3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help me out PLS. Ticking Noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Help me out PLS. Ticking Noise ?

Hey guys,
My car has made this sound for while a now. When I'm accelerating in reverse or drive. I'm hearing a ticking noise from the front of the car. I've recently added a y-pipe, hi-flow catt, and resonated b-pipe to my exhaust system and the ticking noise is much louder now. It will only make the noise when the car is under load. If I'm in park or neutral reving the engine I don't hear the ticking noise.
I think that it's just an exhaust leak noise that is bouncing out from the wheel well. And it makes sense that it got louder when I added 2.5" piping. But if it only makes the sound under load does that mean it technically isn't an exhaust leak? Or will it only be audible/noticeable if i'm moving because the sound bounces around more.
Can anyone give me an idea of what this could be?
I drive an Auto 92' VG.

Thanx people.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:15 AM

Re: Help me out PLS. Ticking Noise ?

hey Ryan

we'll meet up this weekend......i get the same tickin' noise from my Max 2.........and what i read about this tickin'....the peepz on the .org say its the valves or carbon build up on them.......something like that...can't remember right now......goin' 2 flush out the motor i think....
Old 07-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Help me out PLS. Ticking Noise ?

Originally posted by Torres
hey Ryan

we'll meet up this weekend......i get the same tickin' noise from my Max 2.........and what i read about this tickin'....the peepz on the .org say its the valves or carbon build up on them.......something like that...can't remember right now......goin' 2 flush out the motor i think....
cool,
probably on sunday then.
i'm getting my new rotors and pads today, and I'll be putting them on tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:03 AM

Have you checked your CV joints? If you hear the ticking only when the car is in motion, that may be your culprit. Also, check your tires for any foriegn objects such as rocks.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:14 AM

thats what my maxima did when two studs were broken off the far right side of the front manifold. It ticked when it was only under load but not when I revved it up. Replaced it about 3 weeks ago and the noise is gone!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:14 AM

That's what it sounds like to me.^^^^^^
Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX
Have you checked your CV joints? If you hear the ticking only when the car is in motion, that may be your culprit. Also, check your tires for any foriegn objects such as rocks.
cv joints are fine. they we're done recently.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Penz
thats what my maxima did when two studs were broken off the far right side of the front manifold. It ticked when it was only under load but not when I revved it up. Replaced it about 3 weeks ago and the noise is gone!
well...i'm gonna check the manifold studs tomorrow and see if any of them are busted.
i know for sure that it's not an exhaust leak now.
i'm also suspecting that the ticking noise way be the lifters sticking due to car build up.
I could use a carbon cleaning anyways, so even if it's the manifold studs i'll probably get the engine flushed anyways.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by shock211

well...i'm gonna check the manifold studs tomorrow and see if any of them are busted.
i'm also suspecting that the ticking noise way be the lifters sticking due to car build up.
I could use a carbon cleaning anyways, so even if it's the manifold studs i'll probably get the engine flushed anyways.
well check all of the studs to make sure there not broken. I did not think mine was a exhuast leak either by the way it sounded, but it was.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Penz

well check all of the studs to make sure there not broken. I did not think mine was a exhuast leak either by the way it sounded, but it was.
thanx for the help...hopefully i'll figure it all out tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by shock211

Those studs are not so easy to check; I just replaced all 12 on my VG with the hi-alloy turbo studs. Five studs were broken (front & rear), but only 1 in front was missing from visual inspection.
WOW did the car ever run good once this was fixed - better than it had in 5 years or so. I came to the conclusion that I must have had broken studs for years and didn't know it. Was only hearing the ticking noise for the last 8 months of that.

The rightmost front exhaust manifold flange had both studs broken, and had warped away from the exhaust port. I'd bet thats where my ticking noise was coming from.