3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Odd tranny problem, please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:07 AM

Odd tranny problem, please advise!

I have a '93 Maxima SE with an automatic. So I put the car in reverse on sunday and the gear selector movement seemed a little stiff coming from park. This happens from time to time and not just with this car but with every automatic I've owned so I didn't think much of it.
But here comes the odd part... now my gear selector seems loose in and around "D". I sometimes have to jiggle it to get it into drive. Once its in drive, no problems. The transmission shifts perfectly, no odd noises, nothing. I had a tranny go on me once in my old Acura so I know what that feels like, not pretty!
So I'm thinking and hoping that its just a simple adjustment. However any change in my car concerns me. Has anyone else had this happen? Will this cause me to part with many of my hard-earned dollars? Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it's a very common problem in the auto trannies for the shifter to be a little loose and have to tap it to get it in gear

It's caused by a worn or missing bushing that connects the shifter to the tranny linkage. It's only a couple dollars from the dealer and is pretty easy to replace once you remove the heat shield above the catalytic converter. I'm not sure the exact part name, but most dealers should know what you're talking about if you describe where it is. Or call Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com) and get a hold of Kaleb, he'll make sure you get the right part.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
it's a very common problem in the auto trannies for the shifter to be a little loose and have to tap it to get it in gear

It's caused by a worn or missing bushing that connects the shifter to the tranny linkage. It's only a couple dollars from the dealer and is pretty easy to replace once you remove the heat shield above the catalytic converter. I'm not sure the exact part name, but most dealers should know what you're talking about if you describe where it is. Or call Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com) and get a hold of Kaleb, he'll make sure you get the right part.
Thanks for your response Craig. I'm not too handy so I'd have a mechanic do the job for me. How much would the labor cost on average if I supplied the parts? And is this one of those things that will get worse over time or cause damage(can't imagine why it cause damage, but you never know!)? Anyway the condition right now is not bad, I just have to pay more attention than usual when I put the car into drive. Thanks again for continued help.