3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Guys I really need your opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Guys I really need your opinions.....

OK I have a 89 SE that is Burgandy Pearl. The car runs awesome but the body is in pretty crappy shape ie. rot spots on fenders,rocker panels and quarter panels. Also where I removed the spoiler that was coming off its got glue spots on the trunk because the guy tried glueing it down with some kind of yellow cement it shows up bad on the burgandy.

Anyways im a senior in high school and I will be graduating in month and i will be working full-time then. My plans are to keep the car and just hook it up get it painted and maybe a body kit put on.

Any suggestions for what I shall do to the body? Like should I get whole car repainted or what? Should I stay same color any ideas? WOuld it cost alot more to get the color changed?

Thanx for your opinions and help guys
Mike
Old 05-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Guys I really need your opinions.....

Originally posted by MaximaJohnny
OK I have a 89 SE that is Burgandy Pearl. The car runs awesome but the body is in pretty crappy shape ie. rot spots on fenders,rocker panels and quarter panels. Also where I removed the spoiler that was coming off its got glue spots on the trunk because the guy tried glueing it down with some kind of yellow cement it shows up bad on the burgandy.

Anyways im a senior in high school and I will be graduating in month and i will be working full-time then. My plans are to keep the car and just hook it up get it painted and maybe a body kit put on.

Any suggestions for what I shall do to the body? Like should I get whole car repainted or what? Should I stay same color any ideas? WOuld it cost alot more to get the color changed?

Thanx for your opinions and help guys
Mike
repainting the whole car to another color other than factory color will cost you a sh*tload of money to do. lots of work involved in painting it another color. see if you can get a body shop to repair the rusted out panals of the car or go to a junkyard to see if you can salvage any parts.

if you want to, repaint the whole car burgandy and give it several coats of clear coat and you're set. BUT if you have the cash to burn, then repainting the car to another color won't hurt you (financially that is)
Old 05-13-2003, 02:18 PM

Re: Guys I really need your opinions.....

well you want our opinions...therefore i have to say paint the car...black actually; this is my opinion because when i was a senior in high school i got my burgundy maxima painted black. anyway, yes it will be more to change colors. the job i got was $600 total, 200 for changing colors. now anyone will tell you that you gte what you pay for, and i agree with this, however it is one amazing job for only $600. it came out very well and people were asking if i got a new car..not new to me, but brand new...(also goes to show how modern our 10-15 year old cars our) it might not matter soon anyway cause hopefully i'm getting a 93 VE 5-spd black/black in the nest few days!!!!!...anyway...sorry this whole thing is so lond and pointless, but basically do what you want with your car and money. also, i would suggest checking out some work that some body shops around you have done to other cars. good luck man.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Guys I really need your opinions.....

oh yeah...

Originally posted by MaximaJohnny
Also where I removed the spoiler that was coming off its got glue spots on the trunk because the guy tried glueing it down with some kind of yellow cement it shows up bad on the burgandy.
who is "the guy" sounds like he should fix the trunk.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:35 PM

My car was white and I got it painted black back in January, best thing I've ever done to it. I paid 400 for the job at 1 day. I just got it painted no body work and I got the cheapest paint job out of the three options they offer. Anyway it looks amazing, I believe somebody on the board posted about their newly painted black car "need a mirror", exactly. Everytime I wash it it just looks great. Anyway enough rambling. The only work I had to do was my bumper which I tore a hole into when I had an incorrect notion of the distant between it and forklift pulling out the shop after I got my rack & pinion done. Bought a bumper(new) for 60 bucks, put it on, and got the car painted a week later.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:59 PM

Depends on the money you have. Burgandy is a nice color but black is cool if you can afford to change it, then do it. Might as well get a stillen kit if you're paying for paint already. Good luck with it but take this advice look around and you have to decide whats best for your car not what other people think. Your car is a reflection of you, do things that please you and that you think look good.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:06 PM

wow! thoes are some really low prices! and the cars look good too?!!?, hard to beleive

i would get the whole thing painted over.. if u can find someone to do it that cheep and do a great job...then u have a reason to wash/wax ur car once a week
Old 05-13-2003, 08:05 PM

Everyone thanks so much I really like my Burgandy Pearl especially when its just washed looks very nice so I'm gonna stay with that color. As for a shop lucky me both my uncles are on body guys so thats where ill be getting it done.
As far as the rot tho I gotta talk to them about that because im defintely going to have to do sumthing. I remember him mentionin just gettin new fenders itd be cheaper. The quarters are rotted on the bottoms too. WHere can I get these parts? Oh ya i was wonderign about the black strip that goes all the way around the bottom of the car thats the rocker panel right? Its rotted there where it meets the fender. Will this be covered if I get a body kit?

Thanx
Old 05-14-2003, 11:30 AM

What did you guys who totally changed the colors of your car (especially the white-to-black one) do about the engine bay??? I mean, to get the engine bay painted... surely you would have to pay more than $400?!?!!!?? How did you get it done for so cheap? It cost me way more than that... and I did the painting myself! The paint alone was almost a thousand bucks!

Did you guys pull your engine and roll it into the shop or what? Don't tell me they masked the engine off... or that they pulled the engine and painted and put the engine back in for $400!!! That's amazing. Please reply back...
Old 05-16-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989
What did you guys who totally changed the colors of your car (especially the white-to-black one) do about the engine bay??? I mean, to get the engine bay painted... surely you would have to pay more than $400?!?!!!?? How did you get it done for so cheap? It cost me way more than that... and I did the painting myself! The paint alone was almost a thousand bucks!

Did you guys pull your engine and roll it into the shop or what? Don't tell me they masked the engine off... or that they pulled the engine and painted and put the engine back in for $400!!! That's amazing. Please reply back...

?????
Old 05-16-2003, 02:08 PM

I didn't paint my engine bay, I'm not really into making under the hood look stylish and shiny. Just a simple exterior paint job at 1 day paint shop and it was 388.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989

?????
sorry, i definately should have cleared this up in the first place...and i tried to reply earlier today but it wouldn't let me...anyway, my engine bay is still burgundy also. no one sees it right? but all the doors and inside the trunk was painted.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:01 AM

My engine bay's white, but all the door jams and the trunk is painted.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:00 AM

cool, thanks for the replies. I've decided to paint my car black, but it is currently white and was wondering what everyone else is doing about the engine bay. I guess I'll pull the engine...