3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

apexi s-afc II

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

apexi s-afc II

has anyone installed one of these or similar? i can't seem to get a good air flow reading so i think maybe i don't have one of the wires in correctly. anyone know what wire i would use for the air flow reading from the maf. also, anyone know what i set the hot wire thing to? they don't have our car in there and the only thing in the book was a terrano which was built from 89-95 so i used what it said and set the hot wire thing to 6 on in and out. any info would be great.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:39 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: apexi s-afc II

Originally posted by mtcookson
has anyone installed one of these or similar? i can't seem to get a good air flow reading so i think maybe i don't have one of the wires in correctly. anyone know what wire i would use for the air flow reading from the maf. also, anyone know what i set the hot wire thing to? they don't have our car in there and the only thing in the book was a terrano which was built from 89-95 so i used what it said and set the hot wire thing to 6 on in and out. any info would be great.
I kinda want to know this, too, since I was looking to buy one of these...
Old 07-11-2003, 02:37 PM

well i think i have it figured out. my main problem now is timing. if you go to RRE www.roadraceengineering.com they have an awesome write up on the s-afc. I found out that i had the wrong wire for the rpm and when i put the correct one on it finally read the correction data so i think it's all good. at one point i was messing with it and i started hearing some popping noises and i was like crap, this is enough for now, but on RRE they actually said to get it down to the popping noises then raise it up a little bit after that. you really need an egt to do it right but for now it will get my car running at the least. i'll post up the correct wires to plug in soon. (i think they're right )
Old 07-11-2003, 03:09 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for yours? I've been pricing them out lately, and the cheapest I found was $325 and I was wondering if that was a good deal or if there may be a better price. Oh, and do you have the "special edition" apexi s-afc II or not?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

nupe, its not much of a worthwhile modification on an N/A car...if I were you I'd spend that $325 somewhere else

Originally posted by nubiannupe
If you don't mind, how much did you pay for yours? I've been pricing them out lately, and the cheapest I found was $325 and I was wondering if that was a good deal or if there may be a better price. Oh, and do you have the "special edition" apexi s-afc II or not?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:26 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DA-MAX
nupe, its not much of a worthwhile modification on an N/A car...if I were you I'd spend that $325 somewhere else

Good lookin out, Addae.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by nubiannupe Good lookin out, Addae.
just look at it this way...you pay $325 for the AFCII, then to get OPTIMAL gains you get the car on a dyno and pay some more money for tuning(probably $75-100). after all that you still won't see the gains that a full JWT ECU upgrade would result in for ~$150 or so more. IMO put that $325 towards the JWT ECU, you'll be much more satisfied. the AFC is more towards correcting A/F ratio parameters on turbo cars rather than gaining hp on n/a cars with bolt-ons.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:44 AM

i bought it for 295 on ebay. shipping brought it to about 315.

yeah, the reason i'm using this is because i have 300zx turbo injectors and a walbro 255 lph fuel pump running on stock ecu. i'm still debating on getting the jwt. i really want to go fully programmable but the only deal i can get right now is a microtech for 800. i will more than likely go for jwt down the road but for now i'm doing the afc.