3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

why are insurance company's so lousy

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:40 PM
1992 Maxima SE

why are insurance company's so lousy

My car is in the shop where a bike reended me....took me 3 weeks and several threats to get the insuracne to take my car in and fix it and supply a rental

just got a call from them or maybe it was the shop

They ordered a new taillight fixture to replace my cracked one and it has crome around it......im like GAH!! no mine is the SE...no crome....they offered me two options...take a damage consolation payment of $100 and keep the crack or take the crome taillights, because they are having a hard time finding an SE style

I said no...I have an SE...the taillights were uncracked and in nice condition...I expect it to be returned to that condition....he was like..mm ok ill see what i can do....wtf...somehow i don't trust him....this is gonna be a nightmare
Old 07-29-2003, 12:47 PM
STFU n00b!

it's not THAT hard to get the right part from the dealer. make them replace it with a NEW OEM part. most likely they're trying to purchase junkyard parts. they're allowed to do it by law on cars this old, but if they don't find the right part via salvage, they're required to buy new OEM parts.

a quick search on www.car-part.com shows several in my area for an SE from $50 to $100 each for either light or the center piece.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:49 PM

i have a rear center trunk piece off my 93 se for sale. its got a small crack on the left side. its on page 6 of my cardomain site if your interested. only asking $20 shipped.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:16 PM

Re: why are insurance company's so lousy

Originally posted by Menel
My car is in the shop where a bike reended me....took me 3 weeks and several threats to get the insuracne to take my car in and fix it and supply a rental

just got a call from them or maybe it was the shop

They ordered a new taillight fixture to replace my cracked one and it has crome around it......im like GAH!! no mine is the SE...no crome....they offered me two options...take a damage consolation payment of $100 and keep the crack or take the crome taillights, because they are having a hard time finding an SE style

I said no...I have an SE...the taillights were uncracked and in nice condition...I expect it to be returned to that condition....he was like..mm ok ill see what i can do....wtf...somehow i don't trust him....this is gonna be a nightmare
depends on the insurance company and insured. if the insured is telling them its not his fault itll take longer to get stuff done. i agree with matt though, and im an adjuster
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM

Insurance is just a big scam. Their main reason for being in the business is to make money. When it comes time to pay out anything they will di it the cheapest way possible. Did you know they will also tell the repair shops how much they are going to pay for the repair??? If the repair shop won't play ball, the owner pays the differance or is told to take it some place else.
But it's our own fault. If people would just be honest with one an other and just pay for their mistakes, and not jack up the price to repair the damage, we wouldn't need insurance companies!!!!
I think the world would be a nicer place if we were just honest with each other.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by abunai
Insurance is just a big scam. Their main reason for being in the business is to make money.
ok einstein, whats the reason anyone else goes into business? last i spoke to anyone that went into business their main reason why is to be their own boss and make tons of money.

Did you know they will also tell the repair shops how much they are going to pay for the repair???
no, youre required by law to negtiate a fair estimate in good faith. if you dont come to an agreed price then the insurance company has to be able to provide you with a repair facility that can do the repairs at their estimate and guarantee the repairs

if people would just be honest with one an other and just pay for their mistakes
when was the last time you had 3k burning a hole in your pocket in case of an accident? imagine what would happen when you rearend a mercedes

thats the reason why you have (liability)insurance, to cover the damages you cause to someone else's car, because your average joe doesnt have the money to pay for their mistakes. most repair facilities are fair and honest working people. they want to get paid for what they do and rightly so, and should get paid to do the right job. unfortunately there are still shops out there that have no moral guilt and when you rear end someone's mercedes and they take to it to "uncle lou" to take care of the damage to the front too because you, the shmuch who inconveinenced them is now gonna pay that too, thats when your insurance company protects you as the consumer and allows for what is fair and denies what isnt. this way your rates dont go up etc. dont contradict yourself. i know you dont like to pay for your insurance, neither do i, but its a nescesary evil, live with it.

so it took me like 15 minutes to cut and paste all this stuff, but i wante to get my point accross
Old 07-29-2003, 10:54 PM

Now Now, don't have a heart attack. Everyone has the right to voice their own opinion.
I think the attude of most people now days is that since they have to pay for insurance, there not worried about getting into a accident. After all it was an accident, it's not like they wanted to ram into the other car while they were talking on their cell phone.
I don't know about where you live, but here, it seems like the insurance companies have go us by the b***s.
Remember breath deep, imagine yourself in your happy place, don't get all stressed out just because some dummy like me thinks different from you.
Have a happy day!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:27 AM

shavedmax---

Normally you have wonderful inputs, and I understand your point; however, like you said, most people want to get paid for what they do. That does not seem to apply to most (not all) insurance companies. They want you pay month after month in premiums and deal with the rate increases. However, when it comes to time for them do fullfill thier part of the contract, it seems that they will do whatever they can to prolong your pain. Again, I know that does not apply to all companies, but IMO, it applies to enough. During my time, I have had my fair share of insurance complaints of them no doing what they should be doing. You literally have to quote them the law or quote them their own procedures before you can get any quaility work done.

abunai---

I agree with you one this on. Insurance seems to be a form of legalized extortion.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 AM

i'm not mad,i didnt say it to be mean, i was just trying to clear up your statements. i am not disagreeing that insurance sucks, i have paid insurance since i am 17-18 and have never had a claim paid out towards or against me, under my own policy, therefore all the money i have given them is pure profit and i got shafted. all i tried to do was clear up some of the comments made. again, most of the 3rd genners are teens/ college aged. the comment about If people would just be honest with one an other and just pay for their mistakes is nice and all, but even if everyone was honest, what 3rd genner has between 500 to 3000 bucks(average claim is 2500) just lying around to pay for damages(again most 3rd genners are teens/college aged). that is why you have insurance. how many people have gotten burned by someone who hit them that didnt have insurance and wouldnt pay either? i know a couple, thats y its manditory to have it. and i know most ins companies suck in their time to settle the loss. my company is pretty quick and very fair in what we pay, but i have heard horror stories about others, alot being big companies that tell you youre in good hands. if you looked at my first comment i completely agreed with matt. thats the right way to do it, and im speaking from an insurance prospective, so not all ins is bad.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

Insurance companies make it very easy for you to sign up and pay. BUT they make it difficult to deal with them when there is a situation that calls them to pay you(ie.. a claim). They aren't going to hold your hand to take care of you(especially when it's the other party's insurance company). What that means is that it's up to YOU to know what you are doing. That includes your rights in regards to the law and what you are entitled to as per the policy. If you know what you are doing, you CAN get satisfaction. If you don't, you will get taken advantage of. Like most things in life.
So instead of complaining about insurance companies are unfair, you should devote your time to inform yourself about how to properly deal with them. When is the last time anyone has actually READ their own policy???
Old 07-30-2003, 09:55 AM
1992 Maxima SE

oh yea..they gave me a pontiac grand am GT 2dr for rental....how does a 3.4L V6 made in 2003 with "ramair" make only 175hp? this thing feels slower than the max and it should be much lighter considering its 2dr. the much smaller 3L max makes 190hp....pitiful

anyway, yes im one of those "away at college 3rdgenners"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
. . . What that means is that it's up to YOU to know what you are doing. That includes your rights in regards to the law and what you are entitled to as per the policy. If you know what you are doing, you CAN get satisfaction. If you don't, you will get taken advantage of. Like most things in life.
So instead of complaining about insurance companies are unfair, you should devote your time to inform yourself about how to properly deal with them. . .
I admit I don't what my rights are completely. but I do know what I expect and that i want my car fixed...when they wouldn't give me a rental because im under 21 and becuae i didn't have collision I knew that wasn't right...and after 3 weeks and 2 claims adjusters and 2 levels of managers of them telling me that their company policy wouldn't cover the cost of putting collison insuracne on me that the rental company required, I found someone that could bypass that.

And now as posted above they are giving me crap about now wanting to completely fix the car....and I stated there..that I insisted that their 2 choices were not adequate and that im keeping the rental car until they return mine to original condition.

yes i am comlpaining about them being unfair...its unfair that the process should be a pain in the *** and it take near legal action to get things done correctly
Old 07-30-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Menal, I wasn't really directing the post at you. More to the other guys that think insurance companies are a "scam".

It's pretty simple really. If they give you crap, just say, my door didn't have all these little paint mistakes before I got hit, so they shouldn't be there AFTER either! About the rental, they might say, well you can keep the car but we will only pay until xxx date. Play hardball, say I'm entitled to a car until you return the car back to where it was before the accident. If YOUR shop takes too long to accomplish that, take it up with them, not me.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 AM
1992 Maxima SE

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Menal, I wasn't really directing the post at you. More to the other guys that think insurance companies are a "scam".

It's pretty simple really. If they give you crap, just say, my door didn't have all these little paint mistakes before I got hit, so they shouldn't be there AFTER either! About the rental, they might say, well you can keep the car but we will only pay until xxx date. Play hardball, say I'm entitled to a car until you return the car back to where it was before the accident. If YOUR shop takes too long to accomplish that, take it up with them, not me.
note i tweaked some stuff in my previous post at exctly 1:04 when you posted yours haha..im always doing that....never content with what i originall say....

but...yes I don't intend to let them charge me. I have forms from the rental car company saying that progressive is paying the fees, and I am told by the claims rep that when I goto pick up my max that I get to look over it and be sure everything is back to the original condition. and sign some type of release form before the whole deal is finished and the rental car is returned....so Ill get the final decision...i guarantee that

on another note, when does everyone spell my nick Menal? i don't get it
Old 08-04-2003, 05:27 PM
1992 Maxima SE

thought i might update everyone if you care.

friday they called and told me my max was ready

i get there and the guy that meets me want my rental car keys so that he can check mileage..i didn't think any thing of it...and forfeited them...i hadn't signed any release papers after all

They bring the max around to me. and i look at it...the bumper is still dented in, they just painted over it.

the license plate is now missing the month sticker, and besides the black rubber marks from the motorcycle, it now has paint overspray making the plate even harder to read....and they drilled a screw right through it into the licesne plate mount of the bumper instead of fixing things properly
(one side had borken apart at the wreck and i had used a tie-wrap to hold it back up)

the lower left fender is still buckeld and crunched in, and the rear turn signal/reverse light section is bent in some

in the end all they did was replace a reflecter and paint the bumper.

when I refused to give up the rental car and leave with my max unrepaired. I was at mercy of the man there because he had the rental keys or i would have swiftly hoped back in and left with not another thing said. in my stubornness not to leave until they agreed to fix the max and let me keep rental or give me paperwork saying that they were unfinished with repairs. they called the cops on me. 3 squad car and 4 offices and I was forced to vacate the rental and take the max.

they even revoked the paperwork that contained what ahd been repaired on my car. while i was moving my stuff from rental over to my max the rep went over and removed it from the dash of my car...cops didn't seem to mind...and i was argued out and didn't wanna goto jail...parents are 100miles north of me..im away living on campus

they are ****ed though.

im working things out...already been in touch with my insurance company who ive given all my details to, names ,phone numbers etc. she was going to contact hte president of claims affairs ( or something like that) was getting late in the day and they also told me to contact the georgia safety and insurance commissioner with certified mail and a phone call and CC progressive headquaters. dad got something sturred at proggressive and when i got home today at my apt. a very shaked up representative of progressive left me a message time stamped by my answer machine at 4:53pm right at the end of the work day , to contact him asap.

*edited the time..he left message
Old 08-04-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Menel
thought i might update everyone if you care.

friday they called and told me my max was ready

i get there and the guy that meets me want my rental car keys so that he can check mileage..i didn't think any thing of it...and forfeited them...i hadn't signed any release papers after all

They bring the max around to me. and i look at it...the bumper is still dented in, they just painted over it.

the license plate is now missing the month sticker, and besides the black rubber marks from the motorcycle, it now has paint overspray making the plate even harder to read....and they drilled a screw right through it into the licesne plate mount of the bumper instead of fixing things properly
(one side had borken apart at the wreck and i had used a tie-wrap to hold it back up)

the lower left fender is still buckeld and crunched in, and the rear turn signal/reverse light section is bent in some

in the end all they did was replace a reflecter and paint the bumper.

when I refused to give up the rental car and leave with my max unrepaired. I was at mercy of the man there because he had the rental keys or i would have swiftly hoped back in and left with not another thing said. in my stubornness not to leave until they agreed to fix the max and let me keep rental or give me paperwork saying that they were unfinished with repairs. they called the cops on me. 3 squad car and 4 offices and I was forced to vacate the rental and take the max.

they even revoked the paperwork that contained what ahd been repaired on my car. while i was moving my stuff from rental over to my max the rep went over and removed it from the dash of my car...cops didn't seem to mind...and i was argued out and didn't wanna goto jail...parents are 100miles north of me..im away living on campus

they are ****ed though.

im working things out...already been in touch with my insurance company who ive given all my details to, names ,phone numbers etc. she was going to contact hte president of claims affairs ( or something like that) was getting late in the day and they also told me to contact the georgia safety and insurance commissioner with certified mail and a phone call and CC progressive headquaters. dad got something sturred at proggressive and when i got home today at my apt. a very shaked up representative of progressive left me a message time stamped by my answer machine at 4:53pm right at the end of the work day , to contact him asap.

*edited the time..he left message

that sucks, i feel your pain
Old 08-04-2003, 06:37 PM

What insurance company is this????
Old 08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
1992 Maxima SE

its in my posts a couple times i beleive.. its Progressive

well..i guess not too clearly
Old 08-04-2003, 08:02 PM

yeah but the shop screwed you over more than progressive did
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM

still....COPS??? thats crazy dude, hope it works out alright.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

that is crazy...I would think the cops should be on your side wheither the shop called them or not.

contact the BBB as well as anyone else you can think of
Old 08-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually, I'm surprised they didn't total the car. It sounds like you had enough damage that it would have been close. Since they decided not to do that, though, seems to me they now have the obligation to make it as it was before the accident. No more, no less. If that turns out to be more than what they thought it was going to be, too bad for them. They had a chance to cut their losses at the beginning by totalling the car. Sounds like you may get some satisfaction, though, since the progressive guy called you back...good luck!