3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just got done swapping airbagged steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just got done swapping airbagged steering wheels

and now evertime I shut off the car, I hear 3-5 chimes. I disconnected the battery so I don't know if it's the radio, security or something airbag related. The airbag lights comes on and then turns off as usual(when you first turn the key). WTF is the damned chiming!?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:29 AM

I took off my airbag for a few weeks and used a 300zx wheel in its place. I recently re-installed my airbag wheel, but I never experienced these chimes. I have done Craig's chime rewire (so it doesnt make noise when my key is in the ignition) so that may have something to do with it. My airbag warning light has been flashing since I first took the bag out (even when it went back in). I am assuming that it needs to be reset by the ecu, so maybe the chime is tied into that as well. Good luck

-Tim

PS: If you get a chance to remove the ribbon cable from the parts car, let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:54 AM

my hu does that everytime i turn off the car if the faceplate is still on it...that could be it
Old 05-16-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

I took a look at that ribbin cable. Part of the airbag mounting right? I was hesitate to remove that piece. It doesn't look like it's made to be messed with. If you know how to remove it, I'd sell you the whole assembly(the unit that supposed to line up with the arrow before installing the steering wheel) The ribbon connectors don't look like the are easily removable either

Originally posted by Tim93se5sp

-Tim

PS: If you get a chance to remove the ribbon cable from the parts car, let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I took a look at that ribbin cable. Part of the airbag mounting right? I was hesitate to remove that piece. It doesn't look like it's made to be messed with. If you know how to remove it, I'd sell you the whole assembly(the unit that supposed to line up with the arrow before installing the steering wheel) The ribbon connectors don't look like the are easily removable either

If you take off the steering column cover, you will see its held on by 4 screws, at the corners. Take those out and disconnect the wire harness that goes into the steering column and it will come right out. I need that whole assembly.

On another topic, you have 98 Cobra rims on your car now, correct? Do you have any vibrations at highway speeds? I have some on my 01 Cobras. I came across a post about hubcentric spacers, and I want to see if they cure the problem. Since the no one (that I know of) makes spacers that will go from 66.1 to 70.5mm I may have some made. The guy at the machine shop said he could do it for ~$75-100, and it would be almost as easy to make 8 (or 12 or 16) as it would be for 4. If youre interested let me know. Do you know any others that are currently running Mustang rims on Maximas that may be interested also?
Old 05-19-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Tim, I'll try to take it out maybe Wed and let you know. I DO get some vibs from my Mustang rims. I was running some 96 Mustangs and DIDN'T get vibs. I think my wheels might need to be balanced again. Or I need to take them off and CAREFULLY reposition the lug bolts. (ie.. center them perfectly) That might do it. I know of maybe 2-3 other guys running some type of mustang rims(other than yourself). 2 are 3-gens and one is a4th gen(but I've haven't seen him here for over a year).

I do believe you will have to get some custom made. I'd be interested. We can work out a trade. How long would it take to have some made?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 PM

Tim, I'll try to take it out maybe Wed and let you know. I DO get some vibs from my Mustang rims. I was running some 96 Mustangs and DIDN'T get vibs. I think my wheels might need to be balanced again. Or I need to take them off and CAREFULLY reposition the lug bolts. (ie.. center them perfectly) That might do it. I know of maybe 2-3 other guys running some type of mustang rims(other than yourself). 2 are 3-gens and one is a4th gen(but I've haven't seen him here for over a year).

I do believe you will have to get some custom made. I'd be interested. We can work out a trade. How long would it take to have some made?
I had a wheel bearing pressed in at a machine shop on Friday, and he said he could do the actual work in about an hour. I would need to go back and have him take some measurements of the hub and the wheel to make sure we get a good fit. I am not sure how long it would take him to get the bar stock (or pipe) but I assume not long since he has a regular supplier for that sort of stuff.

What type of material would you want these made out of? Aluminum would be the easiest to work with, but he did mention steel, so I think that is also an option.

I had my tires balanced 4 or 5 times when I first put them on, without getting rid of the vibration. I'm hoping that this will solve the problem. Can you let me know who else is running Mustang rims, so I can contact them about the spacers? Splitting the cost of these is the best way to go, I think.

Let me know when you pull that ribbon cable part- I took mine completely out when I broke it, so my turn signal doesnt automatically cancel now :-p. Oh, and any chance you still have the adjustable parallel links off your parts car? I emailed KlownPR about them, but figured Id ask you too.

Thanks, Tim
Old 05-19-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just use the cheapest steel.

I need the parallel links for the same reason you want them :P
Old 05-20-2003, 09:40 AM

any idea how to reset airbag on ECU, coz my airbag light is always flashing whenever the ignition key is on...

thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

engine/airbag ecus are different. It's flashing because something is WRONG. Don't reset it, get it fixed. Which means, take it to the dealer. Do it before you get into an accident and you have your steering wheel embedded in your chest vs the airbag working properly.

Originally posted by buzzhd
any idea how to reset airbag on ECU, coz my airbag light is always flashing whenever the ignition key is on...

thanks!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:13 PM

Jeff, do you have email addresses for those others who are running the Mustang rims? If I can get into contact with them I'll find out how many sets to have made up.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

1 guy rarely even posts and the other guy doesn't have those wheels anymore. I just sold a set of Mustangs but I believe they are going on another mustang. So for now, we are basicly it.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Tim, I pulled it and will bring it to work tomorrow. What price did we agree on? You have paypal?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:31 AM

OK, I will go back and have the guy take measurements. We never talked price, so shoot me an email (benjat2@rpi.edu). I do have paypal. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Do we have a write up for the air bag install? Mine's been sitting around for months, I really need to put it in.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just the airbag into a airbagged steering wheel? It's easy. Flip the two plastic end caps on each side of the wheel. That will expose the two tamper resistant torq bits. T50 size. BUT IT'S A SPECIAL TORQ. It has a hole in the middle of the bit. I found a set at a local autostore though. Sears/Homedepot did have it. The set was about $11 but worth it. Undo these bolts and the airbag section comes right out. But you will see some wires attached to the bag. One plug is to the cruise control. Easy. The other set is for the airbag itself. There is also one white wire that needs to be unscrewed from the top/center of the steering wheel. Easy. From there you flip up the opaque plastic piece that the wiring harness rides in and take out the airbag section. If you need to remove the whole wheel, it's easy. From here you just unscrew the big center nut and shake the wheel off.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just use the cheapest steel.

I need the parallel links for the same reason you want them :P
Hehe, thats why I'm keeping mine too
Old 05-23-2003, 08:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Psst Tim!

http://ashleypowers.com/Image%20Gall...akes/index.htm

Originally posted by Tim93se5sp
Jeff, do you have email addresses for those others who are running the Mustang rims? If I can get into contact with them I'll find out how many sets to have made up.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:33 PM

Psst Tim!

http://ashleypowers.com/Image%20Gall...akes/index.htm

Holy huge brakes... from a Mustang I'm guessing? Stock or aftermarket? Those C brackets would be easy enough to make, and I bet those Z calipers wouldnt have much problem fitting behind Cobra rims. Just extend the spacers a little to hold the rotor to the hub in addition to the wheel... Too bad I'm running stock 15s during the winter. You actually thinking about tackling this, Jeff? Now you got me thinking!
Old 05-23-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Tim, LOL! I just wanted you to look a the hubcentric rings he made for the Cobra rotors. Could work for the wheels too?? yeah I have the Z calipers already and the brackets don't seem hard to make. Just gotta get off my boootay and do something. hehe
Old 05-23-2003, 05:23 PM

Haha gotcha- Yeah its the same idea for the hubcentric rings. Theyre just going to be wider (about a cm, maybe?). I know the tolerances will have to be pretty tight to get rid of all the vibrations in the wheel.

If the Cobra rotors work on a Z, would they work on our cars too? I thought I remember something about them having too much offset. Any idea if this is true?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah I don't know how wide they would have to be. I run Cobra rims so I think there's a good chance they "should" work. Just depends if the bracket moves the Z caliper out too much from the "normal" position or not. But w/ my 98 Cobras, the spokes leave me alot of room for that.