3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I have a problem/question about my VE heads.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VE is a Piece of ****e

Well not really but at least I got your attention. Ok I have a problem with my heads (I think). I took my cams out and where 3 of the 4 cams sit i have holes. The holes are on the opposite side of the timing chain, so that maks them on the side of the crank position sensor. It is on both of the heads. On the head with the crank position sensor only one of the valleys that the cam rotates in has a hole it is about half a centimeter long and as thickas the recessed valley. now to be exact on where the holes are located, they are located in a valley that is inbetween the outside gasket and the first "arch valley" (the valley that has the two bolt holes in it for the arch piece that holds the cam in place) the other head had theese hols inthe same valleys, but they are different shapes and in sligtly different spots, and theese holes are jagged and look like they are not supposed to be there. the only one that has no holes is the side that the crank position sensor is on. My queation is are theese holes some kind of casting problem, or are they even a problem at all or is it a big deal and I need to replace the heads or have it filled ang machined if possibe. How could the cams have worn through the head plaese tell me the VE isn't this fragile, if so there goes my turbo dreams. if you are confused let me know i will try to get my dad's digital camera and take a picture of it, but for right now the best i can do is explain it. another question for the guys who knot the max inside and out, is where can I find a valve spring comressor that is small enough to fit around the valve springs. thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, what do you think keeps the cams from grinding themselves into oblivion?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:59 AM
STFU n00b!

a picture is worth a thousand words.......
Old 02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Don't start a thread and then PM me for the answers. I don't have any idea what you are talking about. But you do know there are holes in the cam support journals to supply the cam w/ oil right/
Old 02-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

of course but theese are jagged holes and they are big the cam oil holes ars like pin holes and are perfectly round, the holes i'm concerned about are ugly jagged and are poorly positioned. like I said I will try and get some pics of it and host them from car domain.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Looks like your oil gallies that supply the upper valvetrain are clogged up. Unless you can replace the cam towers, I would have to say your heads are junk. If they are that work, they are probably WAY out of spec clearance-wise. Sorry. Take pics and I'll take look