3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone whos dropped their car

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 04:43 PM

Anyone whos dropped their car

I have Tok's and Sprint Springs. I was wondering where to go for install. can i just have like a tires plus do it or should i look for something different? and do i need anything else besides the springs and shocks for install. ive heard of camber kits but i dont know if i need them and if i do i dont know where to get them. thanks for your help on this one, im kinda lost.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Anyone whos dropped their car

Originally posted by J93MaximSE
I have Tok's and Sprint Springs. I was wondering where to go for install. can i just have like a tires plus do it or should i look for something different? and do i need anything else besides the springs and shocks for install. ive heard of camber kits but i dont know if i need them and if i do i dont know where to get them. thanks for your help on this one, im kinda lost.
i don't think that you need the camber kit. i think it depends on how low is your drop. i got kybs and st springs with a 1.5 drop. didn't need the kit but needed new strut mounts. you might have to get the strut mounts. now as to where to get them you can get them at nopi racing i think stillen might have them. look around you might have them
Old 04-07-2003, 05:30 PM

At least get an alignment if you like your tires
Old 04-07-2003, 06:10 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

You'll need camber correction whether it seems it or not. All we have available is camber bolts..they run about 20 bucks and you can install them yourself.

They wont totally fix the camber but get it to where it wont be a problem.

I've been running on Intrax for almost 3 yrs now and am just now correcting my camber but its long been overdue. You'll get crazy wear on the inside of your tires and blow money quick replacing them (especially if you're running low pro tires like me). Spend 20 bucks on bolts and 75 bucks on alignment now, or spend hundreds of dollars a year for new front tires.

Any basic auto shop should be able to do the install (although expect to pay a few hundred bucks). If you've got the extra money it's wise to just go ahead and get new bumpstops and dust boots too.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

yup yup...i'm gonna get the camber bolts on before i throw the 18's back on
Old 04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by Chris91SE
yup yup...i'm gonna get the camber bolts on before i throw the 18's back on
I put em on the other day (granted car is on jackstands half apart)..

They look like they'll get my front in good shape...brought it out way more than I thought they would. And they're really really simple too.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 PM

definitely do them yourself....you'll feel like you actually accomplished something. paying someone to do it is really expensive..i was quoted around 300 to install springs...but if you want a sore butt go for it.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:42 PM

thanks for all your help. so where can i get some camber bolts then?? and i would like to do it my self, yes, but dont you need a sprin compressor to do it?? i dont have one lyin around so i got some bucks so the shop can do it. unless there is an alternative. thanks again
Old 04-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

thanks for all your help. so where can i get some camber bolts then?? and i would like to do it my self, yes, but dont you need a sprin compressor to do it?? i dont have one lyin around so i got some bucks so the shop can do it. unless there is an alternative. thanks again
you can get a spring comp. from autozone in their loan a tool program. If you have the money and are not comfortable doing it yourself then by all means let the shop do it.

good luck and you can get the camber bolts form tire rack and some other places.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Anyone whos dropped their car

I was one of the first to get Sprint springs and from my personal experience a camber kit may not be necessary. I have had it aligned time after time and camber has never been an issue.

Not to mention my car has never had an uneven wear that was camber related on both my stock and Dunlop Sport SP9000 tires.

In most cases I would recomend a camber kit, I chose not to invest in one because my car has not needed one.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:00 PM

I just bought Tokico's with Eibach Springs and am considering a camber kit do you think that I am going to need one. I was looking on shox.com and the front camber kit is 50 and the rear is 200. Do you think that this is worth it. I haven't put my rims on yet but they are 18x8 and the tires that I am considering are 235/40/18. Do you think that I will have a problem. Also if I do get the camber kit is it a do it yourself job. Do you just put the bolts on or is there additional adjusting. Thanks
a
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

dont spend 200 on the rear camber adjustment. you can go to the junk yard and get the adjustable link and replace the solid link with the adjustable one. Then both of the links are adjustable so you can adjust the camber.

I did this along with several other members on here.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 PM

what is the name of the part that I need to get from the junk yard. Is it off a stock car or is it a camber kit that someone put on there car. Also for the front is that a do it yourself job or is there adjusting. Thanks for the info awsm66.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by awsm66
dont spend 200 on the rear camber adjustment. you can go to the junk yard and get the adjustable link and replace the solid link with the adjustable one. Then both of the links are adjustable so you can adjust the camber.

I did this along with several other members on here.
That's what I'm gonna do. Parts cars rule
Old 06-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by maxeema
what is the name of the part that I need to get from the junk yard. Is it off a stock car or is it a camber kit that someone put on there car. Also for the front is that a do it yourself job or is there adjusting. Thanks for the info awsm66.

Before you go through all this trouble you might want to go ahead and put the springs in and try to get it aligned. I dont think many with the Eibach have needed to adjust the camber enough to need the bolts up front and especially not the kit in the rear...

Ok here is the deal. If you look under your car you will see that you have 4 parallel links (2 on each side) that run from the hub to the suspension member. If you notice the front parallel link is solid and the rear parallel link is adjustable (for toe-in adjustment). Go to a junk yard and ask for the adjustable rear parallel links (should be less than $25 or so) and then replace your solid front parallel link with that adjustable one so now you have an adjustable link in the front and rear which will allow camber adjustment. To do this you have to drop the suspension member which isnt too bad but has to be done to get the long bolt out. If you did this I would go ahead and order all the bushings and replace them while you got the suspension down. They arent too expensive and are worth having done because yours have got to be at least a little worn.

as far as the front goes its just a bolt that replaces the top bolt of the front strut (top bolt of the ones on the bottom of the strut that is) so yeah its a do it yourself kind of thing.