3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mileage improvement tips requested?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:34 PM

Mileage improvement tips requested?

Okay, what chould I do that isn't too expensive, to help improve my mileage, I am getting like 250 - 260 miles to a tank.

Spark plugs what kind? Also what would be the identification number, cause I don't have an owners manual, and have a hard time finding this type information.

What about an air intake filter, like the ones sold on e-bay? What kind would I need and what other items and would there be a gas/mileage improvement from there?

Anyone got any other suggestions?
Old 05-11-2003, 12:28 AM

well first off. Make certain that you do a complete tune up. Air filter sparks rotor disributer cap, wires, oil change, fuel filter, tire pressure tires rotated. alignment, that is the starters. Another thing is drivng style if your always revving high then you use alot of gas, if you brake then speed then brake, your not being efficante(sp?) try to roll and cruise. mainttain low rpm's. when on highway set cruise control. the more your at 2k rpms the btter . for example when i go on the high way i cruis anywhere from 2k -2500 rpms. whichis about 55mph to as much as 75+ constant speed. I always use premium fuel. and i get abut 400 highway and about 330 mixed. andi have 180k on my odometer.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:28 PM

Re: Mileage improvement tips requested?

Originally posted by Hush-em
Okay, what chould I do that isn't too expensive, to help improve my mileage, I am getting like 250 - 260 miles to a tank.

Spark plugs what kind? Also what would be the identification number, cause I don't have an owners manual, and have a hard time finding this type information.

What about an air intake filter, like the ones sold on e-bay? What kind would I need and what other items and would there be a gas/mileage improvement from there?

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Also replace the oxygen sensor, expect about 10-15% inc. in mpg
Old 05-12-2003, 04:54 PM

10-15% increase in mpg just from replacing the oxygen sensor??!!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:47 AM

A high-performance air filter generally won't give you any better gas mileage. Personally my mileage varies between 20 and 27mpg, cause with a VE 5spd you just have to romp on it sometimes!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

change flywheel to aluminum. the lighter mass will turn more easily and not drop the rpms between gear changes. acceleration will be easier on the car.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:37 PM

I was thinking,.....Should I drive in drive or overdrive and why? Also what about the Power/Nothing/Comfort switch,....and why?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Hush-em
I was thinking,.....Should I drive in drive or overdrive and why? Also what about the Power/Nothing/Comfort switch,....and why?
plus if you want to same some gas, don't be too throttle happy.

that power/comfort switch just changes the shifting point. in power mode, the tranny shift at a higer rpm then comfort. and yes it's ok to leave it in power.

just put it in D, drive easy, and listen to the other tips the other members said and you should be set.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

overdrive is for cruising long trips. it is a larger gear for more constant speeds, like with cruise control set, as the rpms are lower to save gas. on a manual, the 5th gear is pretty much overdrive. it is not a 'power' gear, per se. you shift up through all of the gears, gaining speed to reach a desired top-end speed, then you throw it into 5th to stay there with less effort from the engine to maintain whatever top you have gotten to. 5th or overdrive is a sluggish gear.

someone correct me if i am wrong on this, but i think on 6spd gearboxes, manual, they have distributed the powerband over 6 gears instead of only 5. this way, the driver can rev out the powerband at even smaller intervals down low, whilst optimizing the rpm's ability to take the car evermore faster, quicker, at smaller segments all the way to the high-end. 5 speed autos work under the same idea: the powerband is distributed in smaller increments. the effect is a fatter powerband. a "larger" power band.

also, the rev limits are generally higher these days. i drove a 5th gen SE 6spd last year and boy was that son of a b*tch quick. superior to my 3rd gen. one reason was that the car could rev higher sooner in any given gear because the gears are closer together and the tach went to redline at about 7.5thousand. the 3rd gen redlines at about 6thousand or less. i am guessing on this, but i will bet that they shortened the stroke on the new VQ's in order to achieve higher revs, too. and i bet the torque is fatter because they increased the displacement and intake volume and exhaust volume.

but that is getting off topic, albeit related. and, yes, to affirm fosgate fan, being throttle happy will burn your gas money very quickly. you will get miles to the tank and not miles to the gallon. like me.