3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Why car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:48 AM
jls
Newbie - Just Registered

Why car stalls

I have a 94 maxima and it stalls intermittely. I have brought to 3 shops to have it looked at and they find nothing wrong. I even brought to nissan service and nothing. The all tried a road test and can't find the problem.

Here is what happens:

I drive about 8-10 each way to work some of it highway driving. When I am at my desired speed and stop pushing down on the gas pedal and coasting it stalls so i pop it in neutral starts right up and continue driving. Or ill come to a light, stop foward movement and car stalls, or i will go when light changes and it flutters a sec and then dies. This does not happen all the time.

I have no clue. The electrical been replaced, trans fluid clear as day no issues with trans filter. Computer chip fine, no vacuam leaks anywehere in car.

Nissan service did diagnostics no problems and they are clueless.

Any help appreciated.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2003, 12:10 PM

Re: Why car stalls

Start the car, let it get nice and warmed up...check your egr valve, push it up and see if the car stalls, if it makes no difference you probably found the problem.

Either that or it could be a bad muffler bearing.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:17 PM

Re: Re: Why car stalls

Listen take one day and look at every hose in your engine compartment because I had exactly the same problem all it was, was a little hose that popped off and it was behind the block. Afterwards I went though every hose cut about an inch off and put the new stem on this way they wont slipp off.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:24 AM
jls
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Why car stalls

Originally posted by maximumpowa21
Listen take one day and look at every hose in your engine compartment because I had exactly the same problem all it was, was a little hose that popped off and it was behind the block. Afterwards I went though every hose cut about an inch off and put the new stem on this way they wont slipp off.

Ok i brought it to the nissan dealer and they told me for 79.95 they would do a diagnostics, I said ok. They checked the following:

Performed Fuel pressure test --- within spec.

Car died 3 times with fuel pressure gauge and pressure didnt drop.

Timing is within spec.

Idle speed was slightly low at 675 --- adjusted to 750 and let it run.

Performed CO% test. -- It was withing spec .2% - 8% reading was .68%

Performed Checkered box test --- No DTC's

Live and real time test --- didnt show any DTC's

Inspected Disk cap. ok

Inspected and cleaned ground wire (no change)

Performed wiggle test --- UTD

-------------------------------
Now the dealerships says for 243.00 dollars we can do an extensive test by checking the wiring harnass and tells me the following MIGHT be the problem.

That the AIR FLOW METER maybe the issue. This part they said would need to be put in first to determine problem. But they said it cannot be taken out once put in, which means I have to pay for this part and it might not even solve the issue. The Air Flow Meter I am told cost 500 dollars.

I am beginning to see a major problem with this dealer scamming me or am I just jumping the gun here and the dealer is on the up and up.

Signed,

Frustrated and concerned.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 AM

I would find a friend with a Max that doesn't have problems and swap him MAFS. And see if he experiences the same problems that you did. Will save a lot of loot.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:41 AM

Also, I have a 94 SE and I have been able to figure out my stalling a hesitating problem either. But I have heard a lot about checking your ingnition coils, seems to have fixed the problem in a lot of other cars.