3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Want to learn about your car or modding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Want to learn about your car or modding?

Ok, since there has been a lot of useless threads posted lately about topics that are discusses on every page it seems like, I've decided to take action. So here I go..........

First of all, if you dont know anything about your car or modding, we've all been there. I remember sending Matt PMs about how to take off the plastic wheel well cover so I could run my power wire. I'm sure I sent others stupid questions, but that one sticks out in my mind.......Anyways.... what can you do to learn about your car and modding? Here we go, I'll do the cliff notes first

1. Search, use it
2. FAQs, read them
3. Factory service manual, Chilton, Hayes, buy them

1. Use the search function, it actually works!

Believe it or not, that little text in the top right of your screen is fully functional. Use it, learn to love it. I spend more time on here searching than anything. It's amazing how much easier it searching and finding the answer than it is posting and then waiting for someone to reply.

BMW headlights, goodness. There are 3-4 writeups out there that tell you EXACTLY what to do, what to buy, and where you can get it. Search for them before I must sacrifice a newbie if Matt doesn't get to him/her first. If I have to make a sticky or something to stick into the FAQs, I'll do it if someone wants me to.

There is so much information out there, from the search function to the FAQ's, USE IT! Which brings me to my next point

2. Use the FAQs

Those things labeled important are labeled just for fun. They actually are important believe it or not. Read them, memorize them, read them again.

Want to know what your car might run in the quarter mile? We have a sticky with times of people from stock to modded. It's a good time, have a look.

And finally.....

3. Buy a factory service manual (FSM)

Just got mine in today, I should have gotten it the day I thought about modding my car. Wondering why the car is acting weird or what size bolt you need to bolt the clutch assembly to the wall? It's all in there. Diagrams, troubleshooting, you name it, you got it.

You can get a Chilton or Hayes, but definetely get a FSM if you are serious about your car. Mine was 30 shipped off ebay. It'll be paid for the second I start the five speed conversion.

I've got more to add, but I'll do that in another installment. Thanks for reading my rant if you are still here

BTW, pretty much everything I've said is in the stickies above me, but I'm pretty sure nobody checks those
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM

glad you've got the patience to deal with those useless threads that are posted. keep it up paul. hopfully people will actually search before posting topics that were popular the day before.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:21 PM
STFU n00b!

amen brotha!

you get sticky of the week!

now if only I could make the font size about 100 x larger and make it blink or something...

maybe it should be the "default .org home page" for people with under 100 posts..
Old 07-08-2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
amen brotha!

you get sticky of the week!

now if only I could make the font size about 100 x larger and make it blink or something...

maybe it should be the "default .org home page" for people with under 100 posts..
or if you wanna be really cruel is have new 3rd gen members that wanna sign up type that entire post out that KLoWnPR109 wrote. after that then they'll be allowed to post
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan

or if you wanna be really cruel is have new 3rd gen members that wanna sign up type that entire post out that KLoWnPR109 wrote. after that then they'll be allowed to post
Old 07-08-2003, 02:51 PM

i love it, maxima board initiation.

walka
Old 07-08-2003, 04:45 PM

I'm sorry guys, I just have a lot of questions & I am the kind of person who just wants to make sure before I do something. I DO use search a lot, but sometimes I just can't find the specific answer I'm looking for. Way to go Paul!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:00 PM

copy paste or ctrl+c then ctrl+v
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 PM

Performance Mods-What They Do, Where to Get, What They Cost

Intake-basically an intake draws more air into your engine with the aid of a large cone filter. It’s a couple hp by itself, but the best part about it is the sound. Where can you get these and what brands are there you ask?

A popcharger is referred to when the stock airbox has been removed and the cone filter takes the place of the airbox. It’s also know as a HAI, or hot air intake. It draws in air from around the battery area. Here are all the types I can think of, and where to get them.

1. Type: Homemade adapter plus generic filter
Cost: the price of the filter (around $25)
Where to Get: refer to this thread that I got from the search (upper right hand corner, use it, be like me)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....intake+adapter

2. Type: Generic filter plus adapter
Cost: around 25-30 including shipping
Where to Get: Ebay

3. Type: JWT
Cost: about 120+shipping
Where to Get: www.courtesyparts.com www.cattmanperformance.com www.avalonracing.net

4. Type: Stillen
Cost: 177.45 plus shipping
Where to Get: www.stillen.com www.eatricezone.com www.southwestautoworks.com

Another type of intake you can purchase is what is known as a cold air intake.(CAI) A cold air intake replaces all of the black tubing from the throttle body to the mass air flow sensor. On the other side of the MAFS, there is a pipe that places the filter into the wheel well. This allows the filter to draw much colder air. Downside? You have to cut to make a hole to where the pipe will fit through.

You basically have two places to get a CAI from

www.cattmanperformance.com Cost is 215 for black, 220 for silver, and then you add shipping

www.warpspeedperformance.com Cost is 155 plus shipping

So what’s better? You decide…here’s a thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....old+air+intake

Look what the search can do! When you do search like a good person does, make sure that you set the option that it searches ALL of the threads. The default is like 3 weeks or something like that, so you aren't gonna go back much.

Y pipes are next, how about I do all this and get a sticky? I get bored on my day's off, so I'm doing something constructive
Old 07-08-2003, 05:17 PM

Y pipe- an aftermarket y pipe replaces the stock y pipe on your car. If you do not know, the y pipe is the pipe that runs from your front exhaust manifold (closest to the grille of the car) to the cat. An aftermarket y pipe is enlarged with a 2.5” diameter as opposed to the stock 2.25”. It is usually the main source of power for all maximas. However, we do not see the same amount of gains as the 4th and 5th gens because we don’t have the precats to eleminate. Regardless, it’s a good thing to have if you wanna go fast. Here’s where to go

www.warpspeedperformance.com Carries mandrel and non mandrel bent, stainless and alumized steel, and and MIG or TIG welded. Cheapest pipe is 175 plus shipping, most expensive is 275

There is also a Cattman y pipe, but www.cattmanperformance.com doesn’t have it on their website, so who knows?

I believe Warpspeed Performance now sells their y pipes on ebay as well as their website
Old 07-08-2003, 05:27 PM

i called cattman up the other day, the lady told me 1200 for a complete cat back system for a 1993 3rd gen ve!!! wtf!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

copy paste or ctrl+c then ctrl+v
hmm...forgot about that
Old 07-09-2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Thats probably one of the best/most creative idea's I've heard pertaining to the issue.

I also didnt think about the whole copy + paste thing, so instead, we can just give them a topic to search on and get back to us with the answers, wait a minute, if they did that, we wouldnt have this problem in the first place. its just a loop.

for Matt's Idea
Old 07-09-2003, 08:11 AM

klown,

this is a great post man, keep going with it if you can. on behalf of everyone who will read and use this post, thank you. or if anyone else can make some detailed contributions like klown did, that would be real nice. great work everyone.

walka
Old 07-10-2003, 08:14 AM

a bit more two cents: i have found that, too, when i have exhausted all searches and waited for replies that never quite panned out, that i must come to the last conclusion: i must do it myself! inasmuch as i want to avoid mistakes and expense, some of the things i want to do are not commonly done. and/or people who have done it are not on the org when i want them to be. so there you go >>> take a risk. do it yourself and then post your own thread about how it went. even if it was a "mistake." i had a fuel injection issue come up recently, and, with little to no information or advice given to me when asked, had to make it up myself, go to nissan and others who gave me half-baked or conflicting information, and i ended up buying crap i really didn't need. but boy did i learn my lesson. quickly. and along the way i learned about what impedance/resistance/ohms really were. and what duty cycles are. and i just learned more about fuel/air mixture and octane. so i was taken on a little journey.