3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 PM

Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Right now I have about 130k on the car, original 5 sp. tranny. The clutch was replaced at ~30k miles because it was defective. Everything is working fine right now- no clutch slippage, shifting problems, etc. I am very easy on the clutch, and the original owner seemed to take very good care of it also. My question is, would it be a good idea to have the tranny rebuilt at some point, before I notice any problems? I have heard horror stories of trannies self destructing and needing expensive rebuilds- my hope was that if I rebuilt it early, less parts would need to be replaced. Im not looking forward to spending the money, but if it saved me some in the long run, I would consider it. Plus, it would give me an excuse to get a better clutch, and install my new flywheel

TIA
Old 03-31-2003, 09:13 PM

Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Originally posted by Tim93se5sp
Right now I have about 130k on the car, original 5 sp. tranny. The clutch was replaced at ~30k miles because it was defective. Everything is working fine right now- no clutch slippage, shifting problems, etc. I am very easy on the clutch, and the original owner seemed to take very good care of it also. My question is, would it be a good idea to have the tranny rebuilt at some point, before I notice any problems? I have heard horror stories of trannies self destructing and needing expensive rebuilds- my hope was that if I rebuilt it early, less parts would need to be replaced. Im not looking forward to spending the money, but if it saved me some in the long run, I would consider it. Plus, it would give me an excuse to get a better clutch, and install my new flywheel

TIA
your max is no good.. get rid of it.. expensive to rebuild.. sell you ve 5spd to me.. for 500 dollars..i just need the parts.lol... j/k..

i would like to get a nice ve 5spd.. is it worth the rebuild yes.. do you have the money and time.? belive me alot of people would like to get their hands on a ve 5spd such as yours.. fix the tranny .. or get a new one or get the tranny rebuilt by level10racing...
Old 03-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

your max is no good.. get rid of it.. expensive to rebuild.. sell you ve 5spd to me.. for 500 dollars..i just need the parts.lol... j/k..

i would like to get a nice ve 5spd.. is it worth the rebuild yes.. do you have the money and time.? belive me alot of people would like to get their hands on a ve 5spd such as yours.. fix the tranny .. or get a new one or get the tranny rebuilt by level10racing...
wtf!??! when did Level10 started doing manuals?
http://www.levelten.com/products.htm <-- find me the performance manual tranny.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:24 PM

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...000_nissan.htm rebuild kit for Nissan Cars 1985-up All FWD
Old 04-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that kit is only for autos notice it comes with clutch packs
Old 04-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...000_nissan.htm rebuild kit for Nissan Cars 1985-up All FWD

Originally posted by DanNY

wtf!??! when did Level10 started doing manuals?
http://www.levelten.com/products.htm <-- find me the performance manual tranny.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:39 PM

I am very happy with my car and glad I made the decision to buy it almost 4 years ago. Hence the question- are there benefits to rebuilding the tranny before something fails, assuming it will need it eventually? Just wondering if anyone else would care to share their expert opinion. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

I'm not too sure what the advantage would be. Unless you broke a part that's not normally replaced during a rebuild(ie.. main shaft itself or the case). I guess if the gears aren't too worn, they would only replace the synchros and main shaft and counter shaft bearings?

Either way, it would probably cost you a grand or so. If you're that worried, buy an used 5-sp, get it rebuild and have it around for when yours goes out(if it ever does)

I am very happy with my car and glad I made the decision to buy it almost 4 years ago. Hence the question- are there benefits to rebuilding the tranny before something fails, assuming it will need it eventually? Just wondering if anyone else would care to share their expert opinion. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I'm not too sure what the advantage would be. Unless you broke a part that's not normally replaced during a rebuild(ie.. main shaft itself or the case). I guess if the gears aren't too worn, they would only replace the synchros and main shaft and counter shaft bearings?

Either way, it would probably cost you a grand or so. If you're that worried, buy an used 5-sp, get it rebuild and have it around for when yours goes out(if it ever does)

I was thinking about jumping in on the group deal for the Exedy clutch since it was such a good deal. I also just purchased a Fidanza flywheel for pretty cheap. I was thinking that, since the tranny has 130k miles, would it be worth it to have it rebuilt while I had it down to install the other parts? I vaguely remember when Matt93SE had his tranny go, other parts were damaged, and I was trying to avaoid that.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

Did you actually get the flywheel yet? How was that transaction. Some idiot but a $500 bid in. WTF does that mean w/ a dutch style?

I was thinking about jumping in on the group deal for the Exedy clutch since it was such a good deal. I also just purchased a Fidanza flywheel for pretty cheap. I was thinking that, since the tranny has 130k miles, would it be worth it to have it rebuilt while I had it down to install the other parts? I vaguely remember when Matt93SE had his tranny go, other parts were damaged, and I was trying to avaoid that.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:16 PM

check your pm's
Old 04-01-2003, 06:02 PM

Right now I have about 130k on the car, original 5 sp. tranny. The clutch was replaced at ~30k miles because it was defective. Everything is working fine right now- no clutch slippage, shifting problems, etc. I am very easy on the clutch, and the original owner seemed to take very good care of it also. My question is, would it be a good idea to have the tranny rebuilt at some point, before I notice any problems? I have heard horror stories of trannies self destructing and needing expensive rebuilds- my hope was that if I rebuilt it early, less parts would need to be replaced. Im not looking forward to spending the money, but if it saved me some in the long run, I would consider it. Plus, it would give me an excuse to get a better clutch, and install my new flywheel:)

TIA
If you're easy on the clutch then your also easy on the transmission. Do you hear noises? Grinding? Balky shifting? Any problems? Then why spend the money.

If you want to get yours rebuilt then get it rebuilt right. Most places will only replace the bare minimum to make whatever problem you have go away and still charge you $1500. Since you have NO problems YET they might do no more then replace a couple synchro rings and call it good.

Look for a trans shop known for doing high performance work. You'll pay more, but you'll get a much better rebuild. Figure $2000

Or learn pull it, rebuild it and reinstall it yourself and spend the money you save on replacing MORE parts. That'd be $600-800 for a real good pile of parts

Or find a good used, low mileage unit for $500-800 and install it yourself.

If you aren't having problems then I'm not sure why you'd want to spend the time and money to do any of these though.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by shoult

If you're easy on the clutch then your also easy on the transmission. Do you hear noises? Grinding? Balky shifting? Any problems? Then why spend the money.

If you want to get yours rebuilt then get it rebuilt right. Most places will only replace the bare minimum to make whatever problem you have go away and still charge you $1500. Since you have NO problems YET they might do no more then replace a couple synchro rings and call it good.

Look for a trans shop known for doing high performance work. You'll pay more, but you'll get a much better rebuild. Figure $2000

Or learn pull it, rebuild it and reinstall it yourself and spend the money you save on replacing MORE parts. That'd be $600-800 for a real good pile of parts

Or find a good used, low mileage unit for $500-800 and install it yourself.

If you aren't having problems then I'm not sure why you'd want to spend the time and money to do any of these though.
Well, I'm not experienceing any major problems, although the shifter vibrates a little strangely in 4th gear and shifts a little hard when cold (even with fresh Redline fluid). My idea was that maybe if I got it rebuilt now, it may save me money down the road, as well as the trouble of pulling it twice.

I guess that these tranny's do last a long time though, and this one has had a pretty easy life as far as I can tell. I'm not too excited to spend the money any time in the near future either, so I guess I'll wait and hope for the best!

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Rebuild or not to rebuild?

I can't help but comment. I just replaced timing belt on 91 SE and it looked almost as good a new one. I certainly would not go against manufacturer recommendations but I can certainly give you my experience. I have shifting problems on a Datsun 81 310 and it is in the gear linkage not the transmission. What I am saying is, in my experience, the problems have turned out to be something simple where I tend to think in too big of terms. First is absolutely diagnosis problem.

I read on this forum of over 500,000 miles with no engine rebuild. In my case the problem is fear of unknown. Recently, I noticed oil leakage and immediately thought of engine overhaul. Then I tighten up the phillips head screws on top engine covers and it stopped. Currently I noticed some oil leakage from power steering pump, I thought, oil was everywhere so I couldn't really tell, now I am in the process of getting everything cleaned up so I can really tell.

You can over maintain or under maintain and who knows. Whatever makes you comfortable. It makes me comfortable not to spend and I have the time. I am retired.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

TIA
I would not recommend rebuilding for the sake of rebuilding, but rather perform the necessary lube changes before the schedule. I would also use really good lube, Royal Purple or Red Line, etc...
If your manual tranny goes out, there are several sites where you
could order a low mile used unit for less than a rebuild, then just replace the lube prior to install and your ready for another 100K.

Good luck !! J