3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:51 PM

bleeding brakes

Quick question - the calipres I ordered finally came in so I can switch out my leaky ones. Anyway, if I'm just replacing the front capilers, do I need to bleed all four wheels or just the two fronts?

I know all 4 is best since it will make sure no air is in the lines, but can an air bubble really get to the rear lines from the front? The FSM I just got doesn't mention what to do other then bleed em.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: bleeding brakes

Originally posted by medic
Quick question - the calipres I ordered finally came in so I can switch out my leaky ones. Anyway, if I'm just replacing the front capilers, do I need to bleed all four wheels or just the two fronts?

I know all 4 is best since it will make sure no air is in the lines, but can an air bubble really get to the rear lines from the front? The FSM I just got doesn't mention what to do other then bleed em.
Yes!
LF & RR are on same diagonal line. RF & LR are on same diagonal line. So you really need to bleed all 4. They are designed this way so that if you lose one half you still will stop straight when brakes are applied. Better to do it right!
Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM

Thanks man for saving my butt again.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Really? I thought that the front and rears were seperate so that you only have to bleed the back if u change the back or bleed the front if u change the front. When I changed my struts I had to disconnect the brake line on the back, and ended up bleeding only the back brakes. My brakes work fine now...was i just lucky ?

-payne-
Old 03-11-2003, 05:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
[B]Really? I thought that the front and rears were seperate so that you only have to bleed the back if u change the back or bleed the front if u change the front. When I changed my struts I had to disconnect the brake line on the back, and ended up bleeding only the back brakes. My brakes work fine now...was i just lucky ?

The brakes are set up diagonally for safety and ability to steer or stop in a straight line if you lose a diagonal pair. I don't take chances on brakes or tires, I go the extra mile for safety and peace of mind.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:17 AM
rcy

Re: bleeding brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by medic

[/QUOTE

You may as well do all four - not only are the front and rears diagonally linked, but by doing all four you get brand new fluid in the whole system. Don't just bleed till you see no bubbles, bleed until new fluid comes out. This way you know you've got clean fluid in each line.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:18 PM

Re: Re: bleeding brakes

Originally posted by rcy
You may as well do all four - not only are the front and rears diagonally linked, but by doing all four you get brand new fluid in the whole system. Don't just bleed till you see no bubbles, bleed until new fluid comes out. This way you know you've got clean fluid in each line. [/B]
How much fluid does that require to replace all the fluid? Do I need to buy the gallon brake fluid at Napa or can I just get one or two of the big bottles.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: bleeding brakes

How much fluid does that require to replace all the fluid? Do I need to buy the gallon brake fluid at Napa or can I just get one or two of the big bottles.
I big bottle should do it, not a gallon bottle.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:07 PM
rcy

Re: Re: Re: bleeding brakes

I used one big bottle (not the gallon bottle) and I had lots left over. Mind you, I broke the bleed bolt on my pass rear and never managed to flush that line, but if I hadn't, I still would have had enough brake fluid in the one big bottle.