3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

LOSS Of POWER in Acceleration...HELLLPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:16 AM

LOSS Of POWER in Acceleration...HELLLPPP!!!

Ive lost power in acceleration. Im finding that if i give the car more gas, it's not picking up as fast as it should.

I know the Fuel Filter is fine, The Pumps fine, and I have a new air filter on. New plugs and I also have a new O2 sensor as well.

I was told that it could be the injectors. Can anyone give me some advise on how to work this out.

thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

could be lots of things. maybe the clutch is slipping. do you have chatter, ie, car shakes and hesitates in low rpm's? how many miles are on it? on injectors? just questions and food for thought for you. i mention the clutch because i have that problem right now. i have new parts on the way but funds disallow repairs presently. i'm patient, however. and limping the car around town.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:52 PM

Re: LOSS Of POWER in Acceleration...HELLLPPP!!!

i have the same problem but my Maxima is an Auto and it LAGS ALOT!!!!!

i have venom injectors and y-pipe, high flow cat, remus and a stock b-pipe........i'm goin' 2 change the knock sensor next week so i hope this will fix things up...if not then i'm goin' 2 go crazy..

hey Badman_Maxima

where in T dot O r u??? i'm in Parkdale and is that u with a black Maxima with a body kit near sherway??????

Torres
Old 05-15-2003, 08:49 AM

have you ever had the heads rebuilt? you may have a bad valve or something.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: LOSS Of POWER in Acceleration...HELLLPPP!!!

Originally posted by Torres
i have the same problem but my Maxima is an Auto and it LAGS ALOT!!!!!

i have venom injectors and y-pipe, high flow cat, remus and a stock b-pipe........i'm goin' 2 change the knock sensor next week so i hope this will fix things up...if not then i'm goin' 2 go crazy..

hey Badman_Maxima

where in T dot O r u??? i'm in Parkdale and is that u with a black Maxima with a body kit near sherway??????

Torres

Ok, I have an automatic too, and it's just driving me crazy to not know why there isn't any power when i accelerate. Ill try cleaning out the injectors to see if theres a difference.

You mentioned the knock sensor, hmmmm! I could't tell you if thats gone or not.
What about the vaccum system,

Torres im from Keel & Wilson Toronto..it's an Estoril Metallic Blau Max, with all Stillen cosmetics. Ill try to get a pic soon
Old 05-15-2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by bonzelite
have you ever had the heads rebuilt? you may have a bad valve or something.
well i do get a BAD tickin' sound from the engine when the car is warm or drive around.......as 4 the heads rebuilt...no i haven't......

and Badman_Maxima......try 2 find out about ur knock sensor and where its located on ur Max......mine is near the rear manifold...i think i'm right... and did u check outTorontoMaxima.com yet????

and we're havin' a meet on the 25th of May......come out and join the fun

Torres
Old 05-15-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Torres

well i do get a BAD tickin' sound from the engine when the car is warm or drive around.......as 4 the heads rebuilt...no i haven't......

Torres
sounds like your VTC's are holding you back buddy.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE

sounds like your VTC's are holding you back buddy.

first id tried 2 use the search but i can't use it now...it says i'm not allowed

and shot me 4 askin' this..but what is the VTC????

N/M.......i have an Autotragic/GXE-VG and not a 5spd
Old 05-16-2003, 12:09 AM

i think vtc is valve timing cams. there are cams in the heads. either SOHC or DOHC. these cams time and lift, regulate the opening and closing of all valves, as a symphony if you will. just like the main crank cam regulates the strokes of the pistons. as time goes on, these cams simply wear out. they may loosen, lose their shape, valves themselves become damaged through vibrations and overuse. valve springs break, valve shafts can begin to sit wrong in their slots, etc. they tire out and come apart and interfere with each other's timings. >>> time to rebuild heads all the way.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 PM

Pull the injector clips and then the harness for the injectors. Then use an ohm meter to check resistance across the injector. The resistane on the injectors should be between 10 and 14 ohms. IF you do not have a meter, with the car idling, pull the spark plug cap off each spark plug; replacing the cap after checking each cylinder. If the car does not change rpm when you pull the plug wire( all the way out of the cylinder hole) then that injector is not functioning properly. The best method is to use a meter. Also, check all your vacuum lines by number five cylinder.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Donating member? what the?!

I'm a 91SE so I don't know about the VEs, but do they have faulty exhaust studs too? If they do, then you know where I'm headed. Exhaust leak will cause a drastic loss in power too.

The other thing I was thinking about was if your throttle position sensor is still good. I've heard that these tps's can get corroded and the contact is not good between the points. The TPS controls how much fuel to feed your engine.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:16 AM

OK here's whats happening

ok well, a few days ago , i changed the battery because the old one was real shotty. Now, im getting pickup, but on and off...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, sometimes sluggish, sometimes fast.

Ive also noticed an exaust leak somewhere near the manifold area, not sure but that can most definitely be one of the problems.

I know my fuel pump is ok, i recently changed the filter, and the injectors have been cleaned. So, now im thinking what else could be the problem. I know the Tranny is fine as well. and i got a brand new O2 sensor.

Possibilities?
MAF Sensor.
Knock Sensor.
Vaccum system.

My question is how can i find out id these have gone bad.