3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New owner needs window help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 02:13 PM

New owner needs window help...

I'm a brand new Maxima owner and have a few questions, please help as you probably know better than I.
I bought the car knowing it needs a rear pass side window motor (common I have found out) anyway today the drivers side window I thought also gave out (would not go down) but then later on I happen to press the switch again and bingo down it goes no problem -up-down a few more times no problem at all works like a champ until I press again and nothing ,now it will not go down. Is this the motor on that window as well? I thought if the motor would go it would just quit and die, could this be an intermittent window switch instead.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:52 PM
STFU n00b!

when you say it won't move, can you hear the motor running and the glass isn't moving, or does the motor itself not turn at all?

the switches and the regulators (up/down slider mechanism) are common to break, but the motors generally last a long time.

if you can hear the motor turning but the glass isn't moving, then it's the regulator. go to www.courtesyparts.com and buy one from them. soon as you go to the 89-94 maxima section, it'll show up on the front page. (that's how common it is!)
the new ones are improved with added braces and stronger parts.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:40 PM

I hear nothing, you press the button and there is no motor no sound ,nothing.That is why I thought it to be the switch, a motor would just quit but when I pressed the button again and the window was moving again then again it did not the next time, intermittent is the word. Also the window is not "free" meaning you cannot manually move it up or down.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:36 PM
STFU n00b!

okay.. yup, sounds like the switch is going on you.

you have a couple options..
1: clean
2a: replace w/ new. $$$$
2b: replace w/ junkyard $

to clean them, remove the top part of the door handle. there's instructions on craig b's webpage on how to remove the door panel- you'll only need a small part of that.
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/...regulator.html

when you get the switch out, you'll see the four up/down buttons resting on a hinge, of sorts.
use a small screwdriver and carefully pop off the covers on the buttons.

be careful when you do, as there's some small springs and ball bearing type guys in there. remember how they go in.
once you get it apart, you'll see the electrical contacts.. use some very fine steel wool or a pink pencil eraser to rub the contact areas clean. put everything back together and it should work better.

so far, I've fixed about five of these door switches, and several electric seat switches..
Old 03-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help!
Old 03-07-2003, 07:18 PM

I have a drivers side power window and lock switch assembly for sale. Email me at pnnyhrdwy1@aol.com If you are interested.