3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

About to buy a 92 SE: Initial Impressions & ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 01:35 PM

About to buy a 92 SE: Initial Impressions & ?s

Well I got fed up with my 85 Maxima, and decided to get a new car.
The max had horrible hesitation problems, rust holes in the trunk, needed a new y-pipe, struts, muffler, timing belt, leaking master cylinder, bad wheel bearing in back, tempermental sunroof, and I think my brakes were going again. The only thing I will miss is the kepad.

I found a grey 92 maxima SE auto with 117k on autotrader for 4000. It had everything but powerseats and an airbag.
Last thursday I went to look at it after doing some research here. I browsed through all 450+ pages of forum material.

My initial impression of the car was not very good, after putting the key in the iginition I couldn't pull it out. I felt stupid when the salesman told me about the button.
Body shape was good except for a few minor rust areas and the spoiler ends were rusted off. Time for some epoxy down the road

Interior was suprisingly good except for the steering wheel had a lot of wear on it. I will probably either get a new used one, or rewrap it.

I started it up, and low and behold there was some minor VTC ticking. Not annoying at all. I played stupid and asked the guy what that was. He either was dumb or a good lier. He said they all sound like that. Well all old ones doI checked the AC, heater, and accesories. Everything worked except the power locks which I will have to look into.

Other than the ticking and rust spots there were some other minor issues.

not suprising the clock didn't work
power locks didn't work
small exhaust leak where two pipes meet, I assume a bad gasket.
Missing a chrome tailpipe cover.
Power Ant didn't work
Bose setup may be blown.

I had them put it on a lift and checked the rest of the exhaust including the manifold bolts and they looked good to me. All of the PW worked too. The trans fluid looked brand new when I checked it which is good. He claimed he put a new used trans in the car

When I test drove it I was suprised how late it shifts, almost at redline. I liked it. I didn't hear any extraneous noises, and the transmission was shifting fine.

In finishing, I talked him down to 3600 which I was happy with and will probably pick it up tomorrow, but I have a few last questions.

1. Did they come with heated mirrors?, I didn't see the logo on the mirror.

2. I know alot about VTC's grounding why they go bad, etc. But what I want to know is are they ok to leave unfixed if they are not annoying you yet? I do plan on getting them fixed later in the year though.

3. Will there be a way to get the key out without pushing the button in all the time? It seemed to be missing a trim piece around the cylinder.

4. Will windex and a paper towel get the price mark off the windshield?

Thanks

David
Old 06-22-2003, 01:49 PM

seems like theres alot of stuff wrong with it for 3600. Just my opinion but see if you cant get them to fix some of the "small" things. Good luck with it!
Old 06-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Who?

hmmm i also think that $3600 is high, especially since it lacks serious convenience things like power locks.

vtc's are, as far as i can tell, ok if you don't do anything to them. but they will get noisier to the point that you'll have to do something about them to hold on to your dignity.

you'll always have to press the button to remove the key. just how it goes.

i use throttle body cleaner spray to remove sticker gunk (only on glass tho)

i have a 92 se and it has heated mirrors. it's an option.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah thats definitly high for all the stuff thats wrong i would say 3k would be good and see if he knows how many miles are on that used auto it could have 150k and be needing one of those 2k rebiulds shortly
Old 06-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Way out West

I would think there are a lot better Maximas out there for $3600. It sounds like this car needs quite a bit of stuff. Especially with the rust! That is the worst, because once it starts, it takes lots of money to cut it out (rear wheel wells) or replace trunk lids and spoilers. Not to mention painting. Once a car starts to rust in visible areas, you never know about underneath the thing.

It seems like you have a lot of electrical and exhaust work to do, too. I think you could probably do better, but with any car you buy, you are always taking risks.

You get used to using the button to remove the key. You can also use lighter fluid (the kind in the yellow bottle, ronsonol[sp]I think) to remove sticky stuff. It turns glue into a kind of gum. Works good for removing price tags from collectibles. TB cleaner or brake cleaner will probably do the trick on the glass, too. Keep it away from your paint, though.

Oh, there should be a clear plastic ring around the ignition key area that lights up green -- is that what's missing?

If I were you I might do a little more searching, but at least you'd be getting a Maxima!
Old 06-22-2003, 06:23 PM

I just bought a 92 SE for 3k. Like 3 days before I bought it the guy rebuilt the tranny and EVERYTHING works. So I suggest talking them down some more.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Last year I paid $4300 for a prefect car. No nothing wrong and the paint still shined like new. It had 59K. I would keep looking.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:52 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: About to buy a 92 SE: Initial Impressions & ?s

The rust and spoiler concern me. But as for door locks, that's a soldering problem. If you know how to solder, then it's VERY easy to fix it. I fixed mine 2 years ago in 25 minutes and they've worked ever since.

As for the VTCs, light ticking is fine. And 99% of the time, that ticking will continue to be fine for a long time. Over time, it will get louder until you can't stand it anymore. Then, you can ground them VERY easy and lose 12hp. Or you can repair them for $1000 at the dealer or replace them for $1800 at the dealer.

I have heated mirrors on my 92 SE. That's all I know.

My 92 SE Auto shifts at 6100 at wide open throttle. Redline is about 6600.

About that exhaust leak, MAKE ABSOLUTELY sure it's not exhaust manifold studs. Cause 90% of exhaust leaks come from either the flex portion of the stock Y-pipe or manifold studs. Ypipe can be fixed for $200 from Warpspeed Performance, but studs take a LOT of labor to fix.

As for the ignition key button, trust me, you'll get very use to it in a matter of minutes. Not a problem to worry about.

Power antenna is about $50 I believe. There's a nice write up on www.4dsc.com

Bose system, hmmm.... I'd find a parts car to replace the blown system. When I bought my car, my tape deck was messed up. I fixed that within the first couple days of owning the car by getting a new CD player.

Now if the tires are all different, then that means they got them used and might not last that long. Keep that in mind. I had to buy new tires when I got my car.

Really get some one to check out the tranny. Try to find out where it came from... which I doubt you'll be able to do. REALLY look into exhaust studs. And good luck! VTCs I wouldn't worry about too much unless the ticking bothers you. Since I'm not looking at the car myself, it's hard for me to tell you whether or not you should buy the car.