3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

where's ECU located on 92 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

where's ECU located on 92 GXE

Tired of the foolish and outrageous dealer, I decide to do my 92 Maxima GXE by myself as much as I can. I got a Haynes book and tried to replace fuel filter and PCV valve. According to the book, I need to erase memory from ECU. But it says nothing about where ECU located on 1992 model. I searched under the passenger seat and above the accelerator, but got no luck. Does anyone happen to have a 92 GXE and know where the ECU is located.
Even worse, the PCV valve I got doesn't fit to the hose. I guess the first owner did some adaption, he did a Tenzo air filter and a sport ingintion system, that's what I can see. Do you guys think I can switch back to the original hose? I don't want to mess up if it's one part of some adaption. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:35 AM
STFU n00b!

you should be able to switch back without much problem.. just buy an OEM valve and hose, and you should be set to go.

don't mess with the ECU- either pull the fuse for the ECU in the fuse panel, or unplug the battery for a while to reset it. you really shouldn't have to mess with resetting the ecu though if you're just doing simple stuff like that.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Matt93SE. But what do you mean by OEM? Isn't it called PCV valve and hose?
You know I have to release the fuel pressure when changing fuel filter. That's why I need to erase the memory in ECU. Are you sure unplugging battery works to this end? And unplug it for how long?

Originally posted by Matt93SE
you should be able to switch back without much problem.. just buy an OEM valve and hose, and you should be set to go.

don't mess with the ECU- either pull the fuse for the ECU in the fuse panel, or unplug the battery for a while to reset it. you really shouldn't have to mess with resetting the ecu though if you're just doing simple stuff like that.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:48 AM

O.E.M. (Orginal Equipment Manufacture). In other words, the things that orginally came with the car. As for the ECU, once you release the fuel pressure, change the fuel filter, reinstate fuel pressure and successfully start the car, the ECU will be fine. No need to erase anything. If you want to unplug the battery, leave the negative cable off for about 5 to 10 minutes. Reconnect, start car, and drive happy.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, bro

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX
O.E.M. (Orginal Equipment Manufacture). In other words, the things that orginally came with the car. As for the ECU, once you release the fuel pressure, change the fuel filter, reinstate fuel pressure and successfully start the car, the ECU will be fine. No need to erase anything. If you want to unplug the battery, leave the negative cable off for about 5 to 10 minutes. Reconnect, start car, and drive happy.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:19 AM

generally the ecu should be left alone. It learns as changes go on your max. for instance if you add a high flow filter, it adpats to the amount of air coming into the eninge and changes the fuel ratio. resetting the ecu is basically what has been already said, take off the negatve cable, and or the positive cable off. better if you let the ecu reset it self during the night. when you get home just unplug the battery connections, and let it sit like that til when you wake up and need to use the max. when you do reset the ecu, it will learn everything again, so your max might run a little funny for a few miles til it adjust it self.
btw ecu i located in the center dash. where the shifter is right behind there, also another reference is just behind the cigarret tray