3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rocker cover gasket - oil oozing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 04:41 PM

rocker cover gasket - oil oozing

I was having clattering sound few months ago. I thought it is the problem with lifter. So I had opened LH rocker cover just to check.
This is one cover on which you see NISSAN emblem.

Then I didn't see any symptoms of oil sludge. I was relieved seeing that. So I put everything back...

Now I am seeing Engine oil on edges of rocker cover... It is not a leak but I would say oozing out.. sligtly. I can clearly make it out near Crankshaft position sensor.. That area is little dirty..

May be I should have replaced rocker cover gasket....
Now I am looking at FSM it talks about rocket cover gasket and also LIQUID gasket

Did any of you replaced rocker cover gasket? Could you please tell me what I need to do to stop this oozing of oil.. Do I have to apply that liquid gasket..?

It wasn't easy to remove those wires and fixtures on the rocker cover... any tips on that..? I had other things coming on way of removing this cover too

Would this oozing cause any big trouble if I don't fix it now it self..?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: rocker cover gasket - oil oozing

Originally posted by maximalover
I was having clattering sound few months ago. I thought it is the problem with lifter. So I had opened LH rocker cover just to check.
This is one cover on which you see NISSAN emblem.

Then I didn't see any symptoms of oil sludge. I was relieved seeing that. So I put everything back...

Now I am seeing Engine oil on edges of rocker cover... It is not a leak but I would say oozing out.. sligtly. I can clearly make it out near Crankshaft position sensor.. That area is little dirty..

May be I should have replaced rocker cover gasket....
Now I am looking at FSM it talks about rocket cover gasket and also LIQUID gasket

Did any of you replaced rocker cover gasket? Could you please tell me what I need to do to stop this oozing of oil.. Do I have to apply that liquid gasket..?

It wasn't easy to remove those wires and fixtures on the rocker cover... any tips on that..? I had other things coming on way of removing this cover too

Would this oozing cause any big trouble if I don't fix it now it self..?
clacking on a VE is the VTC assm. most of the time. Go to Craigs site for a how to on grounding it.

as far as the leak goes...check to make sure the screws are tight and if they are take the cover back off and check to make sure the gasket is on there right...if it is mis aligned it can leak some.

oh almost forgot craigs page
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html
Old 04-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

The FSM calls for a liquid gasket but a conventional rubber gasket is used. It does call for a touch of silicone/liquid gasket at certain areas on the rubber valve cover gastek. Around the cam angle sensor being one of those places. When I had had my heads off I did go back on with new rubber valve cover gaskets, with silicone in areas recommended by the FSM. Would the "oozing" cause any big problem, since it appears very slight I wouldn't think so.