3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:21 PM

Some Questions

I have a question... I am new to the '94 Nissan Maxima. My aunt is giving me one that has 250,000miles on it , and needs a new altenator... It's not the best, but the car is free , and will be staying in my garage to be fixed. The transmission was said that it might go bad soon, but I don't know when.

Well here are the questions...

1.) Do all '94 Nissan Maximas come with a Bose sound system?, If so, do they have CD players?

2.) Is it hard to replace the altenator?, How much do they cost?

3.) I have been reading up about a lot of '94 Maximas, but nobody says how many miles they have on theirs, how long does the Maxima usually last?

4.) Can I replace parts in the tranmission, and hope that will solve my transmission problems?

Thanks for looking and I will post more when I get the car tomorrow (Sunday, August 3rd, 2003)

=->Evil Twin<-=
Old 08-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

trannies are usually big money, its oftern best to get one from a yard. The alternator is easy to replace, about 20 minutes. I don't know how much they cost, as I've never seen one go bad. I think Bose was an option unless it is an SE. I don't know about the CD player. 250,000 is getting up there, but not if it was maintained I don't know why it should be a problem.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Some Questions

1.) Do all '94 Nissan Maximas come with a Bose sound system?, If so, do they have CD players?

They can be added via an aftermarket one, as just about everyone has already done. You can get a converter from your local car audio shop so the new deck can work with the existing Bose speakers (provided that you have them and they still work).

2.) Is it hard to replace the altenator?, How much do they cost?

Alternator's are spendy. Get your's checked out at your local Shucks (or whatever). They'll know what to do.

4.) Can I replace parts in the tranmission, and hope that will solve my transmission problems?

If you have enough skill to replace parts int he transmission, I doubt that you would ask that question to begin with. Now, as others will probably recommend (in posts to come), when you have to replace just pieces, it probably is best to replace the whole tham ding.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies...

What do you think I should do to the car first?...(as in upgrades/modify)
This is my first car, and I'm going to try to keep it as nice as possible.

=->Evil Twin<-=
Old 08-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

1. no not all 94 maximas have bose...all SEs have bose and it was an option on the GXE.

2. no its not hard at all and can be done with simple hand tools.

3. the maxima will last a long time with proper maint...you will have little things fail which is common for a 9 or 10 year old car.

4. no just get it rebuilt by someone that knows transmissions or buy a remanufactured unit.

as far as what to do first...always do maint. first. Make sure the car is running good and everything is taken care of. You dont want to mod and then not be able to drive it because you neglected the routine stuff...after that then you have to decide what you want. Do you want looks, performance, handling or a combination of all 3.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Banned

3) the mechanic i took my car to told me maximas will easily run over 300K miles before they start to go. how factual that really is, i dont know.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:53 AM

Has anybody heard of this spray on window tinter?... My friend did it to his car, and everybody says it looks good. He used it on the back tail lights, and smoked them good. How reliable is this stuff?

=->Evil Twin<-=