3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

will injectors of a different year work

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM

so bottom line swapping ecus from a 93-94 gxe wont suit me here them. i'll look forward into getting some 93-94 gxe injectors since i already swap pigtails and subharness
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
same here i hate changing these injectors either they leak ,stick or the just crap out all together. i prefered the later model fuelrails and pig tail plugs vs older clip style plugs personal preference though! The safc controller should lean these injectors out enuff to become efficient. Im not thinking jwt or nistune ecu's. I dont see spending that kind of money anymore since im not looking for any performance gain's just want to keep my car tip-top shape.

Just a thougt has anyone put 4th gen injectors in the ve-s without a cel?

Also GREENY when you put the 4th gen injector in did u have a cel on the gxe?
well i don't mind changing injectors i'm just tired of screwing with my wiring.

Originally Posted by Greeny
4th gen injectors= 3rd gen VE injectors, same part..

No cel, no running problems at all, but i only have 2 ve injectors inthe vg..
did you check compression yet to see if there's any effects yet? 'seems fine' doesn't always = 'is fine'

so bottom line swapping ecus from a 93-94 gxe wont suit me here them. i'll look forward into getting some 93-94 gxe injectors since i already swap pigtails and subharness
you don't have to do anything with the ECU. just use the pink top injectors and you won't have any problems.

what about the safc controller? I read somewhere that the 4th gen fpr fitting can adapt to a 3rd gen fpr port to replace it with an aftermarket adjustible fpr
maybe if i weren't dead-*** broke i would do that. better thing to do is to use nistune and just modify the injector size and i think it takes care of the rest. even so the SAFC would have to drop pressure to just 20psi to compensate, which probably isn't high enough to properly atomize the fuel, resulting in crappy power and crappy MPG.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

o i changed my oil a few hours ago and after one cold startup, the lifter clack did not occur. i will see what happens tomorrow when i start it cold.

however i am consuming oil. not very much came out when i drained it, and before i changed it i checked the level warm and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick. i'm going to do a compression test as soon as i can to see what i can find out there. yes, shame on me for not checking my oil level more often but after 35k miles of NO oil consumption whatsoever i guess i just took it for granted that my engine didn't leak/burn oil.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver

maybe if i weren't dead-*** broke i would do that. better thing to do is to use nistune and just modify the injector size and i think it takes care of the rest. even so the SAFC would have to drop pressure to just 20psi to compensate, which probably isn't high enough to properly atomize the fuel, resulting in crappy power and crappy MPG.
the SAFC will try to get the computer to reduce the duty cycle of the injectors enough to compensate for their flow being to high. It does not affect the fuel pressure.
o i changed my oil a few hours ago and after one cold startup, the lifter clack did not occur. i will see what happens tomorrow when i start it cold.

however i am consuming oil. not very much came out when i drained it, and before i changed it i checked the level warm and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick. i'm going to do a compression test as soon as i can to see what i can find out there. yes, shame on me for not checking my oil level more often but after 35k miles of NO oil consumption whatsoever i guess i just took it for granted that my engine didn't leak/burn oil.
gas in oil = thinner oil = easier to burn

change those injectors out ASAP or you will destroy your engine quite literally.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the SAFC will try to get the computer to reduce the duty cycle of the injectors enough to compensate for their flow being to high. It does not affect the fuel pressure.
oic. does it just like, make the MAF signal reduced so the engine thinks less air, thus, less fuel?

gas in oil = thinner oil = easier to burn

change those injectors out ASAP or you will destroy your engine quite literally.
yea that makes sense. tested compression today. cyl1-5 are 177+/-2psi, and cyl6 is randomly 191psi. FSM spec is 173psi (with a minimum acceptable spec ov 128psi). hopefully the new oil and the still-good compression will buy me enough time to get it straightened out.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 AM
mod or sell?

oic. does it just like, make the MAF signal reduced so the engine thinks less air, thus, less fuel?

yea that makes sense. tested compression today. cyl1-5 are 177+/-2psi, and cyl6 is randomly 191psi. FSM spec is 173psi (with a minimum acceptable spec ov 128psi). hopefully the new oil and the still-good compression will buy me enough time to get it straightened out.
your is being thinned out every time you run your engine right now, and your cylinder walls are no longer being protected since the gas is washing the cylinder walls down rather than leaving the protective coating of oil on the cylinder wall for lubrication.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

your is being thinned out every time you run your engine right now, and your cylinder walls are no longer being protected since the gas is washing the cylinder walls down rather than leaving the protective coating of oil on the cylinder wall for lubrication.
unfortunately there's really not much i can do about it right now until i get a job.

i do have a question about the compression for anybody who knows the answer... all of them did get to 173psi or higher, but alot of them took their damn sweet time getting there. like, cylinder 3 hit 125 the first time. i released pressure, cranked again. 160. release and crank again. 170. release and crank again. 177. same for cylinder 5, and i think either 2 or 4 did the same thing. 1 was instantly perfect, and i think 6 was as well. does that *actually* mean my compression is bad even tho it still hit spec after a few iterations of testing?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

It means there is probably still GASOLINE in your oil!!!

Get a job, fix yo cah..