General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Torque converter & port and polished heads VS. 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 12:36 PM

Torque converter & port and polished heads VS. 5 speed?

I am seriously thinking about a 5 speed conversion in the next few months and if it is worth it or if getting my heads port and polished and a new torque converter is a better way to spend the $$.

I really want a 5 speed but is it worth it time wise with boost? In chatting with a few people I would like to know if I should just save for a 5 speed conversion or get a new torque converter and port and polished heads.....?

5 speed is fun and it alot better with boost also. I am confused with this one, what do you guys think?

Jay from CT
Old 10-27-2002, 01:14 PM

five speed. think about it this way...no matter what you do to your car, mod for mod, a five speed will always have a leg up on you. plus you'd be driving a five speed!
Old 10-27-2002, 01:18 PM

That's somewhat true. I believe Jime said once that as you approach the 12 second mark, the difference between 5 speed and auto becomes pretty negligable. As much of a dreamer of having a 5 speed as I am, it has a lot to do with the fact that my car will probably never see 12s

I'd agree with you with the 5 speed and boost. That's the best way to go. Auto with boost still has a long way to go before it hits 12s. Auto with 125 nitrous on the other hand ...
Old 10-27-2002, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you plan on keeping it an everyday driver, do the swap I think you will enjoy it more. BUT if you want a track demon and plan on cranking up the boost and polishing etc., stick with the auto and do a partial rebuild. My opinion. Just look at all the fastest Maxs.
-Cyrus
Old 10-27-2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Romeo
five speed. think about it this way...no matter what you do to your car, mod for mod, a five speed will always have a leg up on you. plus you'd be driving a five speed!
What do you mean you'd be driving a 5 spd.......auto's are more expensive, 5 spds are faster, it's personal preference but if you want speed go with the 5 spd, but if you already have boost maybe you'd do something else
Old 10-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Old 10-27-2002, 01:27 PM

I want a 5 speed cause I do have boost and I know its a hell of alot more fun, but on the other hand I hear that a torque converter along with port and polished heads will make my car a hell of alot faster also.

the 5 speed swap is prob gonna run me about 2 grand with parts and install but I am not sure about how much a torque converter is. I also havent done much research on how much is costs to do port and polished heads. Does anyone know how much either of them cost and if so how much install may be?
Old 10-27-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 10-27-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I want a 5 speed cause I do have boost and I know its a hell of alot more fun, but on the other hand I hear that a torque converter along with port and polished heads will make my car a hell of alot faster also.

the 5 speed swap is prob gonna run me about 2 grand with parts and install but I am not sure about how much a torque converter is. I also havent done much research on how much is costs to do port and polished heads. Does anyone know how much either of them cost and if so how much install may be?
TC should be about $1k installed. Port/polish varies a ton on the shop that does it.
-Cyrus
Old 10-27-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

TC should be about $1k installed. Port/polish varies a ton on the shop that does it.
-Cyrus

so both of them together costs about as much as the 5 speed swap would. If that is the case I would do the 5 speed
Old 10-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Vyrus
TC should be about $1k installed.
-Cyrus
if someone runs you $1k to install a TC than they need to be shot!!! TC install ALONE(R&R tranny and install TC) should be no more than $500+/-
Old 10-27-2002, 01:35 PM

so both of them together costs about as much as the 5 speed swap would. If that is the case I would do the 5 speed
Spend $3k to rebuild your tranny and you will burn 5spds with similar mods... But it's up to you. Some say there's no fun like driving the 5spd. If that's the case for you, the auto will never live up to your standards. But if you have the cash get the tiptronic thingy for your auto, that's hot.
-Cyrus
Old 10-27-2002, 02:23 PM

5spd!!! No contest IMO. I would do if I had the money and most importantly time.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My question is >>>>>>>>

how well can you drive and shift ???? An auto tranny will always be more consistant, if you are not that skilled and comfortable in driving a manual tranny, than there is no use in getting one, stick with the auto tranny and get that one modded. It is a fact tht no matter how long some people have been driving a stick, some are never able to really shift really fast or know the proper technique in driving a manual tranny car really fast. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:40 PM

Assuming everything else is constant, you will always put down more power to the ground with a 5-speed than an auto, not to mention gear ratios...your top speed will be higher.

Also, since you have boost, you'll hear your BOV when you shift..with your auto, you probably have to quickly let off the throttle if you wanna hear the BOV. IMHO, 5-speeds are just cooler in general.

However, I don't know if you want to give up the convenience of an auto. That's probably the biggest decision anyone considering an auto->5 speed conversion has to make.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: My question is >>>>>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
how well can you drive and shift ???? An auto tranny will always be more consistant, if you are not that skilled and comfortable in driving a manual tranny, than there is no use in getting one, stick with the auto tranny and get that one modded. It is a fact tht no matter how long some people have been driving a stick, some are never able to really shift really fast or know the proper technique in driving a manual tranny car really fast. Good luck and God Bless.

I am a pretty good driver when it comes to 5 speed. I learned on my dad's 99 vette and till then have driven many stick sports cars parking them working at a private country club for 5 years

I think I am going to do 5 speed just because one its more fun and 2 my car will be faster
Old 10-27-2002, 08:21 PM

i was in a simular situation. i was considering to put a blower on my car, 5speed swap, or rebuild the auto tranny and progress to blower. well i started to rebuild the tranny with a VB mod and then about a month or so ago i decided that i would take the little bit of money i ran into and do a swap after test drving a 99 5speed i want a stick now. the only bad thing is that my dad advised me to wait til after winter to do the swap so i wasnt breaking in the clutch in the snow, so after winter and when i find a little time... here i come 5speed!!!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
i was in a simular situation. i was considering to put a blower on my car, 5speed swap, or rebuild the auto tranny and progress to blower. well i started to rebuild the tranny with a VB mod and then about a month or so ago i decided that i would take the little bit of money i ran into and do a swap after test drving a 99 5speed i want a stick now. the only bad thing is that my dad advised me to wait til after winter to do the swap so i wasnt breaking in the clutch in the snow, so after winter and when i find a little time... here i come 5speed!!!

good call man I will be doing mine shortly after the new year
Old 10-27-2002, 08:46 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

5spd.

It's not just the extra power (which is there), it's also the fact that if you want to drive like an old granny and get the extra mpg then you can. If you want to drive fast, then you can select gear that will keep you in the 4-5k rpm range.

And if you can predict what gear you need (exiting corner / counting down to acceleration / waiting for an opportunity to pass someone) then you can already be in that gear at 4krpm when you stab the gas. And when you do, the power is there NOW. Not in 1sec, when teh tranny has kicked down (if it kicks down this time).

Just after I got my max I went driving with a couple of guys in my car, and a mate of mine also brought his new domestic sedan with 3.8v6 and autobox, and a few folks in his car too. We got to a straight stretch of road and I pulled up alongside him. I put in the clutch, revved the engine to smoothly downshift to 2nd without changing my roadspeed. I was at 4k on the tach, and decided to show him what my car could do. (This wasn't a race, just a 'display of acceleration.) I counted down from three with my fingers so he could see, then tramped on the gas. By the time his slushbox had downshifted I was carlengths ahead. He never even tried to follow me, such was the extent of the smackdown.

And when you're cruising at night, minding yer own business and a fartcan honda revs his 4-banger next to you, then you can set off and match his speed, then wating until you get to 4k rppm, then floor it. After you lurch forward two carlengths quicker than he can say "HOLY CRAP" you stop accelerating, let him catch up and carry on cruising. (then he'll speed away and think he 'won')
Old 10-28-2002, 06:09 AM

How much does a tranny swap for the 4th gen cost? Because a 5th gen tranny swap costs something like $3000+ including installation. A new torque converter\port, polish\install shouldn't cost anywhere near that (I'd guess). So how much money are you looking to spend on this? Either way, the 5-speed is a better idea, except the car might never run the same as you're used to. I think any major drivetrain work will throw the car off a little from a stock feel. With the TC\port, polish, it will feel like the same car, just faster.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:54 AM
rilla dope

Hmmm, p/p and a TC, that's a good idea. How would one go about getting a nice TC setup? I've got an auto, but I can't ever drive stick again (shattered left foot) so I'd love to hear my options keeping the auto. I didn't know there were good TC and port/polish setups for the 5g. Anyone know a price range and what sort of difference it would make for me?
Old 10-28-2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Hmmm, p/p and a TC, that's a good idea. How would one go about getting a nice TC setup? I've got an auto, but I can't ever drive stick again (shattered left foot) so I'd love to hear my options keeping the auto. I didn't know there were good TC and port/polish setups for the 5g. Anyone know a price range and what sort of difference it would make for me?
Not sure about the port\polish, but you can check www.protorque.com for a custom TC, since most manufacturers don't make Maxima-specific products. DMAN2K_Max had one from them when he had his 2K SE SC. I have his SC, but he didn't have the time to have the TC removed so I could buy it. They cost about $500, plus install charges.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
How much does a tranny swap for the 4th gen cost? Because a 5th gen tranny swap costs something like $3000+ including installation. A new torque converter\port, polish\install shouldn't cost anywhere near that (I'd guess). So how much money are you looking to spend on this? Either way, the 5-speed is a better idea, except the car might never run the same as you're used to. I think any major drivetrain work will throw the car off a little from a stock feel. With the TC\port, polish, it will feel like the same car, just faster.

I am probably looking at 2k at he most for the parts and install on the 5 speed conversion from what I have been told.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Anyone know a price range and what sort of difference it would make for me?
A couple hundred at least over 500 I think and about 1Hp. Not worth it at all.

SuDZ
Old 10-28-2002, 12:22 PM

6-Speed conversion!

But seriously, even if you suck at stick, you will learn. We all had to start someplace. But man, I wouldn't trade my manual gearbox for anything short of a GT-R (but then those don't come in auto...). I wouldn't even trade it for a TC. As a daily driver, I'd rather have a less-power manual than a more-power auto.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
How much does a tranny swap for the 4th gen cost? Because a 5th gen tranny swap costs something like $3000+ including installation. A new torque converter\port, polish\install shouldn't cost anywhere near that (I'd guess). So how much money are you looking to spend on this?
i dont know about a 5th gen, but i am swaping in like april and dont plan on spending more than $1,800. less would be great but willing to spend more. think about it, with all basic bolt on's and my 5speed swap i can expect mid 14's maybe low 14's on a good day. that speed for 2k isnt bad, a supercharger is 4k and would only get my into high 13's low 14's plus i would have to rebuild my auto if i was blown. if you think about it, it might be a better bang for the buck than a y-pipe to do a swap if you are a good driver

just my .02
Old 10-28-2002, 04:58 PM

Keep your auto and get a loose torque converter if you want to win races. You will et better than a standard at the track with a properly sized torque converter and traction with same hp engine. A 5 or 6 speed will not out et an automatic set up right. If you just want a fun street car then to many a standard is more fun.

I will put my 98 auto Camaro up against a standard of same hp any day and win! I even beat standards with more hp than I have simply because I out 60' them.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Larry
Keep your auto and get a loose torque converter if you want to win races. You will et better than a standard at the track with a properly sized torque converter and traction with same hp engine. A 5 or 6 speed will not out et an automatic set up right. If you just want a fun street car then to many a standard is more fun.

I will put my 98 auto Camaro up against a standard of same hp any day and win! I even beat standards with more hp than I have simply because I out 60' them.

gees I have been getting advice left and right about these 2 diff mods and I still think I really want 5 speed. I mean I want a car that is more fun to drive plus I do have boost and I dont know if a 5 speed with be faster or a TC and ported and polished heads. Not many people on the org I dont think have dont a TC and P&P. Rather they have done a 5 speed swap which makes me think should I go with the flow or dare to be diff and see if the TC and P&P will be better and faster
Old 10-28-2002, 05:11 PM

gees I have been getting advice left and right about these 2 diff mods and I still think I really want 5 speed. I mean I want a car that is more fun to drive plus I do have boost and I dont know if a 5 speed with be faster or a TC and ported and polished heads. Not many people on the org I dont think have dont a TC and P&P. Rather they have done a 5 speed swap which makes me think should I go with the flow or dare to be diff and see if the TC and P&P will be better and faster
Boost? If you are going to run a turbo then an auto is a must unless you plan to power shift every gear. Even with a supercharger you will 60' better with an automatic and a properly sized converter.

Take a trip to the track and see what tranny's the 9 and 10 seconds cars are running.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:15 PM

Boost? If you are going to run a turbo then an auto is a must unless you plan to power shift every gear. Even with a supercharger you will 60' better with an automatic and a properly sized converter.

Take a trip to the track and see what tranny's the 9 and 10 seconds cars are running.

I am supercharged that is why I am asking which one may be better. Most cars that run the fastest times at the track are auto cars with a sh*t load of internal engine work. I am really tossed up in the air with this one eventhough most people say get a 5 speed it is very tempting to be different. Maybe I do get a TC and P&P who known maybe I will be faster then some boosted 5 speed max's you never know. I want to know if anyone on the ORG has done TC and/or P&P and if so what are their times and how much more HP do they get if any?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:24 PM

I am supercharged that is why I am asking which one may be better. Most cars that run the fastest times at the track are auto cars with a sh*t load of internal engine work. I am really tossed up in the air with this one eventhough most people say get a 5 speed it is very tempting to be different. Maybe I do get a TC and P&P who known maybe I will be faster then some boosted 5 speed max's you never know. I want to know if anyone on the ORG has done TC and/or P&P and if so what are their times and how much more HP do they get if any?
I love my Maxima but to be perfectly honest with you, you are starting out with the wrong car to make as much hp and want to go as fast as you want to go. You will never be able to launch with a RWD car! If you are going to spend this much money and effort get a Camaro, Trans Am or Mustang so you can go fast a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:41 PM

I love my Maxima but to be perfectly honest with you, you are starting out with the wrong car to make as much hp and want to go as fast as you want to go. You will never be able to launch with a RWD car! If you are going to spend this much money and efford get a Camaro, Trans Am or Mustang so you can go fast a lot easier and cheaper.

no offence but I dont like american cars that much. my brother has a 12 sec 86 camaro with a crate 350 ZZ4 motor/MSD, 4.11 gears and more. His car is always down and broken. I like my maxima cause I can drive it everywhere and it is a great car and very reliable. There are 12 and 13 sec max's out there and I know it cost alot of $$ to make them fast and it is cheaper to buy an american car and make it faster but jsut as I said I like Japanes and German cars and think they have way more potential and and more reliable then any american car out there

also my dad has a 99 vette and a 02 monte carlo SS, they are into american and I am into Jap and German cars but while their cars are sitting in the driveway/junkyard mine will still be on the road running strong
Old 10-28-2002, 06:59 PM

Lets put it this way. If you have a High Torque Engine an automatic would be just about as good as a Stick Shift. The reason for this is a Torque Converter multiplies torque, if you have a big engine(oh for instance an LT1) than that torque converter is going to multiply the torque and quarter mile times will be only a tenth or so of a second slower than an 5 speed. However if you have a smaller engine such as a B16. Your going to see about a 2 second difference in Quarter mile times. The VQ30 kind of lands in the middle of the two engines and its a toss up. If you were to be able to raise the torque in your engine about 50 or 60 Lbs, you would see little difference between a 5 speed and an automatic. Just remember, most Drag Cars use Power Glide transmissions which are automatic, while most little cars such as a Geo Metro use a 5 speed, so it is just based on where your engine lands in the middle.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by jemartin
Lets put it this way. If you have a High Torque Engine an automatic would be just about as good as a Stick Shift. The reason for this is a Torque Converter multiplies torque, if you have a big engine(oh for instance an LT1) than that torque converter is going to multiply the torque and quarter mile times will be only a tenth or so of a second slower than an 5 speed. However if you have a smaller engine such as a B16. Your going to see about a 2 second difference in Quarter mile times. The VQ30 kind of lands in the middle of the two engines and its a toss up. If you were to be able to raise the torque in your engine about 50 or 60 Lbs, you would see little difference between a 5 speed and an automatic. Just remember, most Drag Cars use Power Glide transmissions which are automatic, while most little cars such as a Geo Metro use a 5 speed, so it is just based on where your engine lands in the middle.
jemartin,

Where in the world are you getting your information? Try another source!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:44 AM

Do this instead

If you plan on racing alot just get the higher stall TC. I believe stall speed around 1700-2300rpm would be very streetable. But I'd get a core auto and stuff a 4.17 gear from a se-r in there. The TC + 4.17 gears equals fast auto. However it would still get walked from a roll by a 5spd though . The weird thing is that if both cars have the same whp the auto with 4.17s would win. But given both cars have I/Y/E the 5spd is only 1 tenth quicker in the 1/4. After that the distance between 5spd and auto grows considerably.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:02 AM

Re: Do this instead

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
If you plan on racing alot just get the higher stall TC. I believe stall speed around 1700-2300rpm would be very streetable. But I'd get a core auto and stuff a 4.17 gear from a se-r in there. The TC + 4.17 gears equals fast auto. However it would still get walked from a roll by a 5spd though . The weird thing is that if both cars have the same whp the auto with 4.17s would win. But given both cars have I/Y/E the 5spd is only 1 tenth quicker in the 1/4. After that the distance between 5spd and auto grows considerably.
"1700-2300 rpm"? My stock converter stalls at 2300 on my 2K2. We need a 3500(maybe a little more) stall to get the job done with a stock 2K2 engine. For max acceleration you want the stall speed approximately 500 rpm below max torque. This is usually a little loose for street so you might get a little tighter for street use. I have a 3600 rpm stall in my 98 LS1 Camaro and it is fairly streetable.

Forget the gear, with the correct stall lower gearing won't help. Our cars are geared fair low already.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Do this instead

I'm probably getting stall vs flash stall speed mixed up. Also there is a big difference between the f-body gear ratio vs maxima. The F-bodies get a deep 3.06 1st gear, where as the maxima gets a 2.79. Even though the maxima uses a 3.62, it doesn't have the optimal amount of torque multiplication. I had a protorque convertor on my 87 max and it did give a higher stall speed around 300-500rpm. 2800rpm stall + 4.10 final gear should make for a quick auto max.

"1700-2300 rpm"? My stock converter stalls at 2300 on my 2K2. We need a 3500(maybe a little more) stall to get the job done with a stock 2K2 engine. For max acceleration you want the stall speed approximately 500 rpm below max torque. This is usually a little loose for street so you might get a little tighter for street use. I have a 3600 rpm stall in my 98 LS1 Camaro and it is fairly streetable.

Forget the gear, with the correct stall lower gearing won't help. Our cars are geared fair low already.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:00 AM

Now I DEF think I am going to go with 5 speed. In doing some research to port and polish my heads I would have to have the whole engine pulled which I am not going to have done. A TC will not make my car really any faster, but off the line will be faster thats about it. I am going to do 5 speed with an I30T tranny cause it has the LSD built right into it.

Thank you all for your info and input

Jay
Old 10-29-2002, 09:29 AM

Now I DEF think I am going to go with 5 speed. In doing some research to port and polish my heads I would have to have the whole engine pulled which I am not going to have done. A TC will not make my car really any faster, but off the line will be faster thats about it. I am going to do 5 speed with an I30T tranny cause it has the LSD built right into it.

Thank you all for your info and input

Jay
Jay,

Your car will be faster even from a roll with a loose converter. At each shift with your stock converter your car falls on it face. Mine drops to 4000 rpm, much below peak torque, on every shift. This won't happen with a converter. Sized right it will never drop below peak torque.

Have you ever been in a race when you seesaw back and forth. Meaning you gain on your opponent and then he gains on you? This effect is pretty much eliminated with a loose converter. The car pulls all the way through.

Stock for stock, a 5 speed will be about .2, maybe .3 faster than an automatic with a stock converter based on my times verses what I have seen posted for other cars. With traction our automatics will gain .5+ seconds in the 1/4 mile with a properly sized converter. Do the numbers now and which one will be faster?

Nismo87SE,

Stall speed is read with the brake holding the tires so as they do not spin and engine at full throttle. With my engine at full throttle it comes up to only 2300 rpm. That is my stall speed with my engine. Most RWD cars won't hold traction to determine true stall but my FWD Maxima will.

With a 2.79 and 3.62 gearing you have indicated, we have plenty low first. We don't need any lower than a 10.0(2.79 x 3.62) ratio with the right stall. My Camaro was a 8.35 and with my 3600 I went to a 10.46 and my et did not improve. Been there done that! I did improve my 60' slightly going from a 3.23 to a 3.55 gear in my 10 second Mustang but I had a 2.48 first gear. That was going from an 8.01 to a 8.80 but with only a 3200 stall. Maybe no gain had I had a 3600 stall but would not have made it to the lights without going over max rpm.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:08 AM

Jay,

Your car will be faster even from a roll with a loose converter. At each shift with your stock converter your car falls on it face. Mine drops to 4000 rpm, much below peak torque, on every shift. This won't happen with a converter. Sized right it will never drop below peak torque.

Have you ever been in a race when you seesaw back and forth. Meaning you gain on your opponent and then he gains on you? This effect is pretty much eliminated with a loose converter. The car pulls all the way through.

Stock for stock, a 5 speed will be about .2, maybe .3 faster than an automatic with a stock converter based on my times verses what I have seen posted for other cars. With traction our automatics will gain .5+ seconds in the 1/4 mile with a properly sized converter. Do the numbers now and which one will be faster?

so your saying that you think a auto supercharged maxima with a TC is faster then a 5 speed supercharged maxima, somehow I do not believe that....

Quick Reply: Torque converter & port and polished heads VS. 5 speed?