3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

will injectors of a different year work

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:36 PM

will injectors of a different year work

will injectors from a 1991 maxima work in a vg30e (gxe) loaded 92 maxima, without problems?
~andrew
Old 06-29-2003, 01:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i will say yes as it is the same engine. but 92-94 SE will not accept any 91. 92-94 SE is VE30DE. all 89-91 is VG. 92-94 GXE is VG.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 AM

but i know the injectors are different...the question is, does it matter that they are different? will they cause compatibility probs with the ecu? if the answer is yes, then i need multiple people to comfirm this.
~andrew
Old 06-29-2003, 11:31 AM

i have also read recently on a post, as i am having used injectors from a 91 non-SE maxima (i have a 90 SE) recal'd at rcengineering, that there is a black or blue dot on them. if your car has the opposite color, then they will not work. so i am facing the same problem, ie, i may have injectors that are useless to me. i will not know until i either go to nissan parts service and ask them, or tear down the car and look.

you should get other opinions, as i am doing the same.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:17 PM

update

i went to Miller Nissan in Van Nuys. i talked to people in both the parts and service departments to see if their info overlapped.

GXE and SE injectors ARE NOT THE SAME. but >>> 90 and 91 SE injectors are the same. YOU CANNOT MIX GXE WITH SE. evidently, both 89 GXE and SE are not the same system as the subsequent years for those models as well. YOU CANNOT REPLACE 89 SE WITH 90 OR 91 SE.

furthermore, you must replace each injector EXACTLY with the same injector and cylinder it came from. they will have dots on them: red, blue, or black. INJECTORS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE FROM CYLINDER TO CYLINDER. if the dots of the replacement injectors to not match the originals, they will not function properly.

for more info on this, GO TO THE NISSAN SERVICE DEPARTMENT> DO NOT RELY ON HERESAY. I GOT F*CKED BECAUSE I DID NOT LISTEN TO MY OWN ADVICE.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by bonzelite
update

i went to Miller Nissan in Van Nuys. i talked to people in both the parts and service departments to see if their info overlapped.

GXE and SE injectors ARE NOT THE SAME. but >>> 90 and 91 SE injectors are the same. YOU CANNOT MIX GXE WITH SE. evidently, both 89 GXE and SE are not the same system as the subsequent years for those models as well. YOU CANNOT REPLACE 89 SE WITH 90 OR 91 SE.

furthermore, you must replace each injector EXACTLY with the same injector and cylinder it came from. they will have dots on them: red, blue, or black. INJECTORS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE FROM CYLINDER TO CYLINDER. if the dots of the replacement injectors to not match the originals, they will not function properly.

for more info on this, GO TO THE NISSAN SERVICE DEPARTMENT> DO NOT RELY ON HERESAY. I GOT F*CKED BECAUSE I DID NOT LISTEN TO MY OWN ADVICE.

This is the deal...........

Injectors from a VG30E motor WILL NOT fit a VE30DE motor.

If you don't know the diff, the VG30E has a timing belt, VE30DE has a timing chain.

Now, about the dots on the injectors.....don't mix different color dots. In other words, don't put in a blue dot if all the others are black dot, and vise versa

You can switch ALL blue dots for ALL black dots, and vise versa, as long as ALL the injectors are the same color. All the injectors are the same....can go into any cylinder. Just look and take note of the direction of the connector. most injector connectors are not pointing at 12:00 o-clock.

Lastly, ALWAYS use new injector o-rings.
The old ones will leak!
Old 07-01-2003, 11:22 AM

some of your info does not correlate with what i was told by nissan.

GXE and SE fuel systems on the same engine, the VG, i was told, are not the same. you cannot swap the injectors between the two.

and i was told all injectors are not the same. cannot go into any cylinder.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm needing a caw

All injectors can go into any port location.

and i was told all injectors are not the same. cannot go into any cylinder.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
All injectors can go into any port location.

ok. collect all of the thoughts here: as long as it is VG30E - blue dot, black dot, SE, or GXE is all the same and every injector is the same so you can mix them all up?! this is the deal? so all of the color codes and model types are of no significance? a GXE fuel system is exactly the same as the SE and vice versa? everything swaps perfectly? and every cylinder gets the same injector?

either the people at nissan wanted me to buy new parts from them so they told me techno-babble, or they did not really know anything, or the people posting here do not really know anything.

so what is the real truth>?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM

you might want to read it again cause it seems like you didn't catch it or maybe i'm not catchin what you wrote.....VG is in GXE...VE is in SE....the injectors will NOT work properly if you use VG injectors in a VE and vice versa.....if you have injectors for the same engines, as long as all the colored dots match, it doesn't matter what color the dots are and you can use them in any port......hope thats right from what i read in the previous post!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:53 AM
Tom

Every cylinder gets the same injector. That's for absoultely sure. I bought one blue dot injector from one Nissan dealer and another blue dot injector from another Nissan dealer in a different town (slightly lower price with different sales tax). The 1st injector went into cyl #2 and the other went into cyl #6.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by maxdout92se
.....VG is in GXE...VE is in SE....
only the 92-94 SE is a VE. 89-91SE and 89-94GXE = VG.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:29 PM

ok. collect all of the thoughts here: as long as it is VG30E - blue dot, black dot, SE, or GXE is all the same and every injector is the same so you can mix them all up?! this is the deal? so all of the color codes and model types are of no significance? a GXE fuel system is exactly the same as the SE and vice versa? everything swaps perfectly? and every cylinder gets the same injector?

either the people at nissan wanted me to buy new parts from them so they told me techno-babble, or they did not really know anything, or the people posting here do not really know anything.

so what is the real truth>?

Maybe you didn't see my signature at the bottom of my post........

89-91 SE package didn't have anything to do with engine. ALL VG30E ENGINES ARE THE SAME FOR 1989-1994!!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:20 PM

will the injectors from a 4th gen fit a VE engine
Old 07-02-2003, 07:45 PM

wait. hold on. to everyone >>> i know, and have known, that the VG is in the 89-91 SE. they changed to VE in 92 for SE, but retained the VG for the GXEs. ok. great. i was never confused about injector interchangeability for those engines. i assumed that they could not be swapped anyway.

and now i do not doubt, that for whatever reason, that all of the injectors of the VG are interchangeable. i now fully believe that. the guy at the junkyard said that. the VG fuel system is the VG fuel system.

but i then went to nissan, to get another opinion. or "the" answer. and the people there, 2 of them, corroborated that the dots cannot be swapped. and furthermore that the exact cylinders are assigned specific information from the chip. therefore, swapping injectors will not give the driver optimum, factory spec, performance. and the SE and GXE *VG* fuel systems are mapped differently.

but as i thought about this, before i even returned here to see what ya'll would say further on, i had a sort of epiphany: you can probably use any injector in any port and the computer will not give one sh*t! but the actual "optimum" duty cycle or volume of fuel, etc. may not exactly match what has been factory mapped for each injector/cylinder. and, more than likely, this is what the guys at nissan must support and recognize. probably if nothing else but the save their as*es from a lawsuit.

so i think that the ECU is probably factory mapped for specific injector rates across all of the cylinders, but the variances are probably so little that it really does not register or matter much to the driver or the car itself. is like loudspeaker performance: a given model of JBL may have a total harmonic distortion of "such and such kHz" whereas Harmon Kardon may have THD of "blah blah blah kHz." now if you have been to 57 rock concerts, and your hearing is damaged enough, you will not be able to tell the difference. so those benchmarks mean little.

this is my hypothesis.

so eveyone here is right.

let's all go have a fuel injector swap party now. i have six from a 91 GXE. anybody want them? and they have all been recal'd at RC Engineering. any takers? i'll even show you the recal report. these f*ckers are sweet.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:00 PM

thats BS why would differnt cylinders get different amount of fuel, all the injectors are the same i cant amagine if you went to nissan and said you needed a feul injector they would ask which cylinder it was for. i would call courtesy and ask them
Old 07-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

wait. hold on. to everyone >>> i know, and have known, that the VG is in the 89-91 SE. they changed to VE in 92 for SE, but retained the VG for the GXEs. ok. great.
I didnt read your whole post but just wanted to be clear that my post was not to you but to the person I quoted because he said ".....VG is in GXE...VE is in SE...." so I wanted to let him know the the 89-91SE had the VG also and that you were talking about the VG.

I really know nothing about injectors and didnt even offer any advice about injectors. I was just letting the guy (and I replied to his post not yours) know about what the VG and VE was available in.

Like i said I didnt feel like reading your whole post so you may not have been responding to me but just wanted to clear that up.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by awsm66

I didnt read your whole post but just wanted to be clear that my post was not to you but to the person I quoted because he said ".....VG is in GXE...VE is in SE...." so I wanted to let him know the the 89-91SE had the VG also and that you were talking about the VG.

I really know nothing about injectors and didnt even offer any advice about injectors. I was just letting the guy (and I replied to his post not yours) know about what the VG and VE was available in.

Like i said I didnt feel like reading your whole post so you may not have been responding to me but just wanted to clear that up.
you're covered, bro. sorry to have lumped you in. you're way cool with me, and i saw your paint project, the pearl blue. just awesome (as i stray off topic for just a bit here). and i read your post about speeding. you mentioned you had a couple of daughters, if i am correct. i'm not young either, 33, and i know what you mean about slowing it down. i actually drive faster than i ever have in my life, as my car is simply fast, certainly compared to what i have ever had. but i am mindful and have some skills and a radar/laser detector. but EFI has not ever been my thing and has suddenly become important >>> as with only one injector failing, the entire car runs like **** and is barely drivable.

everyone else, you're all great folks, too. this subject IS confusing, perhaps more esoteric an area than others. i don't expect us all to know it all. fuel injection is not my area, but has become an issue, so i am getting my feet wet in it. this whole experience has forced me beyond my own area of interests to suddenly learn something that is foreign territory. in a way, fuel injection is too "dry" a topic for me. but is essential knowledge for proper induction tuning and combustion -the root of all horsepower.

i really did try to help by posting what i researched. and the more i encounter about EFI, the more i will impart what i have experienced.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:22 AM

i get it now. finally. it is quite simple: all blue dots. or all black dots. don't mix colors. but injectors of the same color are all the same, cylinder to cylinder. doesn't matter. if your engine has all blue dots, get a blue replacement. if they're all black, get a black replacement. keep them all the same color. or change the color by replacing them with all of the same color. this seems to be the full story.

the guys i spoke with at nissan did not convey this to me, but, instead, confused me further by not telling me the truth. i had to figure it out by reading the posts and comparing stories.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:43 AM

sowwie almighty one....it was just that he said he swappin from a 90 (or 91) GXE to a 92 SE...so i made the statement VE in SE and VG in GXE....thanks for the correction and justification...j/k with the sarcasim....but good looking out and yes he is correct!!! thats why i love you guys!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 05:44 AM

Old 07-04-2003, 01:12 PM

now there is this guy on another recent thread talking about pink injectors!!! i've had enough!!!! (they're prolly the new universal injectors that do away with all the black and blue ****).
Old 07-04-2003, 06:30 PM

now there is this guy on another recent thread talking about pink injectors!!! i've had enough!!!! (they're prolly the new universal injectors that do away with all the black and blue ****).

The pink that he was talking about is the injector body color. The

black or blue dot is painted on top of the injector body color. Just

look where the elect. connects to the injector. There is a half moon

cutout on the elect connector at the injector. At the half moon

cutout, you will see the painted dot.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by maxdout92se

sowwie almighty one....
Old 07-05-2003, 01:40 AM

pink is the body color, got it. we're still on the the black and blue program. can't escape it. why are they pink?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM

bringback an old thead to clear some matters up INPUT NEEDED.I was searching on the org. and the stock 89-94 sohc vg injectors are 181 or 180cc Right! "correct me if im wrong" And Also the 4th gen 270cc injectors will work on the ve (92-94) se, And vg's (93-94) gxe Fuel rails. I did the swap rewired the plugs into the harness and now im getting code 45 injector leak. How does the computer know the injector is leaking if the injector is recieving a rithamic pulse from the ecu based off other various sensors signals? Btw: I took the fuel rail out of the manifold and ran the fuel pump to check for leaks past the seals and i dont see nor smell fuel. Just out of curiosity are the ecu's between 89-92 sohc vg's different from 93-94 sohc vg's maximas? darn i knew i should'nt of sold my jwt ecu, safc nor my fpr
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM

i think Greeny did something like this but can't remember if he from VG > VE or VQ > VE or the other way around. as for the ECU i think there might differences since the early model 3rd gens injector harness connectors are different than the later model 3rd gens aside from other things as well. i know i have a 5spd ECU from an '89-'91 SE but i haven't thought of swapping ECU's on my 3rd gen since im still using my Auto ECU on my 3rd gen. after i had done the 5 speed swap. so i really can't say yes or no.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

I have put injectors from different cylinders into others. There is NO cylinder specific injectors for the 3rd gen maxima.

Keep in mind the guys you talked to at the dealership probably only read about the 3rd gen maxima and somehow got their info mixed up and informed you partially incorrectly about the injectors.

You can't always trust the stealership. I remember 5 years ago I had a problem with a stealership employee because he was telling me basically a part I was looking for didnt exist because he could only pull up the vg. Not sure what his problem was but after a while of arguing he grabbed another employee and I had no problems with him, he found it easy.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM

yea greeny swap ve injector into his gxe sohc. i think it was a 93 max if im not mistaken. funny part is when i installed the vq injectors into a 94 gxe fuelrail i found a the junkyard, to me my car idles alot better with these maybe my oem's were clogged abit, Also off the line that slight bog i had been chasing is gone too. But no performance gain noted. Btw: I have this code 45 injector leak though but the car runs good throughtout the powerband! im thinking that the extra cc of th vq injector is causing issues somewhere in the ecu. i did the diagnostics and cleared code but comes back in a few minutes while driving or idiling.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
I have put injectors from different cylinders into others. There is NO cylinder specific injectors for the 3rd gen maxima.

Keep in mind the guys you talked to at the dealership probably only read about the 3rd gen maxima and somehow got their info mixed up and informed you partially incorrectly about the injectors.

You can't always trust the stealership. I remember 5 years ago I had a problem with a stealership employee because he was telling me basically a part I was looking for didnt exist because he could only pull up the vg. Not sure what his problem was but after a while of arguing he grabbed another employee and I had no problems with him, he found it easy.

just my 2 cents
just to clarify: im not doing individual injector swap i replaced my whole fuelrail for a later gxe one and pigtail wires, with vq injectors same as ve/later gxe's.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM

2Legal4Me Also off the line that slight bog i had been chasing is gone too. But no performance gain noted.

Ive had that ever since ive had the car.... i figured it was the tranny but even after i swapped clutch and tranny i still have it....bigger injectors huh??? possible upgrade
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i have 4th gen injectors in my (VG) car now. car runs smoothly on all 6, but feels a bit weak and mpg sucks I'm thinking i might be running richer than the ECU can compensate for, perhaps. Man i wish i had a wideband.... just to verify my hypothesis.

edit: just found out that VG is 180cc and the VE/VQ are 259cc which is a BIG difference. evidently much too big of a difference for the ECU to compensate even in closed-loop (o2 sensor) operation. and based on converstaions with some other members (that know more about this stuff than I do), running that big of an injector without re-tuning is making me run way rich (which i already figured), and that i might have just trashed my engine. which, given that i have NEVER had lifter tick until after installing the oversize injectors (and a brand-new-as-of-tonight ticking noise that WILL NOT go away at all), i don't doubt it.

SO don't use the red-tops on a VG without getting a re-tuned ECU.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-21-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i have 4th gen injectors in my (VG) car now. car runs smoothly on all 6, but feels a bit weak and mpg sucks I'm thinking i might be running richer than the ECU can compensate for, perhaps. Man i wish i had a wideband.... just to verify my hypothesis.

edit: just found out that VG is 180cc and the VE/VQ are 259cc which is a BIG difference. evidently much too big of a difference for the ECU to compensate even in closed-loop (o2 sensor) operation. and based on converstaions with some other members (that know more about this stuff than I do), running that big of an injector without re-tuning is making me run way rich (which i already figured), and that i might have just trashed my engine. which, given that i have NEVER had lifter tick until after installing the oversize injectors (and a brand-new-as-of-tonight ticking noise that WILL NOT go away at all), i don't doubt it.

SO don't use the red-tops on a VG without getting a re-tuned ECU.
change you oil, you have fuel washing down into your oil thinning it out.

you can also compensate a bit for the injector by reducing your fuel pressure
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
change you oil, you have fuel washing down into your oil thinning it out.

you can also compensate a bit for the injector by reducing your fuel pressure
i'd have to drop it from 43psi to 20psi to lean it out approppriately, which, i have heard, will suck at the fuel atomization and still get crappy mpg's. the only thing that MIGHT work for me is to reduce the output signal of the MAF by about 33%, but i don't know if that would work or not. Even so i'd have to be easy on the throttle and keep it in closed loop all the time cuz i don't have a wideband and i don't want to run it mad-lean either.

and also, i'm not worried as much about the oil in my oilpan as i am about what damage might already be done to the engine.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i'd have to drop it from 43psi to 20psi to lean it out approppriately, which, i have heard, will suck at the fuel atomization and still get crappy mpg's. the only thing that MIGHT work for me is to reduce the output signal of the MAF by about 33%, but i don't know if that would work or not. Even so i'd have to be easy on the throttle and keep it in closed loop all the time cuz i don't have a wideband and i don't want to run it mad-lean either.

and also, I'm not worried as much about the oil in my oilpan as i am about what damage might already be done to the engine.
They probably haven't been in there long enough to do any permanent damage to the engine, just change the oil, and go pick up a used set of vg injectors from the j-yard..
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
They probably haven't been in there long enough to do any permanent damage to the engine, just change the oil, and go pick up a used set of vg injectors from the j-yard..
i can use the ones on the white car. it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I just grow increasingly tired of swapping injector pigtails perhaps i can snip a few things from the JY and wire it so that i can attach a 3-injector subharness to the rear as well as the front. cuz i have 2 of those subharnesses for the 89-92 injectors.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM

i can use the ones on the white car. it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I just grow increasingly tired of swapping injector pigtails perhaps i can snip a few things from the JY and wire it so that i can attach a 3-injector subharness to the rear as well as the front. cuz i have 2 of those subharnesses for the 89-92 injectors.
same here i hate changing these injectors either they leak ,stick or the just crap out all together. i prefered the later model fuelrails and pig tail plugs vs older clip style plugs personal preference though! The safc controller should lean these injectors out enuff to become efficient. Im not thinking jwt or nistune ecu's. I dont see spending that kind of money anymore since im not looking for any performance gain's just want to keep my car tip-top shape.

Just a thougt has anyone put 4th gen injectors in the ve-s without a cel?

Also GREENY when you put the 4th gen injector in did u have a cel on the gxe?

Last edited by 2Legal4Me; 04-21-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me

4th gen injector = VE injector
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
same here i hate changing these injectors either they leak ,stick or the just crap out all together. i prefered the later model fuelrails and pig tail plugs vs older clip style plugs personal preference though! The safc controller should lean these injectors out enuff to become efficient. Im not thinking jwt or nistune ecu's. I dont see spending that kind of money anymore since im not looking for any performance gain's just want to keep my car tip-top shape.

Also GREENY when you put the 4th gen injector in did u have a cel on the gxe?

4th gen injectors= 3rd gen VE injectors, same part..

No cel, no running problems at all, but i only have 2 ve injectors inthe vg..
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM

what about the safc controller? I read somewhere that the 4th gen fpr fitting can adapt to a 3rd gen fpr port to replace it with an aftermarket adjustible fpr

Quick Reply: will injectors of a different year work