3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Very long need help, please someone can help me figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:24 PM

Very long need help, please someone can help me figure this out.

Still no luck with my heistation, back fire, missfiring VE5spd quote:

Well here is the problem. For the past couple of weeks the max has been acting up, and big time. When i got her she ran perfectly, with what i am thinking was or is sticky lifters, like a rattle coming from the upper intake manifold. I have ordered the ngk platinum plugs, fuel filter and pcv. Diego aka d-sta, did they job of installing it for me, and now i know what it takes to do the job.

The problem began to become very serious ever since i put two tanks back to back treatment of chevron with techtron fuel cleaner. Before adding the cleaner i was getting 360+ miles per tank, after that it went to 180, then 170, then 150 to the tank. Now slowly its going up. i just filled up and it was up to 220.

Just now we finished the tune up. Lets see how the next tank goes.
But so far, even after the tune up it is still back firing, boggin and if i tap on the gas the rpms would drop down to 300 and bounce back up and bogg again. It is getting really bad.

Looking at the engine from the front, the first plug near the passenger side of the max on the value cove, that plug is and was full of oil. The plugs that was in there were bosh platinums. That is the only cyclinder that had that problem. A couple of friends of diego said it coule be the cyclinder compression, or the piston, or the rings itself. Help i think that this might be a very costly repair, and the lifter or knocking sound is getting louder. What could be the problem. The oil in the engine was just changed and its clean. The value cover is leaking oil a little from the gasket on the driver side near the timing. I love this max but i dont. I loved her when i got her, but now she is barely performs, only if i keep her above 3k would she actually respond.

Now what else could be the culpirt.? The fuel filter that was taken out was ok no dirt or anything. btw, i just added a pop charger to the intake. Could it be the fuel injector? Fuel rail? compression.? blown gasket or seal?

All the coils and the plug that goes into the spark plugs are in great condition, no cracks or frails. Everything is in ok condition. all the other cyclinders are not leaking and the plus from the rest of the 5 have no oil on them, just that single one, that is wet.

I am ready to just stop driving period. I love the maxima, but its getting really costly really fast. Whats my other alternative? Get the engine rebuilt? Or get a jdm engine

*sigh*. dont know what to do, she is a beautiful piece of machinary.
Sorry for being long.

Once again my true friends, Deigo, thanks for your time and help, i really appreciate it bro, good thing will come who does good deeds. Also i would also like to thank Jason aka N34JZ, for all his tireless help, always being there, from beggining to end, Thanks to the both of you guys, I hope one day you guys are MOTM.

Also, Maf adapter is good. Reason being is because i tested it. I disconnected the wire and started the max. I hit the gas and it wouldnt rev past 2-3k, reconnected it and the max worked fine, but the problem was still there.

I doubt throttle cleaner would do anything.

I doubt that the IACV would do that major problem.

All it leaves me with is the compression and the cyclinder.

No check engine light, Nothing, Zip, Nada.

History.

1993 VE 5spd.

Purchased from a privet owner on June 1 2003. Mileage 1168XX.
Maxima was sitting for months not being moved or tuned on for sometime.
When i purchased the max it was running perfect. Only when i got it after driving 200+ miles, it started to knock.
Water pump, timing chain service= Unknown.
Changed the oil about two weeks ago.
Added Fstb, and Popcharger just recent.

Two bottles of chevron with techron added one after another during two fillups.

Could this be the dreaded VTC's at work

Maybe a clogged fuel rail?

Sorry for my post. i really applogise to all the org members. And to the mods. I know you guys here about this everytime
Old 07-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

putt putt putt - for anyone who is thinking of helping - this is what izzy's car sounds like!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:05 AM

Sounds like when you added the fuel injector cleaner it freed up one or more of the injector o-rings. This is a very common problem, and it will cause your poor fuel economy and putt putt...

If your lifters are sticking, then use a motor flush (follow the instructions) and make sure you use new oil/filter after doing the flush.

Ofcourse there may me many other things wrong.

good luck.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:34 PM

Izzy I spoke to my mechanic friend today and he said Thursday is good for him and that he's sure that he will find what the problem is. I.M. tonight or give me a call.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE
Sounds like when you added the fuel injector cleaner it freed up one or more of the injector o-rings. This is a very common problem, and it will cause your poor fuel economy and putt putt...
how would the chevron additive harm the fuel economy if its designed to help? I dunno, ive been using a bottle of that every 3k oil change and mine runs fine with gradual roller coaster type fuel economy results.... meaning ill get a few tanks of good mpg then a few tanks of poor mpg etc. Im wondering if i should stop using it..
Old 07-09-2003, 01:05 PM
STFU n00b!

if it eats the o-rings around the injectors, it can cause fuel to leak around them. it can also cause a messed up (and clogged) injector to just start squirting fuel into the engine all the time if the injector is bad. in that case, you get to replace the injectors.

at this point, because of the oil, step #1 is to do a compression test on it and see what's happened. if there's oil everywhere outside that cylinder, and oil everywhere inside it, it's likely you've got a bad head gasket, lifter, valve, or other serious problem.

funny part is that it ran fine when you got it. SOMETHING you did to it caused it to start doing this..........
Old 07-09-2003, 01:14 PM

If you get a 'power balance test' done at a Nissan dealership, that'll tell you which injectors are bad. Full diagnotics with the consult should only cost around $70.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:01 PM

ALWAYS, the first best test is to check the compression. Pull all the plugs, pull the fuel injector fuse, hold the throttle open and crank the engine over the same amount for each cylinder. All cylinders should be no more the 10% from highest to lowest. This is a cheap test (a decent universal kit is about $25) and is easy to do for anybody who knows which end of a ratchet the socket goes on.

Once you have good compression verified you can move on to all the other things.

Or another cheap and easy diagnosis tool is a vaccum/boost gauge plugged into manifold vacuum.

Doing these two tests and understanding what the result mean can save you bunches of dollars of "shotgun mechanics".
Old 07-09-2003, 05:36 PM

izzy when u mention about the gas and rpm dropping i think thats the same thing my car does and my mechanic got her right now he told me it needs a new air flow meter and he gonna check some other things and let me know so if anything pops up ill let u know
Old 07-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

compression test

"Or another cheap and easy diagnosis tool is a vaccum/boost gauge plugged into manifold vacuum."

do you mean to do this to check for compression? what is a good reading, then, on the gauge?
Old 07-10-2003, 12:38 PM

ok just got back from the mechanic. he tried to test the vaccum but the gauge broke on him, but he then procedded to check the fuel injector voltage. it was dead. Zero. the other ones was at about 12.8
Old 07-25-2003, 12:43 AM

Update

Well now i figured out and resolved my problem.
I went ahead and ordered my fuel injector from south point nissan in tx, and then the details.....

The thing was that it was one of the bad injector in the front. So yay easier to work with, yes and no. The 2 screws that hold the "cap" of the fuel injector was rounded. so i couldnt take it off. so after a few minutes Jason, N34JZ, thought of Bob Villa, Yes Bob Villa. Why bob you might ask your self? Well it was that he saw (so have I) a commercial of one of those screw removers that take out rouned and stuck screws. So we went to sears and baught the 3 piece set, 20 bucks. Begain to remove the screws and it kept rouning it even worse. Then i took a flat head screw driver and made a little dnet on the screw so that the remover can get it out. We tried again and this time aftre 5 minutes it began to take it out. YAY! Oh almost forgot we lost on of the bits down in the V shape engine block there goes on of my bits 7 bucks down the drain

Anyways, now back to the injector. We had it all out and took off the breather of the oil to the intake runner. now the thing was how do we get the injector out. I tried to pull it out and i couldnt. WE went back into his house and searched on 4DSC.com. There was a write up on a 3rd gen vg, yes i know different, but it worked. It says to rock back and forth, we did and nothing happened. Now i am thinking how the hell do we get this bish out. Well i took a flat head screw driver and started to see if i can pry it out the socket. ( DONT ADVISE IN DOING THAT, DOING SO MY DAMAGE THE INJECTOR RAIL, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.) Before going on i want to add yes, we did take out the fuel pump fuse out and opened the gas cap and started the engine before hand to make ceratin that we get the fuel out and the max wouldnt start, so we figured the line was depressurized.

Now then. After taking the flat head screw driver and prying it, i couldnt get it out. Jason stepped in and helped me push it out. We both got two screw drivers and we started to pry it loose. Then i was about to give up when i pushed harder and all you see was the injector fly straight up in the air and followed was jason running like a bish in the other direction lol j/k( he was not one to mess with the fuel as it could start a fire or worse blow us up.) and then a big ol fountain of gas appreared. Wow that was pretty. Any who we got it out. We then decided to use the same o rings that was on the injector, being carefull not to ripe it or break it,(would recommend to just buy a new set) but nissan parts department was closed. Any ways. I just poped thenew injector in but it wouldnt go in. I used motor oil to lub the o rings and then jay asked me if we should used a rubber mallet, so we did. We just banged her in slowly and gently. an in she went. Attached all the cables andalso got new screws for the top cap part of the fuel injector at sears, 6 cents each. Then we started her up. NO HEISTATION!, NO BOGGING, NO PROBLEMS!. i checked for fuel leaks, everything was a go. We went out to "test drive " the new injector, all i can say wow! My maxima is back to life. Jason was peeling out left and right, the engagement of the gas vs clutch was great. Before i had to reve and keep my foot on the gas to avoid bogging the engine when putting it in 1st and shifting to second.

All and all the hardest part was 1 taking out the screw from the "cap" 2 popping out the injector. THAT IS ALL. Jay and i know both know who to replace the front injectors, the rears are gonna give us hell, and i hope i will never do them or they wont go badd in the near future *knock on wood*.

Jason drove back home and i can feel the difference in the passenger seat. I had a great big ol smile. 0-85 in about 10 sec.

I took it home and man i am so amazed by the VE power. I lined up against an acura with most bolt ons and wasno match for myself. he gave me a thumbs up and was shocked when i told him i only had an intake. He said "Nice" and nodded his head. Next a dirt bike was next to me and reved his engine. I just did some fast shifting and left him in the back. i stopped and he rolled up to me and beeped his horn and gave me the thumbs up. Man o man, cannot believe this power. Now i cannot wait to put the mods that i have in my apartment in my max. OK nuff said. Good night. I am so tired. I have another story, it has to do with a window regulator, but i'll save that til i get enough strength to type
Old 07-25-2003, 07:09 AM

kool Izzy. now I wanna race u.lol keep up the good work and when is the y pipe coming in?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 AM

Good story telling. You make the read interesting. Congratulations of finding and fixing your problem.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 AM

thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so, uh, you dropped the bit INTO the engine itself? or ONTO
Old 07-25-2003, 09:31 AM

on to
Old 07-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

what a mess
Old 07-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Im like bob villa in this bitcch. lol
Old 07-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

if you ever want a laugh come to my house and watch me and Izzy work on his car hey after all the trouble at least the car drives great now, one day Ill teach you how to shift like that
Old 07-25-2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by N34JZ
if you ever want a laugh come to my house and watch me and Izzy work on his car hey after all the trouble at least the car drives great now, one day Ill teach you how to shift like that

u work on cars or ur friends cars...i have a problem with mine..
Old 07-25-2003, 08:25 PM

lesson to be learnt: dont use fuel system cleaners. when i was going to school(automotive enginnering) my professor would always say that all you do is loosen up and pick up whatever is stuck on the bottom of the tank, fuel lines, etc and dump it into your injectors, causing them to fail. although we are talking about particles microns small(maybee not that small, but you get the idea)you see that it does happen. doesnt mean that there may not have already been a problem there and izzy worsened it either. glad to hear it is better than ever izzy.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by shavedmax
lesson to be learnt: dont use fuel system cleaners. when i was going to school(automotive enginnering) my professor would always say that all you do is loosen up and pick up whatever is stuck on the bottom of the tank, fuel lines, etc and dump it into your injectors, causing them to fail. although we are talking about particles microns small(maybee not that small, but you get the idea)you see that it does happen. doesnt mean that there may not have already been a problem there and izzy worsened it either. glad to hear it is better than ever izzy.
pick a color yet?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:28 PM

thanks bro i am so happy..

pick a color yet?

i hope its not blue

jay man you shift like whao. i was like 2nd to 3rd you made like an s shape shift madd quick, and my head went back.WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 07-26-2003, 01:31 PM

pick a color yet?
yeah, close to the one i told you, not blue though, to make izzy happy . hopefully will be painted by sat,clean and freshly shaved doors on it too
Old 07-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

yeah, close to the one i told you, not blue though, to make izzy happy . hopefully will be painted by sat,clean and freshly shaved doors on it too
cool, come by when its done so I can take some pics
Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 PM

cool, come by when its done so I can take some pics
are you swapping your engine now, is it being done in the future. we could go to bald hill together
Old 07-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

are you swapping your engine now, is it being done in the future. we could go to bald hill together
I brought the engine to the mechanic today and Im bringing the car tommorow so Im hoping to pick it up bynext friday or sat.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:45 PM

I brought the engine to the mechanic today and Im bringing the car tommorow so Im hoping to pick it up bynext friday or sat.
good, im glad its not going to be a 2 month long ordeal
Old 07-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

good, im glad its not going to be a 2 month long ordeal
dont jinx it
Old 07-26-2003, 04:41 PM

dont jinx it
sorry
Old 07-26-2003, 09:17 PM

check your EGR valve and oxygen sensor, then check your computer codes for a service message.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:19 AM

err um did you read my follow up post above, i fixed the problem. i just refueled my max, lets see how much more my mpg goes up.