3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 07:28 PM

Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Yes, thanks for takin my last post about this down much appreciated I went through up to 15 pages back (before I posted the first one)looking for relavent topics but alas I found nothing to answer the question I asked... Can the turbo 300's set up for the ve be swapped to the ve maxima with only minor fab work and if so can anyone point me to or post some helpful info on the swap. thamks
Old 04-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Originally posted by Luv4DSC
Can the turbo 300's set up for the ve be swapped to the ve maxima with only minor fab work and if so can anyone point me to or post some helpful info on the swap. thamks
simple answer no...do a custom setup. VG30ET manifold ports(round) DON'T match the VE head ports(oval)...thus no worko! there is no such thing as "minor" fab work when turboing these cars
Old 04-08-2003, 06:58 AM

Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Yes, thanks for takin my last post about this down much appreciated I went through up to 15 pages back (before I posted the first one)looking for relavent topics but alas I found nothing to answer the question I asked... Can the turbo 300's set up for the ve be swapped to the ve maxima with only minor fab work and if so can anyone point me to or post some helpful info on the swap. thamks
Your post doesn't even make sense. I read it three times and I still can't make sense of it!??!? lol

I imagine whatever question your asking is easily answered with a resounding "NO", seeing as you can't even type it out right. Why try swapping engines when you don't even know what engines you're talking about in the first place? Did you read about engine swaps in Import Tuner or something???
Old 04-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Originally posted by DA-MAX

simple answer no...do a custom setup. VG30ET manifold ports(round) DON'T match the VE head ports(oval)...thus no worko! there is no such thing as "minor" fab work when turboing these cars
thanks for the help, my next question would be what about the entire engine, would that swap into the max? or are the bell housing bolt pattern differant?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

thanks for the help, my next question would be what about the entire engine, would that swap into the max? or are the bell housing bolt pattern differant?
Yeah, it would swap. But then you will have an issue with the front motor mount. Try taking a look at the two engines together and take a closer look at your engine bay. That will probably answer a number of your questions...
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Originally posted by nismo1989

Yeah, it would swap. But then you will have an issue with the front motor mount.
motor mount issue?? for the VG to VG30ET swap?? or for putting it into the VE?? there were no mount issues for mounting it in the VG that I knew of other then in the 2nd gen swap. ...now both of you are getting me confused

if you have a VE...DO A CUSTOM VE TURBO setup much easier than swapping in an VG30ET!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Naw, go for the swap.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

motor mount issue?? for the VG to VG30ET swap?? or for putting it into the VE?? there were no mount issues for mounting it in the VG that I knew of other then in the 2nd gen swap. ...now both of you are getting me confused

if you have a VE...DO A CUSTOM VE TURBO setup much easier than swapping in an VG30ET!!!!
We had to bend a new pipe because the motor mount got in the way. I know that Jahlil didn't have that issue... I shouldn't of even mentioned it!!! lol Now I'm confusing everyone!! We did ours a little differently from the get-go and made it a little harder from the start because we used a larger than stock turbo in replace of the T3.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

We had to bend a new pipe because the motor mount got in the way. I know that Jahlil didn't have that issue... I shouldn't of even mentioned it!!! lol Now I'm confusing everyone!! We did ours a little differently from the get-go and made it a little harder from the start because we used a larger than stock turbo in replace of the T3.
larger turbo won't make a difference! are you using a JDM motor??
Old 04-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

larger turbo won't make a difference! are you using a JDM motor??
yeah

and the larger turbo did make a clearance issue
Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

yeah

and the larger turbo did make a clearance issue
Jahlil is usung a T3/T4, no clearance issues at all near the mount...thats interesting though, maybe there are some mounting differences on the JDM motor , I can't see turbo size as being a clearance issue unless the compressor is seriously HUGE.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Jahlil is usung a T3/T4, no clearance issues at all near the mount...thats interesting though, maybe there are some mounting differences on the JDM motor , I can't see turbo size as being a clearance issue unless the compressor is seriously HUGE.
No, it is because of where the turbo is mounted on the JDM engine.

Jahlil's turbo is actually bigger, at least it looks it, but it's mounted at a different angle in a slightly different place I believe. On the JDM engine, it's in the front where the stock motor mount meets...
I forgot that was only an issue on the JDM engine when I originally posted so unless you're using a JDM engine (whoever is reading this later) this whole thread is useless... lol

BTW: we did end up getting the wiring diagram from the FSM and now all we have to do is wait on the oil lines to be made and it's good to go. No intercooler yet, though...
Mark wants to do a top-mount intercooler like on the WRXs. I don't know how we could pull that one off, but I know they do come pretty small in the top-mount application. ??? I don't know a whole lot about intercoolers, though. What do you think?
Old 04-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have a friend who has a wrx and the 1st thing he did was get rid or the top mount ic and put in a front mount beacuase the top mount is over the engine and its gets hot and is not as efficient as a front mount
Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

so did yall wire it all up??

top mount IC...I dunno, sounds like more work and struggling for no point to me, plus I think the FMIC would be more efficient since it will have a larger surface area and in direct flow of the air and also away from the hot motor.

as for the engine to turbo oil lines, what exactly was the size of the in-block fitting and where did you buy the flare nut fitting for the turbo(or does yours use a flare)...this has had me confused for the longest. the oil line setup has me and Jahlil confused...we have the SS line, but just can't get the fitting sizes straight, this has had us kinda stumped
Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by subs1000w
i have a friend who has a wrx and the 1st thing he did was get rid or the top mount ic and put in a front mount beacuase the top mount is over the engine and its gets hot and is not as efficient as a front mount
I think the only reason he's even considering a top mount is because he doesn't want me cutting into his bumper, and we would have to cut the hell out of it...
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

so did yall wire it all up??

top mount IC...I dunno, sounds like more work and struggling for no point to me, plus I think the FMIC would be more efficient since it will have a larger surface area and in direct flow of the air and also away from the hot motor.

as for the engine to turbo oil lines, what exactly was the size of the in-block fitting and where did you buy the flare nut fitting for the turbo(or does yours use a flare)...this has had me confused for the longest. the oil line setup has me and Jahlil confused...we have the SS line, but just can't get the fitting sizes straight, this has had us kinda stumped
Actually, a guy named John from J&H Racing is taking care of the oil line for the turbo, a new motor mount in the front (to take care of the problem we're having with fitment), and a new housing for the O2 sensor. We're going to be taking all kinds of digi pics, and I'll be happy to get details from John about how he's solving the oil line problem too. Mark went ahead and got the SS lines and I was going to go to Earl's on Gasoline Alley (those who are racing nuts know where I'm speaking of), but J&H stepped up to help and have already done great with taking care of the fuel pressure problems since there isn't enough money for the JWT ECU yet. We may not even need the JWT ECU...

When everything is in and Mark sets up the gallery for all the pics, I'll send you the link and you can check it out with Jahlil. I'll also tell Mark to send you whatever info we can get from John about the line fitment. I was stumped too. We both looked, actually, at every shop and in every catalog we could find but couldn't find anything to fit the new turbo and rebuilding the stock one wasn't an option on the limited budget. It's too much of a PITA to rebuild the turbo, especially when we have a larger and more efficient (at least I think, lol) compressor to work with.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

Well I found a turbo 89 300z with 80k and I can get the turbo set up off it all inclusive for $300 and the whole engine and everything for $500. So I was wondering if it would go in cuz 500 is much cheaper than a custom set up.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:36 PM

Well I found a turbo 89 300z with 80k and I can get the turbo set up off it all inclusive for $300 and the whole engine and everything for $500. So I was wondering if it would go in cuz 500 is much cheaper than a custom set up.

89 won't fit anyway...
Old 04-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

why whont the 89 motor fit in the 3rd gen?? 89 was still the VG30ET...

and dude trust me...if you think swapping in the VG30ET is easier and saving trouble and that this project will only cost you $500, you are sadly mistaken!!! I'm not trying to be an ***, but I've ACTUALLY seen this done and helped make one of these swaps work...JUST TURBO THE VE and flush your VG30ET into a VE idea down the drain!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

why whont the 89 motor fit in the 3rd gen?? 89 was still the VG30ET...

and dude trust me...if you think swapping in the VG30ET is easier and saving trouble and that this project will only cost you $500, you are sadly mistaken!!! I'm not trying to be an ***, but I've ACTUALLY seen this done and helped make one of these swaps work...JUST TURBO THE VE and flush your VG30ET into a VE idea down the drain!!!!!!
well yes I understand that it will cost much more than 500 but would still be much less than a kit. I was merly wondering how hard/easy the project was and if it could be done with some ease..meaning not having to fab all new mounts, ALL new tubing, and combining wireharnesses, welding a new manifolds, etc.. Thanks for all the info on the topic and leting the post run instead of taking it down again.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y take down with no search? swap 300 turbo

you'll need a whole new ECU, new wiring harness than re-wire everything, you'll have to figure out if the mounts are swapable, you'll have to do some re-location of accessories...once thats done you have to have pipes made, and than figure out all of the small things...and most likely since you are using a used motor the turbo will have to be rebuilt or replced. In the end you spend more than you would if you just turbo the VE block. if you turbo'd the VE all you'd need is pipes, fuel control and some other small things here and there...swapping in the VGT is more work for NO POINT.

and NO, the VGT swap will NOT cost LESS than a kit(even if they made one for the 3rd gen)...hahaha, if only you had an idea!! even swapping in the VGT into a VG Maxima is expensive. I seriously advise you do more homework on this.

well yes I understand that it will cost much more than 500 but would still be much less than a kit. I was merly wondering how hard/easy the project was and if it could be done with some ease..meaning not having to fab all new mounts, ALL new tubing, and combining wireharnesses, welding a new manifolds, etc.. Thanks for all the info on the topic and leting the post run instead of taking it down again.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:31 PM

even swapping in the VGT into a VG Maxima is expensive. I seriously advise you do more homework on this.

where i was contemplating for a while.. but i think in the end , dealing with all the problems woud just be too much of a pain in the ***, and in the end i still have an auto haha.. so i scrapped that idea and just bought another VG.. bleh..
Old 04-08-2003, 05:54 PM

and NO, the VGT swap will NOT cost LESS than a kit(even if they made one for the 3rd gen)...hahaha, if only you had an idea!! even swapping in the VGT into a VG Maxima is expensive. I seriously advise you do more homework on this.

well this was my homework asking all the enthusiats, because I couldn't find much on the way of search (google,etc) on the matter. So thanks for the info