3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cylinder head find.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:19 AM

Cylinder head find.

Well i finally removed both of my heads from my block, took the cams and rockers off and what do i find? at the rear of the head between the bearing saddle (if thats what its called) and the outside of the head there are holes worn in. its interesting because the way the cam is, the metal piece that fits there isnt even close to touching the part thats worn. i should have pics today so i'll post as soon as cardomain allows it. they dont seem to affect anything, i mean the oil just drains into the bottom of the head anyway but if it is alright, i'd like to know whats wearing these holes so i can stop it...metal shavings probably arent too great for the motor.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Cylinder head find.

Originally posted by MaDMaX024 outside of the head there are holes worn in. its interesting because the way the cam is, the metal piece that fits there isnt even close to touching the part thats worn. i should have pics today so i'll post as soon as cardomain allows it.
Ok, I'm lost.
There are holes worn in on the outside of the head, then you speak of the cam which is on top of the head. The cyl head is a device that's under extreme pressure when the engine is runing. If there's any "holes" that shouldn't be there you will definately know about it one way or the other. Why did you remove the heads?

EDIT: Nevermind I read the reason why you're removing the heads in another post
Old 05-11-2003, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Cylinder head find.

Originally posted by CandiMan

Ok, I'm lost.
There are holes worn in on the outside of the head, then you speak of the cam which is on top of the head. The cyl head is a device that's under extreme pressure when the engine is runing. If there's any "holes" that shouldn't be there you will definately know about it one way or the other. Why did you remove the heads?

EDIT: Nevermind I read the reason why you're removing the heads in another post
not the outside..let me try this again.
between where the big rubber piece of the valve cover gasket is (we're talking inside the head, under the cam) and the first bearing, there are holes worn in. they're definatly worn in and not supposed to be there, but i dont really see how it could negatively affect the running of the motor other than polluting the oil with metal shavings...even then, the piece on the cam that spins over that area doesnt come close to touching so i'm COMPLETELY baffled as to how it happened. still waiting for pics, sorry.