperson, a local dealer, and a tranny mechanic. All said that they tend to warp over time, not suitable for daily driving, and are prone to vibrate, and will of course will take higher rpm's to pull out due to reduced rotation force. For anyone thinking about it.
Good Price on the DF centerforce. I love mine and have had it for about 10k miles now. Engages smoothly and hooks up nicely. You can beat on these things for a long time. That Kevlar is some great stuff. I think you have been misinformed on the aluminum flywheel though. The one I have is billet aluminum and will not warp or vibrate unless you get som POS that wasn't balanced. The steel contact surface is more durable than the iron it replaces. The engines revs much faster and pulls harder at lower rpms because the engine doesn't have to overcome the extra weight and transfers that power to the wheels. Come on when was the last time you trusted a saleperson, dealer, or a tranny mechanic. If these guys ever saw a negative example they would say it ALWAYS happens. Come on get real.

Old 01-19-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
I just ordered mine from Nopi for $285.60 total with 3day delivery.
Do they include the throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool?

Either way, that's a great price.
Old 01-19-2001, 06:08 PM

centerforce break in is complete

i took my car out and did some gear crashing. this thing is awesome, it just wont quit. as for lightening the factory flywheel or buying a lightened one: it would definatly be and improvement as far allowing the engine to rev more freely. i couldnt afford it at the time, had to get a new left axle and master cylinder, so funds were short for either option. any way i will have another chance to do it cause the engine has to come out in spring.

Centerforce does not come with the throwout bearing or an alignment tool. the ACT does however. in either case you can use a factory throwout bearing and it wil be fire.
Old 01-19-2001, 07:07 PM

Re: centerforce break in is complete

Originally posted by DAREN
Centerforce does not come with the throwout bearing or an alignment tool. the ACT does however. in either case you can use a factory throwout bearing and it wil be fire.
thanks for the info on the Centerforce clutches. It helps me price my parts better . I have the ACT clutch kit (ie. heavy duty pressure plate/modified street disc) for $344, which includes the throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool ($30-35 value), so the pricing is still competitive even w/ NOPIs pricing.