3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

This is gonna leave a mark!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003 | 07:56 AM

This is gonna leave a mark!

Wouldn't you know that only about a month after buying my 5th gen that I'd have a major expense on the 3rd gen. The car stater spitting and sputtering and hesitating yesterday. I get it down to the dealership last night. They call up today and say that I have an injector that went bad. And of course its on the back side of the motor where they have to remove the plenum and God knows what else. $500+ job! I just sent out the first payment on the 5th gen AND my 6 month insurance payment, now this. Guess I'm not going on a vacation any time soon.
Old 02-28-2003 | 08:00 AM

Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

why the dealership. they are always outrageously expensive.

Originally posted by maxmizd27
I get it down to the dealership last night. They call up today and say that I have an injector that went bad. And of course its on the back side of the motor where they have to remove the plenum and God knows what else. $500+ job!
Old 02-28-2003 | 08:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

your 3rd gen is p1ssed that you got a 5th gen..so it's getting u back for selling out.
Old 02-28-2003 | 08:24 AM

Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

Originally posted by atulb84
why the dealership. they are always outrageously expensive.

'Cuz I don't feel like trying to figure out how to pull the plenum in my un-heated 30 degree garage. Most other shops around here are hacks. If I was comfortable with that I'd do it myself.
Old 02-28-2003 | 08:56 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

'Cuz I don't feel like trying to figure out how to pull the plenum in my un-heated 30 degree garage. Most other shops around here are hacks. If I was comfortable with that I'd do it myself.
have them do all 6 Brian. make it a one time job.
Old 02-28-2003 | 09:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have used injectors for sale.
Old 02-28-2003 | 10:35 AM

Just get it done at a local shop. On my old 89 GXE I had a couple go out at different times and just had the local Amoco shop do them. I don't think it was more than 300 or so. 50/hr at Amoco, 80/hr at Nissan. Easy choice for me.
Old 02-28-2003 | 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

Originally posted by Chris91SE

have them do all 6 Brian. make it a one time job.
He gave me that option. $1,200.
Old 02-28-2003 | 11:16 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
your 3rd gen is p1ssed that you got a 5th gen..so it's getting u back for selling out.
The poor thing has to sit out now. With the miserable winter we've been having, I wouldn't doubt it. It said, "Oh yea? 5th gen this!"
Old 02-28-2003 | 11:18 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

He gave me that option. $1,200.
F that. it's the same amount of labor. Just extra parts. Reasons why I can't stand the service area of dealers. Oh well....

Talk to Rob dude...seriously
Old 02-28-2003 | 11:19 AM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I have used injectors for sale.
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

Originally posted by Chris91SE

F that. it's the same amount of labor. Just extra parts. Reasons why I can't stand the service area of dealers. Oh well....

Talk to Rob dude...seriously
It's already finished. They had it done, plus a couple other little things, in about 6 hours. I'm picking it up today. Just not going to be doing with my tax return what I wanted to. That picked up most of it.
I don't mind taking the time to mess with with stuff when the weather is nice and it's comfortable to be in the garage for hours on end, but in the dead of winter with still a foot of snow on the ground and no heat out there, forget it!
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:22 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

It's already finished. They had it done, plus a couple other little things, in about 6 hours. I'm picking it up today. Just not going to be doing with my tax return what I wanted to. That picked up most of it.
I don't mind taking the time to mess with with stuff when the weather is nice and it's comfortable to be in the garage for hours on end, but in the dead of winter with still a foot of snow on the ground and no heat out there, forget it!
Trust me I hear you. I replaced my injectors last weekend and am about to go outside and see if I can fix some probs i'm now having and hopefully replace the motor/tranny mounts. There's just no way i'd pay a dealer to do that stuff.
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

You could get a heater.
Old 03-01-2003 | 11:23 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny

You could get a heater.
yeah but he already had the job done, too late now
Old 03-01-2003 | 05:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is gonna leave a mark!

Originally posted by N34JZ

yeah but he already had the job done, too late now
Still good to have one for next time
I wish I could fit my Max in the garage and have room to work, I just bought new speakers for the front and have no place to install them... Even when it's nice out (This 40 degree stuff is NICE after the negatives we've been having) there's too much ice on the driveway to work safely.
Old 03-02-2003 | 08:14 AM
Banned

you guys are all pu$$y's!
actually i'm just kidding. but us crazy canadians were out in full force yesterday. temperature was about -5 celsius.
oops, 25 farenheit
anyways there was about 8 of us. one guy installed an rsb. another changed his plugs(sure is a pain in the as$ on the 4th gen). another replaced a broken control arm. and i stared at my engine bay for hours on end to figure out a place to mount my new toy (AN AIR HORN!). still can't think of a good place to mount this damn air horn! Their too damn big!

sure we were cold but it was still fun.
Old 03-02-2003 | 08:10 PM

Originally posted by shock211
you guys are all pu$$y's!
actually i'm just kidding. but us crazy canadians were out in full force yesterday. temperature was about -5 celsius.
oops, 25 farenheit
anyways there was about 8 of us. one guy installed an rsb. another changed his plugs(sure is a pain in the as$ on the 4th gen). another replaced a broken control arm. and i stared at my engine bay for hours on end to figure out a place to mount my new toy (AN AIR HORN!). still can't think of a good place to mount this damn air horn! Their too damn big!

sure we were cold but it was still fun.
Holy @#$%! And I think the weather sucks here? I wouldn't want to do anything fun in those kinds of temps let alone car repairs. I want to move to Florida so as it is. I'll be freezing my butt of soon enough trying to find the annoying noise in my right rear brake and replacing the gaskets in my cat-back. There's just no way I'm going to try to figure out everything that's connected to the plenum, having never done it before, this time of year. Maybe I'll give it a whirl when one of the remaining five original injectors goes next.
Old 03-03-2003 | 06:46 AM
Banned

Holy @#$%! And I think the weather sucks here? I wouldn't want to do anything fun in those kinds of temps let alone car repairs. I want to move to Florida so as it is. I'll be freezing my butt of soon enough trying to find the annoying noise in my right rear brake and replacing the gaskets in my cat-back. There's just no way I'm going to try to figure out everything that's connected to the plenum, having never done it before, this time of year. Maybe I'll give it a whirl when one of the remaining five original injectors goes next.
my girl is from toronto and she goes to school in cali. and the weather there is soooo nice all year around. but she says that the people out there are complaining about the cold during winter and she's complaining that it's too hot for her.
trust me, if you were to move to fla, after you got used to the heat you would think it was too cold to work on your car if you could see your breathe in the air at 50 degrees.

temp in toronto right now -1 farenheit. not even us crazy canadians
would be working on our cars today.
fu#k i have to get gas today before i go to work. i don't want to stand outside and pump gas. it's soo cold outside right now that your eyes freeze..

good luck with the car.