3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

manual transversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:05 PM

manual transversion

hey guys i love my max but i really want a manual. Now I was thinking about getting another max thats a manual. Then i thought about dropping in a manual in my max right now.Question is did anyone ever do that before and how much will it run me and would it be worth it
Old 03-31-2003, 06:14 AM
STFU n00b!

that's unpossible.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Large Member

A handful of people have done it. Make sure to find a good junk yard to get all the parts. I paid:

$650 - tranny, shifter, etc (99% of the parts necessary for conv.)
$100 - new OEM clutch kit (off Ebay, should of gone stage II)
$20 - resurface flywheel (should of got a Fidanza light flywheel)
$19 - new slave cylinder (get a new one when doing the conversion)
$29 - master cylinder (get a new one of these also)

There were a few other costs but basically I did it for under $1k. If you don't know what you are doing and pay a shop to do it, you'll be spending about $2k total for all the parts and labor. Though, if your auto tranny dies or is dying, the manual swap is a cheap alternative to rebuilding the auto.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
A handful of people have done it. Make sure to find a good junk yard to get all the parts. I paid:

There were a few other costs but basically I did it for under $1k. If you don't know what you are doing and pay a shop to do it, you'll be spending about $2k total for all the parts and labor. Though, if your auto tranny dies or is dying, the manual swap is a cheap alternative to rebuilding the auto.

thanks man that makes me happy cause i can see myself with stick shift now im happy
Old 03-31-2003, 08:25 PM

hey david if you interested and have the money i can get you the person for the perfect job.. and the conversion is about 1000 bucks.. all you have to do is get a junker max.. you can go on ebay and get a 5spd tranny, or the whole max.. and let my friend do the work.. which is the best in my humble opinion... if interested pm me.. and i'll get you the info.. just to tell you right now.. this is a costly mod...

edit spelling
Old 03-31-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
hey daivd if you interested and have the money i can get you the peron for the perfect job.. adn the conversion is about 1000 bucks.. all you have to do is get a junker max.. you can go on ebay and get a 5spd tranny, or the whole max.. and let my friend do the work.. which is the best in my humble opinion... if interested pm me.. and i'll get you the info.. just to tell you right now.. this is a costly mod...

thanks crazy4maxima i'll keep that in mind cause right now i have been failing inspection do to my front right suspension. so the first time i fail i brought it to shop class and it was obvious that my inner tie rod was bad so i replaced it and went to inspection today and failed once again so i dont know wtf to do. but knowing that i will be able to get a manual up in my car makes me feel better about me fail inspection but just a little bit
Old 03-31-2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by David89Max

thanks crazy4maxima i'll keep that in mind cause right now i have been failing inspection do to my front right suspension. so the first time i fail i brought it to shop class and it was obvious that my inner tie rod was bad so i replaced it and went to inspection today and failed once again so i dont know wtf to do. but knowing that i will be able to get a manual up in my car makes me feel better about me fail inspection but just a little bit
your in jersey right.. are you failing because of the alingment..??? did you change the tie rod end. also check your control arms.. sometimes with older maximas.. the bushing goes bad.. and it makes the max feel loose..
Old 03-31-2003, 09:27 PM

your in jersey right.. are you failing because of the alingment..??? did you change the tie rod end. also check your control arms.. sometimes with older maximas.. the bushing goes bad.. and it makes the max feel loose..

i change the inner tie rods but is it possiable to fail from an alignment cause i had to change my tires the inner thread was worn out
Old 03-31-2003, 09:29 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by David89Max thanks crazy4maxima i'll keep that in mind cause right now i have been failing inspection do to my front right suspension. so the first time i fail i brought it to shop class and it was obvious that my inner tie rod was bad so i replaced it and went to inspection today and failed once again so i dont know wtf to do. but knowing that i will be able to get a manual up in my car makes me feel better about me fail inspection but just a little bit
Ummm, and they're not telling you what's wrong with the car? WTF?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Ummm, and they're not telling you what's wrong with the car? WTF?

they just say someting is wrong with the front right suspension and i was like what is it and they were like we dont know it could be anything so im screwed
Old 03-31-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by David89Max

they just say someting is wrong with the front right suspension and i was like what is it and they were like we dont know it could be anything so im screwed
that makes no sense
they are taking your money.. go somewhere else to have it inspected.. if it fails they should tell you why so you can correct it.. suspension has alot of parts.. struts springs tires wheels anything.. alingement
Old 03-31-2003, 10:15 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

that makes no sense
they are taking your money.. go somewhere else to have it inspected.. if it fails they should tell you why so you can correct it.. suspension has alot of parts.. struts springs tires wheels anything.. alingement
you're killing me.
NJ inspections are "free" of charge done by state approved facilities. you can go pay for private shop to do it..but at that point the place will MOST LIKELY pass you.
drive up to a place..someone drive it in. runs a few test and their computer figures out if u pass or fail.

if they tell u you have a brake problem..they'll tell u which axle/wheel and you figure it out why it's not good. they don't even raise/lift your car.

again..check your facts man.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

you're killing me.
NJ inspections are "free" of charge done by state approved facilities. you can go pay for private shop to do it..but at that point the place will MOST LIKELY pass you.
drive up to a place..someone drive it in. runs a few test and their computer figures out if u pass or fail.

if they tell u you have a brake problem..they'll tell u which axle/wheel and you figure it out why it's not good. they don't even raise/lift your car.

again..check your facts man.

yeah i know its free man but all they are telling me is that something in my front right suspension is messed up and i even ask the guy he was like i dont know anyting about suspension he said you better have it checked out again. i already change the inner tie rod cause that was bad but that didnt correct the problem so im up **** creek with out a paddle
Old 04-01-2003, 01:19 PM

I am glad that Maryland doesn't require annual inspections, just emmissions.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Shadow1198

Don't forget pedal assemblies, hydraulic lines, transmission mounts and all the little gotcha stuff.

It gets more complicated if you're trying to put a manual in a GXE or GLE.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by shoult

Don't forget pedal assemblies, hydraulic lines, transmission mounts and all the little gotcha stuff.

It gets more complicated if you're trying to put a manual in a GXE or GLE.

there aren't any 3rd gen GLEs, only SE and GXE (in the US)