3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bored out the TB (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003 | 05:04 PM

Bored out the TB (pics)

I made the resolution too small, o well.

I quickly looked at them side by side and it was pretty incredible. I used a really aggresive bit for the drill to remove the bulk material. then I used the dremil and a Silicon Carbide wheel, note that you will need a very hard dressing wheel to clean the aluminum out of the silicon carbide wheel. Also I dont reccomend using an aluminum oxide wheel, it will get clogged up real fast, and is just a waste of time. For final sanding I used some emmery cloth and made my own sanding wheel with it to be used with my drill.

BrianH, reported a gain of something like 12hp or more, which I found kinda high. But I do think the gain is noticeable, and a worthy mod.

Also note that the bore that I made is tappered and not straight through, this is the velocity stack 'accelerating' action that is already apart of the OEM design, boring it out makes it much more aggressive.

I have an extra TB for sale, its for a VE auto and in MINT condition.
Old 03-22-2003 | 05:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Bored out the TB (pics)

Yeah, I found 12Hp to be a little high also. I do seriously think I shaved off a tenth in the 1/4. Here are my pics:

http://www16.brinkster.com/ajkimball/TBpage.htm

Eric, I found those little sand paper roll cartridges to work the best. And to finish it up, I used a polish wheel. All this was done on an industrial strength electric die grinder. Very nice!
Old 03-22-2003 | 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Bored out the TB (pics)

You didn't open up the back of the TB? Just the front?
Old 03-22-2003 | 05:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Bored out the TB (pics)

Originally posted by Sudesh
You didn't open up the back of the TB? Just the front?
Who are you talking to? If you're talking to me, then yes I ported the back as much as I possibly could. I had to grind off a great deal on the manifold to get it to match without a lip or a wave in the airflow.
Old 03-22-2003 | 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bored out the TB (pics)

Any of you guys know what's the stock size of the TB?

aron, nice work.
Old 03-22-2003 | 06:17 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bored out the TB (pics)

Originally posted by Sudesh
Any of you guys know what's the stock size of the TB?

aron, nice work.
The plate is 60mm... which is how to measure the size of a TB.
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man...i gotta do this...good stuff...im kinda a lil 2 worried about getting stuff down the intake... and im 2 lazy right now 2 take it off...man thats a pain
Old 03-23-2003 | 12:26 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Maximajism94se
man...i gotta do this...good stuff...im kinda a lil 2 worried about getting stuff down the intake... and im 2 lazy right now 2 take it off...man thats a pain
Go to my webpage and look at how I did it. You stuff lint free paper towels as hard as you can down in the intake. Newspaper also works great. So, stuff atleast 3 good wands down in the manifold. Do your port matching and then use a shop vac or tape to get out all the shavings and metal dust before you remove your towels.

Then, remove the towels. That's it. It's not that hard. The matching was the easiest part of the entire porting project. It took me 20 minutes, where as the TB porting took 3-5 hours.
Old 03-23-2003 | 07:40 PM

I was going to open it up alittle with the dremel. But we were changing the knock sensor anyways so i just took my intake manifold and plenum and TB to a machine shop.

They're bout done with the TB. They're opening it up to 71mm all the way through. New plate an all.
Old 03-24-2003 | 05:05 AM

None of you changed out your butterfly valve? if you ported out the whole VB and changed out your butterfly for a bigger one then you would probably get better results i think. i am going to do that with my VG VB. make the whole VB the same port size and then you wouldnt have the bottle neck problem. if you know what i mean. just a suggestion.. i havent done mine yet but i will let you know how it goes when i am done.
Old 03-24-2003 | 12:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Turbo91max
None of you changed out your butterfly valve? if you ported out the whole VB and changed out your butterfly for a bigger one then you would probably get better results i think. i am going to do that with my VG VB. make the whole VB the same port size and then you wouldnt have the bottle neck problem. if you know what i mean. just a suggestion.. i havent done mine yet but i will let you know how it goes when i am done.
The bottleneck isn't a problem, it's a nessecity. If you are going to change the plate for a bigger one, do not bored it straight through without some velocity angles. Try your best to keep the angle that comes in the stock TB. Just make it bigger. Since a machine shop probably can't do this while changing the plate, they have to bored it straight through... and the results are iffy since you got rid of the stock angles.

It's only a theory and I haven't seen it proven yet.
Old 03-25-2003 | 10:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sith what are they charging you to do that, my friend had his jeep tb bored out from 45mm to 53 for like 60 bucks and felt the difference
Old 03-25-2003 | 11:48 AM

Well their doing my TB, Plenum and Intake manifold.
Their boring my TB to 73mm, port matching my Plenum, opening up my plenum and smoothing it out, and opening up my manifold and were going to open up the heads on the car. They're also pluggin my EGR valve and taking it out.

Dont' know an actual price yet but it should come out to around 200 bucks. Probably more though.
Old 03-25-2003 | 12:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Sith
Well their doing my TB, Plenum and Intake manifold.
Their boring my TB to 73mm, port matching my Plenum, opening up my plenum and smoothing it out, and opening up my manifold and were going to open up the heads on the car. They're also pluggin my EGR valve and taking it out.

Dont' know an actual price yet but it should come out to around 200 bucks. Probably more though.
Sith, if they are going to remove your intake manifold, get them to go ahead and open up the runners on the upper and lower intake.

I'm doing the EGR block before I go to the track again this Friday.
Old 03-25-2003 | 01:18 PM

'don in texas' did a complete port and polish, and only gained 1 ft.lb of tq . So its not worth the money, he removed something like a couple pounds of materials!
Old 03-25-2003 | 01:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by eric93SE
'don in texas' did a complete port and polish, and only gained 1 ft.lb of tq . So its not worth the money, he removed something like a couple pounds of materials!
I think you are talking about a port and polish of the VQ heads. I am only talking about getting the intake manifold and TB to flow a little better.

BTW, what happened to the other thread we were talking in. I think it was "Got my car weighed at the track" or soemthing like that. Did you delete it?

While I am typing here, your VE Auto at the track is VERY prone to heat soak. In my car, I was able to shave off 6 tenths just by letting it cool down for 30-60 minutes. Don't run your car until you see the temp needle near the "C". Then, don't let it warm up when you are staging. You want the needle about a 1/4 way up the temp guage when you are launching it.

Also, my ram air setup for the track got rid of almost ALL heat soak. I was able to shave off 5 tenths (when warm) with that setup. I could run low 14.90's by hot lapping with the ram air. And then I let it cool for 30 minutes and ran a 14.83.

Are you letting your VE cool down? Or are you hot lapping with your POP Charger? I gotta go, I won't be able to check this thread again until late late tonight.
Old 03-25-2003 | 03:34 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by eric93SE
That doesnt sound right to me....

If I recall correctly he did a complete extrude hone job on the stock exhaust manifolds and got that result

Old 03-26-2003 | 05:09 AM

im getting my heads done too. but i am replacing my stock valves with bigger valves. and i am going to bore out my TB and try my best to bore out my intake manifold. Middle part and bottom. i cant really do anything with the top of the intake manifold. ... the VE and VG TBs are different. you have a single butterfly and the VG has two. i have a VG so i am going to bore it out and replace the butterflys. i think that will help more.
Old 03-26-2003 | 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

I think you are talking about a port and polish of the VQ heads. I am only talking about getting the intake manifold and TB to flow a little better.

BTW, what happened to the other thread we were talking in. I think it was "Got my car weighed at the track" or soemthing like that. Did you delete it?

While I am typing here, your VE Auto at the track is VERY prone to heat soak. In my car, I was able to shave off 6 tenths just by letting it cool down for 30-60 minutes. Don't run your car until you see the temp needle near the "C". Then, don't let it warm up when you are staging. You want the needle about a 1/4 way up the temp guage when you are launching it.

Also, my ram air setup for the track got rid of almost ALL heat soak. I was able to shave off 5 tenths (when warm) with that setup. I could run low 14.90's by hot lapping with the ram air. And then I let it cool for 30 minutes and ran a 14.83.

Are you letting your VE cool down? Or are you hot lapping with your POP Charger? I gotta go, I won't be able to check this thread again until late late tonight.

Yes, I'm hot lapping with a pop charger, I dont believe in letting the car cool down b/c its not realistic.

I'll consider a ram air setup, but it'll have to be more stealth than your setup (air filter sticking through headlamp?).
Old 03-26-2003 | 03:19 PM

I think there was a guy who had the whole TB bored out, and a bigger butterfly valve put in...

Oldman was his name, I think.
Old 03-26-2003 | 04:27 PM

Well our original plan was to pull EVERYTHING off and go through it all. Replacing the valve spring with SR20DE (or similar) springs that would raise the rev. limit and create more power. All of it is going onto a flow bench to see how much we've gained in flow. But i didn't wanna pull the heads off because of the timing chain which is complicated as hell. I wanted to rebuild my VTC's but i don't wanna mess with the timing. A Nissan tech told my machine guy that the engine has to be out of the car to take the heads off. I dunno i didn't wanna argue so i just said lets do the manifold then forget the heads.

But yeah he's opening the entire Intake Manifold and Plenum, and boring the TB.
And were gunna open the Intake just alittle hair on the heads while their on the car.

I have pictures of everything off the car and on just nowhere to host them. Also have pictures of my Trusty WSP Y-pipe with a faulty Flex Section!!!!
Old 03-26-2003 | 06:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Lordrandall
I think there was a guy who had the whole TB bored out, and a bigger butterfly valve put in...

Oldman was his name, I think.
Yeah, his name is Mike aka Candiman. He had ASP bored out the TB straight thru.
Old 03-27-2003 | 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

Yeah, his name is Mike aka Candiman. He had ASP bored out the TB straight thru.
Mike might have done it as well, but the guy I was thinking of was "Old man".

Old 04-06-2003 | 12:37 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by Sith
Well our original plan was to pull EVERYTHING off and go through it all. Replacing the valve spring with SR20DE (or similar) springs that would raise the rev. limit and create more power. All of it is going onto a flow bench to see how much we've gained in flow. But i didn't wanna pull the heads off because of the timing chain which is complicated as hell. I wanted to rebuild my VTC's but i don't wanna mess with the timing. A Nissan tech told my machine guy that the engine has to be out of the car to take the heads off. I dunno i didn't wanna argue so i just said lets do the manifold then forget the heads.

But yeah he's opening the entire Intake Manifold and Plenum, and boring the TB.
And were gunna open the Intake just alittle hair on the heads while their on the car.

I have pictures of everything off the car and on just nowhere to host them. Also have pictures of my Trusty WSP Y-pipe with a faulty Flex Section!!!!
So what's the latest on this?

Also what mods do you have?

Altitude corrected your time is 14.5