3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

anyone tint their own windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 PM

anyone tint their own windows?

i tinted my pass. window today with 35% but it was hard as anything! its so tough not to let the adhesive stick to each other. i spent like 40 bucks on tint alone! but it looks like its professionaly done, but there are very little air pockets near the bottom, i have to buy more film to do the drivers side...sighs...
Old 04-04-2003, 02:09 PM

also does anyone know what the best cleaning solution to clean the tint....does just water by itself work or will it mess the tint quality up
Old 04-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

didn't you ask this same thing a month or two ago? awsm66 and others told you all kinds of things that would work great but you didn't want to have to leave your house to buy anything

also, check out www.google.com and you can find TONS of into out there that's not necessarily maxima specific but will still apply to our windows
Old 04-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Lil 8

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
didn't you ask this same thing a month or two ago? awsm66 and others told you all kinds of things that would work great but you didn't want to have to leave your house to buy anything

also, check out www.google.com and you can find TONS of into out there that's not necessarily maxima specific but will still apply to our windows
I tinted my rear window craig. Well, as far as the bubbles just use the tint spreader to slowly push the air pockets down the window. Be patient it will take a little time. In regards to cleaning the film just dont use any product that has a ammonia concentration to it. the ammonia reacts to the tint film bleaching it!!!! And most of all dont use paper towels or harse materials to clean the tint either just use a 100% terry cloth towel!! If you want thr best job just remove the window and tint it you will not have that 1/4 inch space like you may get from a professional job. Let me know if that helps!! What tint film are you using ?
Old 04-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxima2k2
also does anyone know what the best cleaning solution to clean the tint....does just water by itself work or will it mess the tint quality up
Go to a window tinting shop and buy professional film cleaner. It nourishes the film plus puts a protective silicon coating that minimizes tearing and wear.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Lil 8

Originally posted by karguy

Go to a window tinting shop and buy professional film cleaner. It nourishes the film plus puts a protective silicon coating that minimizes tearing and wear.
I have used clearview window cleaner, I haven't had any probs with it. Then I dont cleaner my tinted windows that much just the outsides of the windows and front window.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:17 PM

do they sell any of the film cleaner at pepboys or autozone? there are no tinting shops near me
Old 04-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxima2k2

do they sell any of the film cleaner at pepboys or autozone? there are no tinting shops near me
Is there a shop that tints home or business windows near you? That is where I bought mine. My tinted windows were 10 years old when I sold the car and still looked good. I had 3M 3 mil thick tear resistant film installed in Ft. Lauderdale for $120 a long time ago.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:04 AM
Lil 8

Is there a shop that tints home or business windows near you? That is where I bought mine. My tinted windows were 10 years old when I sold the car and still looked good. I had 3M 3 mil thick tear resistant film installed in Ft. Lauderdale for $120 a long time ago.
Very good price!!! Yea 3m is a good product pretty much all of their stuff is good!!!
Old 04-05-2003, 08:32 AM

i got 22%, had it done proffesionally at probably one of the best shops in my area. lil over $100 i think. no bubbles, crinklig of any sort
Old 04-05-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by jkmay01

I tinted my rear window craig. Well, as far as the bubbles just use the tint spreader to slowly push the air pockets down the window. Be patient it will take a little time. In regards to cleaning the film just dont use any product that has a ammonia concentration to it. the ammonia reacts to the tint film bleaching it!!!! And most of all dont use paper towels or harse materials to clean the tint either just use a 100% terry cloth towel!! If you want thr best job just remove the window and tint it you will not have that 1/4 inch space like you may get from a professional job. Let me know if that helps!! What tint film are you using ?
wow you tinted the rear one all by yourself?
isn't that really hard because of the defrosting mechanism?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Lil 8

Originally posted by Aphrodisiac

wow you tinted the rear one all by yourself?
isn't that really hard because of the defrosting mechanism?
I should have said the side rear windows not the rear back window. But even so yes it takes some practice but you will need to use two seperate film sheets and just layer them very close to prevent that overlay look