3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

door keypad help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

door keypad help

Hi I just bought a 1993 Nissan Maxima and it seems the car doesn't want to start.
I have recharged the battery.

The security light comes on.

There is a keypad on the door. I do not know how to turn this off hence no manual.

The battery in the car is fine and the car can start when I jump it but when I try to turn the car on it just clicks.

Does this have anything to do with the keypad?

Here's the keypad
  • ST C
  • 12 TRK
  • 56 WDW
  • 90 LCK

Is there a way to clear the previous settings?

Please someone help me. I'm begging you.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 PM

amm how the door from the inside then use the original key to open the door, and the reset the door code look under the glove box behind the dash you'll see the security box with 3 sets of #'s write down the middle set of #'s and enter then on the keypad after you do so it will start to beep which means you now have 6 seconds to enter your new code.......
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 PM

My car used to do that too. I'm under the assumption that you have an automatic like I do. I learned that when my Max did an autokill like that, I just pushed the shifter up a little bit, then let it rest in "Park" again. Then started just fine. Eventually when you do it enough times, it just becomes second nature to automatically set it pass "Park" before you leave the car each time, so it'll be ready next time.
No matter what, that flashing Security light will always be on no matter what, as long as the door is open. And when you press '9' on the keypad, it'll lock the doors, and a solid Security light will stay on, that means your stock alarm is on.

If you have a manual, then I can't help you with this problem.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

psygnius,yes I do have an automatic. What do you mean by pushing the shifter? I pushed the shifter up but doesn't go past "park". I even held the shifter forward and tried to start the car and it's a no go.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:09 AM

Marv...

Here is the Skinny on that! There is a ring culpit (plastic ring in the shifter) that helps when you push the button to shift the stick from P to D to R ect... That piece wears out over time, especially when someone does not use the button when shifting from R to D, they just pull the shifter down. Sounds like what happened to my 94 last month. I took it to my mechanic and it was a $4.00 part that cost about $15.00 for him to fix. If I would have known that, I would have done it myself. Hope this is the problem, it is an easy fix, or you can do what PSY does....
Old 07-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all your help.

I fixed my problem. It seems like it was the battery all along. ;P

Replaced it with brand new one and what do you know? It starts right up.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:25 AM

Guess we need to start with the simple things first eh? lol
Old 07-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[H] Maxima Club
Old 07-01-2003, 02:59 PM

Well I can break down the door keypad for you since no one else has yet.

The keypad is for your security system, and also has a few other features.

I'm assuming you DO NOT have the code for the door since you don't know what it does.

Start off by finding the code for your door:

There are two codes for your door, the master code, and what i'm goin to call the slave code. The slave code can be changed and is the one you use regularly. You should only use the master code to reset your slave code.

Take out your glovebox (the whole thing), and you'll find a little computer box back there. There is a 6 digit number on the box (mine was 6). That is your security systems master code. ie: 123456

Press the "ST" button on your door, follow that with your 6 digit code. *note* each button is two numbers, you don't press the side of it. 1 and 2 are the same button to press.

The keypad should beep funny. Type in a new code. I recommend 1111 so you could confuse yourself until you get the hand of changing the code. Remember, you can always just type in the master code again if needed. After you type in your new code, simply wait. It should beep again and that means the new slave code is set.

In short:

Press ST, XXXXXX (your master code)
Wait for beep
Type XXXXXX (your new code, not necessarily 6 digits)
Pause and wait for beep.

This may not be exact, but its like any change of password. "Type in old password, type in new password"

For normal use, type ST and your code and your security will disable and the doors will unlock. After typing that in, you can press:

TRK: Pop the trunk
WND: Open the front windows and Sunroof (hold in button)

LCK: Lock doors, arm securtiy (can be used without typing in master code)

For some dumb reason, you can't put the windows back up using the keypad O_o

Hope you understood my gibberish.... I'm a bit tired. Feel free to correct me anybody. As I said, I'm not sure if that's the exact code change, but i'm sure you can figure it out from that.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I already did that thanks. Looked on the right corner of the glove box where your passanger feet goes but that wasn't the problem.