3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can someone verify this please??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:10 PM

Can someone verify this please??

Hi all...

I have had this exhaust leak around the header (y) pipe area but havent been able to see no cracks or any leaks from the engine bay or underneath...

so today i went to three different garages and asked them to raise the car and tell me where the leak was....

first said it was a broken rear exhaust manifold stud...
second said i needed a new y pipe....
third said i needed a new gasket for the joint where the Y pipe meets the rear exhaust manifold...

i think the third one may be right cuz i have checked twice and the studs are all fine....but can someone tell me if there really is a gasket at that joint i mentioned above???

I am sick of how these auto shops try to rip you off...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Re: Can someone verify this please??

Take it to a proper muffler shop and they'll be able to disgnose it better. For tricky leaks they usually use a stethoscope to pin point exactly where the leak is.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Can someone verify this please??

Originally posted by drstillpatient
Hi all...

I have had this exhaust leak around the header (y) pipe area but havent been able to see no cracks or any leaks from the engine bay or underneath...

so today i went to three different garages and asked them to raise the car and tell me where the leak was....

first said it was a broken rear exhaust manifold stud...
second said i needed a new y pipe....
third said i needed a new gasket for the joint where the Y pipe meets the rear exhaust manifold...

i think the third one may be right cuz i have checked twice and the studs are all fine....but can someone tell me if there really is a gasket at that joint i mentioned above???

I am sick of how these auto shops try to rip you off...
there is a metal (brass or al. maybe) o ring where the y meets the manifold. I dont see that going out.

with the history of the 3rd gen I would say number 1 was right.

I had a bad exhaust leak on my 90 when I first got it (way before I got on maxima.org or any other forum) and I replaced the studs (only the broken ones-2 rear), all gaskets (the 2 o rings and manifold) and finally had to get under the car and pinpoint that there was a leak in my flex section...I replaced that and havent had a leak since.