3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

hi guys nice to be back>>>>>>>>>.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 09:48 AM

as you know i injested some water a few weeks back and my engine started to make this ticking noise. the prognosis was a bent rod and bad vtc sprockets. i have since then had the vtc sprockets fixed and now i am trying to figure out what to do with the car. should i
a: rebuild the current engine (6 new rods/pistons-crower/je)
b: fix the one bent rod.
c: buy a new or rebuilt engine
d: buy a new car (prolly a 4th gen, i have a 93se 5sp)

TIA!!!!
this car is testament to nissan build quality and reliability/durability. the reason i had not fixed the vtc and rod all at once is that time and money were not on my side, and i had already pruchased the parts for the vtc repair a month prior to the water ingestion incident. i needed to get back to CT (from FL) urgently so i had the vtc fixed and drove 1300 miles (18hrs) tampa - hartford and she is still running. now that i am home i want to get it fixed but i am unsure what the best course of action would be.
Old 08-23-2000, 09:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

Very odd->

There are a few things "odd" about the diagnostic on your engine:

1) How exactly do you know you bent a rod? If you bent a rod even slightly, I doubt the engine would run at all or even turn over anymore. If you actually bent a rod so slightly that the car still runs, how did the "mechanic" determine that the rod was bent at all? Does the car run much crappier now?

2) I guess I could believe that by getting some water into the oil, it would screw up the VTC assemblies.

3) If you engine is truely screwed and only one rod is bent, I would probably just get the one rod fixed. But like I said above, bent rod ususally equals seized engine or a severly bad running engine.
Old 08-24-2000, 04:09 PM

Re: Very odd->

Originally posted by Jeff92se
There are a few things "odd" about the diagnostic on your engine:

1) How exactly do you know you bent a rod? If you bent a rod even slightly, I doubt the engine would run at all or even turn over anymore. If you actually bent a rod so slightly that the car still runs, how did the "mechanic" determine that the rod was bent at all? Does the car run much crappier now?

well the story goes, i was driving down a flooded street in traffic (afternoon rush)i was in the right lane and the water was somewhat deep so i headed for the left lane so i could get onto the "crest" of the road. just as i made it to the left lane she stalled on me. (alternator may have been wet) i tried to start it over but the engine would not turn. i let the car sit for thirty seconds and tried again. she started and i was able to drive off. while i drove it home i noticed this loud ticking/tapping/knocking sound. when i checked the oil i noticed that it was kind of watery. i changed the oil and flushed it the and the sound remained. as far as a bent rod i dont really want that to be the case. i was more or less thinking a bent valve or lifter. and like you siad 800 miles after the incident plus 1300 miles/18 hours@80+ would surely have broken the engine if i had a bent rod, my 2 cents. either way bent rod, or valve or lifter i believe the cylinder head has to come off. i am dying to find out how fatally my VE is injured. she is precious to me. this would be ideal if it happened say 2 months ago. i had the money to send the car/engine to have it rebuilt with a light weight rod and piston combo. the problem is that i got my fiance pregnant and had to redirect my funds.

the dream is to build an an all motor VEhemoth
extrude hone the intake/exhaust manifold
port/polish the head
intake/full exhaust
what else is left to do to the motor??????
also keep her quiet so i can roll in sleeper mode.

2) I guess I could believe that by getting some water into the oil, it would screw up the VTC assemblies.

oil starvation is not good for VTC's so i gues the water screwed up the already failing sprockets.

3) If you engine is truely screwed and only one rod is bent, I would probably just get the one rod fixed. But like I said above, bent rod ususally equals seized engine or a severly bad running engine.