3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help. Stillen front lip....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 08:20 PM

Ive just got mine from the group deal. It looks pretty and all, but i need to install it, I tried it this afternoon, but it looks like I might have to chop up some of the oem bumper for it to fit.

Has anyone installed this front lip themselves??

And all these rivets that came with it, there is nothing to rivet to! WTF. Im pretty upset with Stillen, they dont even provide you with a cheap *** hand drawn sketch of more or less what to bolt or rivet where! No instructions whatsoever, only info on how to paint it. That is mostly common sense.

Im gonna have a friend look into installing the lip, seeing as hes top body man now and all at the shop hes at.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Old 02-05-2001, 08:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yup, pretty hard DIY.....

I had a body shop at my old job install it for me, I had to cut the edges of my fog light bar to make the SOB fit though!

Originally posted by trbo
Ive just got mine from the group deal. It looks pretty and all, but i need to install it, I tried it this afternoon, but it looks like I might have to chop up some of the oem bumper for it to fit.

Has anyone installed this front lip themselves??

And all these rivets that came with it, there is nothing to rivet to! WTF. Im pretty upset with Stillen, they dont even provide you with a cheap *** hand drawn sketch of more or less what to bolt or rivet where! No instructions whatsoever, only info on how to paint it. That is mostly common sense.

Im gonna have a friend look into installing the lip, seeing as hes top body man now and all at the shop hes at.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Old 02-06-2001, 10:42 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I got mine the other day too. I put mine up on the car to see what it would look like and it would almost stay just on it's own, so did the rear! I don't foresee any probs, it fits tight! I wonder, mine has the oem driving lights, does yours?
Old 02-06-2001, 03:59 PM

I kinda figured that some chopping up would possibly be necessary, and exactly at that point mentioned, by the fogs.

The very bottom of the lip has nothing to hold on to other than a plastic lip from the oem bumper cover.
Oh well, a chopping I will go! :-P

And yes, I have foglights, not oem, but same size, theyre the bosch ones, kinda bulky, but nicely rounded edges, its rectangular, and with a yellow lens.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:40 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

No cutting should be needed

When I installed my complete kit, yes the front piece was the hardest due to the contour of the bumper. My kit only came with double side tape. But I did use pop rivets in area where they couldn't be seen like behind the fog light assembly and in the wheel well area. It's definately not a one person DIY, need a extra set of hands when mounting the tape
Old 02-06-2001, 06:12 PM

Well, my last option will be to cut. Im gonna try to heat up the molding and see how flexible it is and if it can even be molded further. I cant see it being able to flex like so, but my buddy says urethane is very flexible when heated properly, so well see what magic he can do. If he can unwrinkle my friends M3 hood from a recent collision, without bondo, then he can do this no prob.
He repairs most of his side jobs by metal finishing procedures, he hates bondo. So I just have to confide in him. Id like to be able to keep the lip when i decide to sell the car, so i can pass it on to one of you guys out there.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:20 PM

Read the emails that you have recieved

Did you read the email from Phuong?

===

"- All the bodykit orders are good to go. To keep the boxes within the
shipping size for FedEx Ground (same for UPS), some of the pieces are
slightly bend to fit within the box. Since they're urethane, they can be
straightened out with a heat gun or placed in the paint room/bake room at
the body shop. As stated in the instructions, please pre-fit all items
before they are painted/sanded/drilled/etc. Also, the two-sided tape
Stillen includes isn't the greatest. Most bodyshops will use the better 3M
two-sided tape.
"
Old 02-06-2001, 06:28 PM

yes, i did get the email, but where its bent due to shipping is not my concern, i can see that being taken care of with no sweat. Its in the area by the fogs, the contour of the oem bumper cover is not exactly that of the Stillen lip. Thats my main question, is do i have to cut that are of the bumper cover.