3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

security lock-out help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

security lock-out help!!

94 maxima. WET day. Never happened before. Came out of office, keyless entry key-pads non-functional (no beeps, lights - dead). Checked lights - were off (i.e. battery should be OK). Keys don't work in the locks (I've used the keyless entry for years). Got tow-guy to jimmy lock - security alarm activates. The only way I can inactivate it is to unhook the battery. All fuses A-OK. The car won't start when security alarm is engaged, and I can't disengage it (no fuse I can find either!!!!!!!) My car is stuck at the office - 50 miles from my house (only car), and the nearest Nissan dealer is 120 miles away!!!!!!! (I don't have AAA)

Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah, we're really poor.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:29 PM

I dont know what happened to your car.

Did you say that the keys, your physical keys, the one with the teeth and the nissan sign didn't work in the lock? Thats f***ed (I remember unhooking my battery and being able to unlock my car door with my key 91max)

Is the passenger side not working too?(keypad)

Why can't you drive the car after you opened the car?
if its the steering wheel being stuck you have to turn the wheel while you turn the key.

Anyway you can also try (to disengage the security) to unhook the battery for 24hrs so that *maybe* everything will reset.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:47 AM

Re: security lock-out help!!

Originally posted by dr t
94 maxima. WET day. Never happened before. Came out of office, keyless entry key-pads non-functional (no beeps, lights - dead). Checked lights - were off (i.e. battery should be OK). Keys don't work in the locks (I've used the keyless entry for years). Got tow-guy to jimmy lock - security alarm activates. The only way I can inactivate it is to unhook the battery. All fuses A-OK. The car won't start when security alarm is engaged, and I can't disengage it (no fuse I can find either!!!!!!!) My car is stuck at the office - 50 miles from my house (only car), and the nearest Nissan dealer is 120 miles away!!!!!!! (I don't have AAA)

Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah, we're really poor.

The way to disengage the alarm......is the put the key in the driver's side door and unlock the door.......while the battery is connected.

Since you have been using the keyless entry for all these years, your locks probably need some graphite lubricant.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, my car did the same thing. I screwed with it for a while and then just gave up. I checked it a week later and it was working again. I agree with disconnecting the battery for a while. At least an hour. Your other option is to get a replacement lock and install it. Then you can disable the alarm with your new key. You might even be able to jump the wires to the lock to trick it, but I don't know exactly how it works. I think it uses a dipole magnet type of switch.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My friend had this problem with his Camry and some other people I know had it with their cars, too. One thing that DID work, at least with the various cars that I was in, was to turn on the hazard lights. Something to do with resetting something or other. I'm not sure how it works, but it does. You can try turning them on, then turning the key, or turning them on and off, then turning the key, or some sequence like that. I can't guarantee it will work, but it did for other cars, so it's probably worth a shot.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

my suggestion...
DO NOTHING...that's right don't touch it.

wait until you have a dry day. then work the keypad again. once you get it open..drive it to a locksmith..have them fix the lock or cut u a key..whichever u need.
step 2 is call courtesy nissan and order a key pad for that door. replace that and you should be good to go from there.

the more u mess with it now the worst it'll get. if you can't wait then get a hair dryer and try and dry it up more.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, thats fine, but what part of the system is bad? If its the keypad, will one keypad screw up the other's operation? If so, then most likely it is the driver side keypad that is broken. You don't think the controller would be bad? If one keypad can screw up the other keypad, it makes good sense that the keypad is bad. Will the bad keypad effect the ability to disable the security sustem with the door key?

Thanks,
Jason