3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

turbo update

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

turbo update

Well, here is the update on my car. I am very close to getting it totally going. It would be running if it wasn't for the stupid Apexi S-AFC II not doing it's job. I plan on getting an eprom burnt for my spare ecu to control the bigger injectors but it could be a while before it's done. Here is the updated picture of the engine bay. Also, check out my cardomain page. I finally have it fully updated with some pointers on the engine swap. Also if you could put some votes in on my car that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

1G Eclipse bov?? is that an MSD BTM or just a regular 6AL? looks interesting I'd really like to see some closer shots of how that shop did your manifold setup! interesting setup you're trying to use the AFC to run the 259ccs on the stock Maxima ECU??
Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

lookin' good man!
can't wait to hear you say it's finished.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:48 PM

MSD 6AL. That thing is friggin' awesome! The power of the spark is insane. I'll get some pictures of the manifold tomorrow when there is some more light. Yeah, i'm trying to turn down the injectors a bit but it's not working for me. It's actually not doing anything which makes me think it's not setup or hooked up right but i can't find anyone that has use one on a third gen. On eclipses they control 555 cc injectors using the afc just fine (although i don't know what size the stock injectors are on those).
Old 07-31-2003, 09:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by mtcookson
On eclipses they control 555 cc injectors using the afc just fine (although i don't know what size the stock injectors are on those).
stock 5spd turbo Eclipse is 450cc..I have a set I'm using for my Teg. they use an AFC hack on Hondas as well to control 450cc DSM injectors. I might do this to control my 450s or go Zdyne. fortunately for us, we have pretty a set formula when doing this--> http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm

we did this on two of my friends turbo B16s and it worked like a charm, a little rough when you let off throttle though. as for setting it to work on a Maxima...man thats tough, its kinda hard when you have no base to start from!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:08 PM

yeah, it's a pain. i am pretty sure i have the wiring correct. the settings on the afc i'm not sure about though. i also think my tps might be bad. when the engine is off i will get a 0 to 100% reading but when it on i can only get it to 80-90%. Also, according to the test in the [p]aynes book it is bad. The test says 1 ohm when closed and 9 ohm when open. It is 1 ohm when closed but their is no connection when the throttle is open. I'm going to pick up a tps soon to see if that works hopefully.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:27 PM

i don't see a MAF, do you even need a maf?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:30 PM

the maf is all of the way in the back and yeah, it's needed. on the programmable ecu's they tend to not use them but they are probably the best way to meter air.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm
whoa, why do they run the low throttle at 98%? that seems aweful high...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by mtcookson whoa, why do they run the low throttle at 98%? that seems aweful high...
I think thats only an example, on Hondas 71% usually is what most suggest.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Banned

DAMN...BRO

Looking good man...

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/skyliner_92se
Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 AM

I think thats only an example, on Hondas 71% usually is what most suggest.
i see. they had an awesome idea on there of using the secondary intake signal and hooking the o2 sensor up to it. i'm going to go try that. i should be able to get a much better idea of what the a/f mixture is using the voltage instead of reading leds.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:53 PM

i hooked up my s-afc to the o2 sensor today and found out that the sensor is bad... hmm... i wonder if that is cause of my woes...

oh well, i'll grab one soon hopefully and see what happens.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:52 PM

For about the same money as the S-AFC II you can get a Greddy E-Manage. While it's still a piggyback unit it functions more like a standalone. It can control both fuel and ignition (The S-AFC has an effect on timing when you richen or lean it that is not controlable). The software to tune the unit is now available in english and for free from their website. It has datalogging features... For the extra $100 or so I think I would tend to lean in that direction.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:30 PM

good luck! I hope the O2 solves all your problems
Old 08-01-2003, 11:14 PM

i have an ok ignition controller. i got it for 25 bucks too! so, i think that should be fine. i actually wouldn't mind getting the greddy over the apexi... but now i'm somewhat screwed since i bought it off of ebay.

hopefully the o2 sensor will do something.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:56 PM

I'd really like to see some closer shots of how that shop did your manifold setup!
As you requested here are some more shots of the manifold. This is just the crossover pipe segment with the "walls" and t3 flange welded on. The heat wrap kind of covers the crossover pipe so you can't really tell what it is but all it is a a mandrel bent pipe that arched perfect to meet the two manifolds. The all he had to do was cut off the flanges that were on the old crossover pipe and welded them onto the new. If you want some more pictures of different parts of it let me know and I'll get some more.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

piping setup looks good!

as for volt readings on the A/F, couple guys on HT are already doing this with standard voltmeters, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've been looking into doing this myself and to avoid using some cheesy light show A/F gauge I'll probably go with one of these if I can get it for the same price as an average voltmeter (I'm not bidding on it so feel free to! )---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425976305

who knows if its anymore accurate than a standard voltmeter, but if I can get it cheap than might as well try.

Originally posted by mtcookson
i see. they had an awesome idea on there of using the secondary intake signal and hooking the o2 sensor up to it. i'm going to go try that. i should be able to get a much better idea of what the a/f mixture is using the voltage instead of reading leds.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 PM

yeah, those seems to be a little bit better than the led ones. it's amazing that just .02-.04 volts could make a difference from blowing up the engine or having good power. i may invest in one of those down the road but for now i'll just use the s-afc to read the voltage.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:52 PM

those off ebay look like a pretty neat and cheap alternative to the good ol light show a/f gauge
Old 08-03-2003, 10:12 PM

piping setup looks good!

as for volt readings on the A/F, couple guys on HT are already doing this with standard voltmeters, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've been looking into doing this myself and to avoid using some cheesy light show A/F gauge I'll probably go with one of these if I can get it for the same price as an average voltmeter (I'm not bidding on it so feel free to! )---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425976305

who knows if its anymore accurate than a standard voltmeter, but if I can get it cheap than might as well try.
If you've ever seen an AF meter work in realtime you'd know those digital readouts would be almost worthless. In actual use they will fluctuate from lean to rich and back continuously. It's only when you boot it that the gauge actually gives you a reading that's worth anything. But a three digit display is going to be more confusion then help as it will NEVER settle. It just has TO MUCH resolution.

Most gauges on the market have only 10 leds to denote the whole scale. My favorite, the HalMeter-AF has thirty leds broken into three grops of 10. Red-Green-Red for Lean-Rich-Lean. Consider that a three digit display has 1000.

And after all that, it's the resolution and acuracy of the O2 sensor that the REAL limiting factor.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

true, thus why I'm hesitant to buy one....but like I said the price isn't too bad for a trial and many on HT and DSM tuner are using the same methods to track the voltage just like the AFC blue wire mod does...other than going full out wide-band I much rather see some sort of voltage off the O2 rather than having my old Nordskog with its flashing light bar show

Originally posted by shoult

If you've ever seen an AF meter work in realtime you'd know those digital readouts would be almost worthless. In actual use they will fluctuate from lean to rich and back continuously. It's only when you boot it that the gauge actually gives you a reading that's worth anything. But a three digit display is going to be more confusion then help as it will NEVER settle. It just has TO MUCH resolution.

Most gauges on the market have only 10 leds to denote the whole scale. My favorite, the HalMeter-AF has thirty leds broken into three grops of 10. Red-Green-Red for Lean-Rich-Lean. Consider that a three digit display has 1000.

And after all that, it's the resolution and acuracy of the O2 sensor that the REAL limiting factor.