3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with my rear rotors for my 90' Maxima :bawling:

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help with my rear rotors for my 90' Maxima :bawling:

I'm replacing my 90 maxima's discs and pads today. I did front with no problem..... But when i got to the back there was a problem. Both sides where really tight and held on to the rotor and I had to pound them off. One side the pads were not in that bad of shape but i replaced them anyway. Tried to push the piston back in but parking brake adjuster (what i think is causing the problem). wouldnt let the piston be pushed back in. Since the pads were about the same size as the original they fit and i could sqeeze the caliper on the rotor. (the piston moved in about 2 mm when i used a c clamp on it before i installed the new pads and then stopped). Should have been able to move it more but couldn't was very solid. Even if I opened the bleeder screw and the brake hose line didn't help.

The other side was a different story. The piston is pushed out far. And the adjuster for the parking brake only goes one way. I cant put the pads on beacuse the piston is pushed out in a way that I can barely fit both pads in with about 1mm between them. I tried pushing the piston in with a c clamp but it didn't work. (tried 8 times) Just kept sitting in the same place and was very solid. I can't figure out how to make the adjuster back off or to reset it. Can someone help me?
Please
Thanks

Old 08-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

is the caliper frozen?? a few weeks ago the rear left piston was stuck out on my Integra(and my Maxima in the past), turned out to be frozen, so I just got a new caliper from Autozone.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:40 PM

The rear caliper pistons have to be turned to retract them. There should be 4 notches in the piston face. There is a tool you can buy for under $10 to go on a 3/8" ratchet that engages the notches and makes it easier to turn, but you can use a large pair of needle nosed pliers in two notches opposite each other and screw the piston back into the caliper. Just make sure that the notches line up with the small "pins" on the back of the new pads. You may have to turn the piston out slightly from the fully screwed in position to do this. They have to match up or the pads will end up cocked in the caliper and not make full contact with the pistons.

On the side where the old pads were the same thickness as the new ones, you may have a stuck caliper. The side with the worn pads is probably working as it should. Also, check the e-brake levers and cables for freedom of movement. I had a cable seize up once and the e-brake didn't work on that side.